All your PopIts questions answered here!! The OFFICIAL thread for PopIts Q & A's

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gigi,

I have a few questions,
YS Nail listed Sweet Squared as their UK distributor. Correct
Is popits made by YS nail? YES If so why the name change? Because I wanted the product to have an identity in the UK.
personally I like popits better, no pun intended but YS sound like Wide azz nail. lol

I know it's not, but some people think popits is a CND product.
Are you promoting popits with CND L&P? NO. I am promoting PopIts to users of any brand of L&P or Gel.

Lastly, I know you don't aloud bad language on this site, but Inverted Nail sorry..
They say that by leaving the mold (such an artistic word) on it's faster NO its not, you can get a better seal NO you can't , and it's a superior finish No it is not. I think it is a bunch of BS, I don't see how you can get a smooth transition from the cuticle, and you would have to do more filing on the side wall to get a tight fit, as for the finish they would have to do a scratch test with their tip vs gel to shut me up.
I guess my question is what makes popits better than inverted nail molds?

Well I think you have answered the questions yourself.

First of all the name sucks :lol: but that is by the by.

Secondly if you watch the video they leak product all over the place.

Thirdly they are not the same thing nor the same shape as PopIts.

Forthly I did my homework and spoke to several former users of IM's who all agreed after using PopIts that PopIts were superior in every way particularly the 'free margin' which stops leakage of product around the nail folds and the beautiful shape.

Fifthly ... I trialed PopIts extensively myself and got gorgeous results and longevity when using PopIts ... PopIts needed vision and someone with an eye to make them sing (like all nail products).

Thanks Gigi

Hope I've answered your questions.

Would you charge more or less for PopIts? I am really desperate to get some and get practising as nails that take less than an hour and a half would be brill!!

hello! im new here..my first post so be kind...please? :rolleyes:
forgive me if you've heard this question many of times and answered it!

are the poppits made out of the same plastic as normal tips? and could you just use a normal tip as a sort of poppit? with gel? with l+p?

cheers in advance!!

alzy :green:

hello! im new here..my first post so be kind...please? :rolleyes:
forgive me if you've heard this question many of times and answered it!

are the poppits made out of the same plastic as normal tips? and could you just use a normal tip as a sort of poppit? with gel? with l+p?

cheers in advance!!

alzy :green:

Hi alzy and welcome to the site.

PopIts are made of a special type of plastic that repels the product and leaves a glossy super shiney surface. Tips are made of a plastic that attracts the product so it sticks to it.

Would you charge more or less for PopIts? I am really desperate to get some and get practising as nails that take less than an hour and a half would be brill!!

There is a big thread that discusses this very question so I invite you to search and have a good read. I charge the same ... some charge more ... certainly never less.

Hi I need your expertise advice. Been playing with my poppits have tried with both gel and young nails acrylic. Definitely easier with acrylic. But what I find bearing in mind i have not used acrylic for 8 years, when i remove the poppits i have some crystalisation and then when i buff it develops a hole. Do you think it is my mix ratio? I tend too to put too much product and it seeps out the cuticle end could that be it? When I filed down and do another layer of acrylic it is fine, but it is taking too long to do.

Hi I need your expertise advice. Been playing with my poppits have tried with both gel and young nails acrylic. Definitely easier with acrylic. But what I find bearing in mind i have not used acrylic for 8 years, when i remove the poppits i have some crystalisation and then when i buff it develops a hole. Do you think it is my mix ratio? I tend too to put too much product and it seeps out the cuticle end could that be it? When I filed down and do another layer of acrylic it is fine, but it is taking too long to do.

What you are seeing is not crystallisation .. it is lots of air bubbles ... probably because you either do not have enough product in the form in the first place or you are squeezing the product you do have out of the form.

How are you applying the form to the nail? Any product should naturally squeeze forward toward the free edge not back toward the cuticle! If you are applying the form like a tip then this is not correct. You must apply it the opposite way i.e. from the eponychium to the free edge. All the product should squeeze forward to the free edge ... gently so as not to empty the PopIt and squeeze the product from the place you needit to a place where you do not want it. Be more gentle.

Better come and see me in London on the 11th of February at my demo day. x

hi new to nails can someone please tell me what a popits is? :rolleyes:

hi new to nails can someone please tell me what a popits is? :rolleyes:

It doesn't sem possible that you couldn't know!! :eek: After all the threads about them on the site. Go to the Forums ... then articles, then you will see PopIts Q&As and all sorts of info. You could also do a search on the tool bar above for PopIts. Have fun.

ok Gigi, I have a question. ;)

I got my POPITS, and had a play, and WOW. The shine blew my mind, the simplicity of it, holy cow!

And geeks, you NEED TO HAVE YOUR MIX RATIO DOWN! If you are not consistent in your traditional nail application, don't use these until you ARE. I am VERY consistent, and it took some doing to get it just right. But now that I DO, I am SUPER IMPRESSED.

