Ah But NSS Nails Stay Put

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremities

Reaction score
I am tired of hearing this from new clients, who have come to me from NSS salons or people that go on about how cheap NSs salons are and how can i charge so much.

A hairdresser I met recently actually told me that she loves the look of NSs nails, even though they hurt for days afterwards, the technician doesn't speak english, and no sanitation is used.

How can anyone really believe that this is good practice.

I have moved to the South Coast from Surrey and am doing full permanent french sets for £37.50, compared to £50.00 that I was charging in Surrey, which I consider to be a good price. The NSS salons round here charge between £28.00 and £35.00 and that doesn't include any extras, also charge for breakages.

I include one breakage free in my prices, do nail art and include a free u.v. top gloss and still people complain.

I have come to the decision that I don't want these clients anyway. Does anyone else feel the same.

I miss my clients from Surrey, who were happy to pay top prices for a good service.

Just ranting lol!

I am tired of hearing this from new clients, who have come to me from NSS salons or people that go on about how cheap NSs salons are and how can i charge so much.

A hairdresser I met recently actually told me that she loves the look of NSs nails, even though they hurt for days afterwards, the technician doesn't speak english, and no sanitation is used.

I have moved to the South Coast from Surrey and am doing full permanent french sets for £37.50, compared to £50.00 that I was charging in Surrey, which I consider to be a good price. The NSS salons round here charge between £28.00 and £35.00 and that doesn't include any extras, also charge for breakages.

I include one breakage free in my prices, do nail art and include a free u.v. top gloss and still people complain.

I have come to the decision that I don't want these clients anyway. Does anyone else feel the same.

I miss my clients from Surrey, who were happy to pay top prices for a good service.

Just ranting lol!

Welcome to sunny Sussex - my town is the same

NSS nails do stay put BUT ... AT THE EXPENSE OF THE HEALTH AND INTEGRITY OF THE NATURAL NAILS.

Other nails also stay put, but your natural nails also stay healthy and intact.

I do believe that many technicians (particularly those who compete) sometimes loose their sense of reality when working in the real world and make their enhancements so thin that they break easily and more frequently than they should. Clients do not like this!!

Enhancements can be made a little thicker and still look thin provided you keep the free edge thin. Your clients will suffer fewer breakages. If the free edge looks thin, then the whole enhancement will appear to be thin even if it is not.

Try it.

I totally agree with you Geeg. In fact my nails do not budge either i.e. it is very rare that a client comes back for their infills with any missing nails.

I am just noticing that when I chat to anyone in my area about nails, they all say "we know that the NSS salon nails will stay on, even though we know that our nails are being damaged".

I try and tell them that mine stay on too, but they say they have had others that just ping off (lol!), so they stick with what they know.

Someone even told me the other day that she was told that gel was kinder to natural nails, when I told her that gel/acrylic were the same chemically, she looked at me like I was mad.

I think I will not bother anymore and willl let my nails speak for themselves. By the way, my nails are thin at the free edge and do not break.

totally agree with you Sam.

The last place I worked in, we always had clients that have been to the nss nail bars and they ask you to remove their ' enhancements' for them,
why do they not have them removed there?
I used to hate having to do it, it took ages, these clients were not going to be potential clients as their nails are so buggered underneath!!!

ps I was a surrey lass!!

Price is all about perception. If you go to a beauty counter and have a moisturiser that costs £10 and one that costs £100 the perception is that the £100 will be better for you, have better ingredients, work better, make you feel better. Yet in reality that MAY not be the case and often you are paying for the packaging and marketing behind it rather than what is in the jar. BUT that perception that it costs more makes it better is still there, but you will always have a market for both.

If SOME people don't want to pay your prices then that's their perogative. BUT there are many people who will, they just have to find you. Take a look at the advertising style and marketing of the more expensive hair salons in your area - why can they charge a premium when often the hair cut and colour is no better than the cheaper one right next door? And then promote yourself in a similar fashion.

Sometimes it's just a case of being brave and rising above the "Custcotters" mentality and looking for the "designer labels" brigade!

Someone even told me the other day that she was told that gel was kinder to natural nails, when I told her that gel/acrylic were the same chemically, she looked at me like I was mad.

Well you actually are not correct there!!

All gels are from the acrylic family, but they are not the same as L&P "acrylic".

Only Brisa Gels are based on Methacrylate L&P technology ... no other gels are. NONE.

Well you actually are not correct there!!

All gels are from the acrylic family, but they are not the same as L&P "acrylic".

Only Brisa Gels are based on Methacrylate L&P technology ... no other gels are. NONE.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread Sam but do you know of a thread Geeg where this difference between Brisa and other gels has been explained in more detail?

Thank you Geeg for putting me straight about Acrylic and Gel.

