Agony with my hands!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deb32

Reaction score
HI GUYS,

CAN ANYONE HELP ME MY HANDS HAVE STARTED TO HURT AND BLISTERS HAVE COME ON ME FINGERS, AND ON MY THUMBS HAVE STARTED TO CRACK AT THE TOP OF THE NAILS ON THE SKIN, ANY SUGGESTIONS OF WHAT IT IS? OR WHAT I CAN DO? I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS THE GEL BUT I HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR AWHILE SO I THOUGHT NOT BUT THEN I THOUGHT IS IT THE WAX I AM USING JUST NOT SURE IF IT IS THAT, JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO AND NOW I AM

BABLING ON!!!!
:hug:

Well you are reacting to something and it is most likely the gel you are using. It will only get worse and worse if you continue to use it.

Overexposure and allergy happen over time so nothing unusual in that at all.

Change your gel as fast as you can to something like CND Brisa gels which are hypoallergenic and do not contain any of the most known allergens contained in other gels.. Many who are allergic to gels get on just fine with Brisa. Shellac is also hypoallergenic in line with Brisa gels. Even Retention + monomer is less likey to cause allergy than other monomers.

Last edited:
ouch! Sounds like the same thing I had a few years back with a gel I was using. Contact dermatitis is really painful and unless you do something about it really quickly then it will only get worse. Try the Brisa gels by CND as geeg says and you should notice a difference.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this problem couple of years ago, got so bad i had to stop doing tretments til it started to clear, dont let it get to that!!! it turned out i was allergic to a product i de been using for YEARS tried every cream going but nothing worked! try cutting out a product a wk then you ll be able to see if they clear up. not much more than that u can do? my boss at the time sent me to a dermatologist so i was lucky !!!!! Good Luck i feel your pain! lol

I started getting little blisters so I always wear gloves now.

I started getting little blisters so I always wear gloves now.

Hi, i did wear gloves thinking it would help but woke up in the morning and i was itching like mad still, i never thought it would happen to me x

I could relate, gloves didn't help. it seems where ever I apply pressure to my finger, like where you hold the file or the brush and the client's fingers, thats where it breaks out. sadly it only started after I used gels, so I stopped using it for a while, and it still break out.
It seems once the damage has been done, it will always get aggravated by pressured touch.
I went further to think it was the glove, latex so I switched to vinyl same thing. I further investigated gloves and its porousity, it is porous I learned. and after half hour of liquid touching the gloves they become more porous, (by researchers) so I change them, it has helped a little, in that, the blisters don't appear, just swelling the next day. because it dries the skin then cracks it, I keep it bathed in coco butter, and vit e oil, to help with the healing. after 4 days the irritating feeling is reduced and so is the swelling, thats when the cracks and itching begins.

did some further testing, wash hands thoroughly, because the dust from filing adds to the irritation. don't let it get on your lips, apparently,its the type of skin that becomes irritated. don't let the folds get broken to avoid bacteria and fungus. still testing, planning to try benadryl lotion and callamine lotion before i put the glove on, to reduce irritation. I really wished this never happened but now I have to cope.. I love doing nails!!!

sorry for the long reading.. hope to post some pictures next time

Hi, i did wear gloves thinking it would help but woke up in the morning and i was itching like mad still, i never thought it would happen to me x

i was allergic to the biosculpture sanitiser, the gloves seemed to make it irritate me even more!

It's quiet possible that along with a reaction to the gel, or assatone (sp) you could develope a latex intolerance.
Once you develope a problem with one product it's as if your body dicides to say ENOUGH to any and everything that you can possibly be sensitive to.
One thing for sure, you should see your doctor about getting a medicated cream that will help calm things down along with taking messures to stop the problem geting any worse.
Latex free gloves don't cost a lot more per box and they would be the first thing I would buy so that I could wear them to decomtaminate my work place. Don't panic:lol: anti bactirial wipes are all you need to wipe down all your hard surfaces and barbacide takes care of all your tools.
Then yes, I would change the gel in use, but I'd still wear gloves while working, I've been through all this with my daughter, her problem turned out to be the lemon oil that goes into a lot of washing up liquids as well as house hold cleaners. It drove her mad, well mader:lol:

Oh and I bought some barrier cream from my local wholesalers that was good to put on before doing nails, stopped anything getting on your skin x

i was allergic to the biosculpture sanitiser, the gloves seemed to make it irritate me even more!

The B/S sanitiser did it to me too.

NSI Nail Pure Plus seems to be ok though & it helps to prevent infections.

I started having serious contact dermatitus year ago when i started hairdressing, I had patch tests etc but seemed to be allergic to just about everything. I have to use a perscribed hydorcortizone (sp) cream from the docs if I have an outbreak but in between..... and I know your gonna laugh and not belive me.........I use udder cream ! yep udder cream, ment to be used on.... udders ! stops them cracking and getting sore ! I have spoken to lots of farm people ( I live in a small village, loads of horsey and farm people ) and they all swear by it !
I had run out of my usual barrier cream and the doc asked what I'd been using I told her and thought she'd fall off her seat laughing, but she said she knows alot of people use it and recons its majical stuff !
its sooooo cheap and you can buy it from most places that sell horse/animal/farm stuff.

I started having serious contact dermatitus year ago when i started hairdressing, I had patch tests etc but seemed to be allergic to just about everything. I have to use a perscribed hydorcortizone (sp) cream from the docs if I have an outbreak but in between..... and I know your gonna laugh and not belive me.........I use udder cream ! yep udder cream, ment to be used on.... udders ! stops them cracking and getting sore ! I have spoken to lots of farm people ( I live in a small village, loads of horsey and farm people ) and they all swear by it !
I had run out of my usual barrier cream and the doc asked what I'd been using I told her and thought she'd fall off her seat laughing, but she said she knows alot of people use it and recons its majical stuff !
its sooooo cheap and you can buy it from most places that sell horse/animal/farm stuff.

If it works who cares. What make is it I should look for?

I also have skin problems but it really helped when we put a water softener in.

What barrier cream are you all using? Ta

I need some!! Have had a little google search on it and it can be easily bought online. Thanks! :hug:

Latest posts

Back