I decided to see what colored powders look like, in particular those with glitter. I used sin city on a couple fingers, and experimented a little with powder art. I have already soaked them off, so no pics guys, sorry ;) I will post some later.

OK so my question: I see that the popit has a slight angle near the cuticle, and when I pull it off the finished nail, the dent is still there, and makes me want to file it away. Is there something I am doing to make that appear? Should it not be there? Am I just being too anal?

Thanks for all your hard work so far Gigi- it's much appreciated. I can't wait to see a video!!

OK so my question: I see that the popit has a slight angle near the cuticle, and when I pull it off the finished nail, the dent is still there, and makes me want to file it away. Is there something I am doing to make that appear? Should it not be there? Am I just being too anal?

This is one of my problems too.... For me, it seams like you can't get rid of it, it's in the form/popit. Maybe I am too anal too....:)

C.

Well to both Cec and heather ... you are not being anal, just perfectionists which most of we good techs are and we have worked to get that perfection for a long time.

PopIts are NOT hand made nails. They are never going to be as perfect as the perfect hand made nails .. and I have always said so. BUT they are allot more perfect than most of the hand made nails I see coming out of salons and for that alone they will be a big boon to many many hundreds of nail technicians. There are not many that do perfect hand made nails either. Even If they lie perfectly smooth at the eponychium, then the rest isn't perfect by any means.

HOWEVER -- I have found that if I trim off the back 'skirt', 'flange', 'free margin' ... call it what you will, off the PopIt, it lays flatter in that area. Give it a try. But be careful to apply softly and not to squeeze any product out onto the eponychium area. As for myself, I just do a wee buff and tidy after about 10 days ... I really don't notice it until then, and even then I do not notice it very much ..
For that perfect shine and that perfect shape and NO buffing, it's not something I am going to worry about unduly.

I wonder if they will be allowed for use in nail competitions?
Or not, like the french smile line cutters, not allowed.
Just curious.
Im trying to get some to work with, hopefully after the first of the year.
Thank you geeg for a one stop q&a thread.
And thanks to everyone else sharing this valuable information about Poppits.

I wonder if they will be allowed for use in nail competitions?
Or not, like the french smile line cutters, not allowed.
Just curious.
Im trying to get some to work with, hopefully after the first of the year.
Thank you geeg for a one stop q&a thread.
And thanks to everyone else sharing this valuable information about PopIts.

I very much doubt it. Competitions are all about what you can do by hand and PopIts do most all of the work for you. So I don't think we will see them in competitions and quite rightly too.

Where can popits be purchased in the USA? Is there training available here?

Miami ... I have sent you the information. x

I've done my own nails with popits and I'm very happy with them. The only problem I have (like someone else has mentioned) is that I get lots of air bubbles. I wear dark enamel on my enhancements so it doesnt bother me on my own nails, but for one particular client, she wears topcoat only on hers and I had to not charge for the last set I did as they were full of air bubbles (she is a friend of a friend, and completely understood that its a new product etc, but still not good on what should have been a paying client).
Anyway, I've altered my mix ratio following some advice I got on a skill building day, I dont "play" too much with the product in the popit, and I think I'm applying just the right amount of pressure, but still I'm getting air bubbles.
My question is this (eventually!) - Do you place the product at the free edge end of the popit and work it down by pulling with your brush, or do you place it at the eponychium end and press it towards the free edge?? I'm certain we were told at the demo day at Leeds but I cant remember and I think this may be a part of where I'm going wrong.

got my popits yesterday and had a go with pink and white. Added my white first and did smile, then put pink in but when I placed it onto the nail the pink smudged onto the white, should I leave the white to set a quite bit first before doing the pink?? sorry if sounds a bit obvious but just wanted a bit of guidance thanks :o

ps do you know when you might be doing the demos in birmingham/manchester yet geeg???

Popits ?
I love 'em.:biggrin:
4 weeks after I got mine, I still get a kick everytime I pop one off and see the beautiful shiney enhancement.
My sister was my guinea-pig and she's a hairdresser who's just come through her busiest Christmas ever. She's still got 10 on after 3 weeks of hard graft.
She's my best advert.

I am just finished doing the first set of nails using popits, they turned out alright if you didn't look under them.

I put the white acrillyc in the tip first and then put the pink and stuck them on, the mistake I made on the first hand was that I put the whites in to the 5 popits before I made a start on the pinks, so when I put the popit on the nail the white tip was already set and popped away from the popit, wich resulted in pink acryllic seeping over the white tip, it came of easy enough with a file though.
On the 2nd hand I painted in 2 whites and the immideatly did the pink and stuck them on (so i didn't have the problem with the pink seeping over as prevously described)

There was quite a bit of pink underneat at the free edge so I clearly used too much pink.

I uploaded some foto's on my space if anyone is interested in taking a look
the album is called popits the first trial.

Windows Live space

It took me about an hour and 10 mins from start to finish wich is about the same time it would take me to do a 'normal' set.

Hope some of you can learn from my guinea piggin :lol:

Grtz

Latest posts

Back