Advice needed regarding spray tan!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinead1989

Reaction score
Hi all

So I did a spray tan on thur eve. She was happy when I left and hadn't heard anything from her until today. She's messaged me saying

'Honey can I book in for another spray tan please, the one I had seems to have taken on arms and legs but not on tummy and bust area.'

I really don't know what to say it was a half price spray tan anyway ( not saying that makes it ok to do a bad job) and don't feel I should be offering a free spray tan at all 4 days later. She's not actually asked for a free one but I'm sure its what shes getting at. but I don't want to go and there be a confrontation when I ask for money. Any suggestions on what to say would be greatly appreciated :) xxx

You could say, no problem and that you'll do it for her half price again like you did the last time.

Yea I think I William just feel awkward because of the way she's worded it!

That's tricky, I've had this before with a hair client, in my situation I weighed up the options, will they be a valuable client you want to keep or are they going to be a pain all the time, you could always give them the benefit of the doubt this once and do it but state that its good will etc and If it happens again you know to charge full price or don't go back. Or you could just say fine and ill honor it at half price again for you and see what she says but I would make it clear before you get there wether you are charging or not save any conflict or embarrassment. Hope that helps :)

I definitely don't think you should be giving her anything free. She's taken 4 days to get back to you, if she was that annoyed about it she would have been in contact straight away.

Offer her another at half price as a gesture of goodwill as the other geeks have said. Make sure it's clear that she has to pay for this to avoid any awkwardness at the appointment.

It could just be her skin, as I find my tummy in particular never takes properly but it doesn't tan in natural sun light very well either.

Thank you. Most definitely won't be a loyal client just booked as half price offer on! People like this annoy me so much, who gets a spray tan for the weekend not happy with it but waits till the Monday to complain!!!

Hang on a minute...... Everyone's offering advice (I'm not passing comment in whether or not its viable advice here..) but not one person has picked up on the fact that the client isn't happy with her tan!! She hasn't complained just said it didn't take well on the tummy and bust area..... BEFORE you go stressing (dare I use the word Judging?) about her motives, loyalty and what freebies she is after .....
Look at the facts....
Firstly she hasn't suggested she wants ANYTHING free at all
Secondly she states the tan didn't take too well in a specific area
Thirdly she would like another tan!!

My advice to you is take her comments on the chin, book her in, (be grateful she hasn't gone around slagging you off as some clients would, she still wants to come back to you)
Once you see her face to face,
Question her on the tan she wasn't happy with and use your professional opinion on how to assess the situation and what to offer......
There are a million and one reasons the tan didn't take, It could've been the clients fault (accidental) or it may even have been you (everyone makes mistakes!) a good therapist can determine what's happened when questioning the client 9 times out of 10
What you offer her is up to you ultimately but I feel here that your immediate response (and everyone else's) was about what she wanted for free!! Which wasn't the point!!

Personally I would tan her for 1/2 the original price and give her a voucher to a 20% off tan (pre booked) as a gesture of goodwill. I would contact her the day after her tan to see if she was happy with the outcome. I would pay attention to the area she wasn't happy with when tanning her and gently remind her of aftercare instructions in particular ones that may affect that area.
I hope this helps
Xx

Sometimes if the client hasn't exfoliated well beforehand she may still have traces of cream etc on her skin. I know body butter can be a bit of a problem with tanning as it builds up over time and you need to really exfoliate well to remove it all.

Maybe she didn't exfoliate on her stomach and bust area but really gave her arms and legs a good scrub.

If you do spray her again, just make sure she removes all traces of the old tan as it may go patchy if old tan is being covered with new tan .

Had she contacted me the following day with the fact she wasn't happy would have been a completely different situation and would have offered a foc tan than could have been redone the same day (based on seeing tan). My comments come from the fact that 4 days after her tan (and her nights out) she now wants another one! Yes I did jump to conclusions of her wanting a free tan and that is what I was asking advise on as I didn't want to get there and be put in the position of an awkward conversation especially as I would have been in her home.

Also 5 days later I couldn't make a decision on it as it will have faded by then anyway.

Give her a call , state that it will be your normal price ( or your half price deal) and see what she says. If she isn't happy with that, explain that she should have contacted you straight away if there was a problem, not 4-5days after when the whole tans faded anyway. Sometimes, I think we worry ourselves and jump to conclusions before I've even spoken to the client.

Clients can be very brave by text but put them on the spot, be professional and assertive and often they will agree to whatever you say. If she doesn't, that's your terms and if she doesn't like it , she can do one!!

Latest posts

Back