I was told my trainer when I was doing my NVQ that acrylic and gel were the same chemically. i.e. Liquid and powder you had to get the correct ratio and mix yourself, whereas gel was same thing, but ready mixed.

So in future I will say that acrylic and gel both come from the acrylic family, but the only gel that is the same as acrylic is BRISA Gel.

Just out of interest, what is it about Brisa that makes it different or better than any other gel on the market?

A few things that make Brisa Gels Cutting edge and totally different.

Brisa gels are Methacrylate based rather than Acrylate based.
Brisa Gels contain no Formaldehyde, Gluteraldehyde or Acrylates (all known allergens)
Brisa Gels are Hypoallergenic (less likely to cause sensitivity than gels which contain the known common allergens)
Brisa Gels are the strongest gels because they are more like L&P chemically
Brisa Gels have less heat than most gels
Brisa Gels are very easy to apply and have a very smooth surface

Do a search .. there are more features and benefits to consider on the 2 links provided.

Just ranting lol!

I think prices differ all over the country but I don't think of NSS as "nail techs" I think of them as somewhere people go who don't know any better.
I don't charge different amounts for things anymore, to be honest I have set prices and make sure that my clients look after their nails in between appointments. It makes life a lot easier for me.
If a client told me she loves the look of NSS nails then I would be tempted to ask her why....and why she's asked you to do them then, as I don't do that "look". x

Yes Judy you are right. Most of the time I don't even bother to explain to people, but sometimes it really irks me.

I guess people who go to NSS salons obviously don't know anything about nails and the ones that go there knowing the damage they are doing, I sure don't want as clients anyway.

Horses for courses as they say.

I am just pleased that the clients that I have gained since I moved here appreciate my education and skills and know the difference and are happy.

It just seems to me that in this neck of the woods, there are two NSS salons and everyone seems to go to them, because there is no-one else, or if there is they offer really cheap nails and have done a one day course somewhere and call themselves "nailtechs".

Eventually all this will work in my favour. I will just carry on doing what I am doing and all will be fine eventually. Just sometimes gets tiring.

I couldn't agree with you more. I think all you can do is your best.

......."I have come to the decision that I don't want these clients anyway. Does anyone else feel the same."...........
[/quote]

You know, the thing that bugs me about NSS and the people that go there ....

If clients don't know any better, well, you live and learn.

The thing that totally smacks my gob is the people who REALISE that their nails are being damaged etc. but STILL keep going !!! :eek:

It would be the same as me going for a facial at "We do it Cheap" salon and everytime I walk out it looks like someone took a sander to my face, but hey, it's so much cheaper than the other salon and my skin feels so smooth afterwards even though I don't have any skin left and will probably be scarred for the rest of my life !!!!

What is wrong with these people ?????

Marlise

You know, the thing that bugs me about NSS and the people that go there ....

If clients don't know any better, well, you live and learn.

The thing that totally smacks my gob is the people who REALISE that their nails are being damaged etc. but STILL keep going !!! :eek:

It would be the same as me going for a facial at "We do it Cheap" salon and every time I walk out it looks like someone took a sander to my face, but hey, it's so much cheaper than the other salon and my skin feels so smooth afterwards even though I don't have any skin left and will probably be scarred for the rest of my life !!!!

What is wrong with these people ?????

Marlise

It is a case of "out of site out of mind" they cant see the damage until the nails are off so they forget about it. As long as they cant see it why worry about it?? Silly mentality but a very common one, sadly.

It is a case of "out of site out of mind" they cant see the damage until the nails are off so they forget about it. As long as they cant see it why worry about it?? Silly mentality but a very common one, sadly.

this is the same mentality as smoking - you know smoking kills you but cos you cant see your black lungs, you do it anyway...

this is the same mentality as smoking - you know smoking kills you but cos you cant see your black lungs, you do it anyway...

Suppose that is true .....

Marlise

A hairdresser I met recently actually told me that she loves the look of NSs nails, even though they hurt for days afterwards

Surely this should be a sign something is wrong, I saw a lady come out of an NSS (i was spying as usual) with really red, and some bleeding fingers around the cuticles I couldn't help but stop and comment that her fingers looked sore and why she had let them do that to her and she said - its the price you pay for LONG LASTING nails!!

I can totally see where you are coming from, some people don't seem to care about the damage been done to their nails UNDERNEATH after all - if they are out of sight, they are out of mind.

It is such a shame that people don't realise (or don't care) about the damage that they are doing to their nails. I went into college last night to be a nail art model for a friend and they were just starting a Nail Technology class in the next salon. I overheard the girls talking about their nails (nosey mare that I am!) and one of the girls had just had hers done at an NSS and they were all raving about how good a salon it is! Lets hope they're better educated by the end of the course!

Latest posts

Back