All your PopIts questions answered here!! The OFFICIAL thread for PopIts Q & A's

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinkleTips69

Reaction score
Okay here goes.......

I'm a bit miffed really - I am currently wearing a set of popit nails..... and I hate them!!!! Oh dear :eek:.

I want to upload a pic...... but camera is having none of it. Bit concerned that clients like them, coz they look just like them ones you get from boots. Really, really fake. I will be so gutted if my clients would rather these than my usual sets.

My friend did them for me to practice before clients - resulted in bubbles, inconsistent smiles, cracks, lifting already!! been about 24hrs!! Missing half of one and theyre about 5times thicker than nails I would sculpt/tip overlay. also took just as long. Whats going wrong?

And whats with the burning when theyre being put on?? OWWWWW!!!

I had a play around, and I couldnt get the smile line crisp, and there were bubbles. I NEVER have this problem??? Although did have fun making nail art designs in them.

I love custom blends, sculpting, tipping - I guess the creative/artistic side of nails, and I dont know what to do!!! I feel like they are the enemy!!! I want to be able to offer them just like my friend will be doing - but, but, but.....I still want to do it the old way!!!! *stamps feet like small child mid tantrum*

Aaggghhhhh!!! Sorry peeps!! I'm just a grumpy bum, who cant move on in the nail world!!! Please dont go mad!!!

Your friend who applied them just needs more practise that is all.

Bubbles occur from patting you need to press the product into the form.

Inconsistent smiles is down to more practise, although you can apply the white to the free edge of the nail thinly first before using the PopIt.

As for them being 5 times the thickness, again this is down to practise, they do not need to be thick, they can look really thin and beautiful.

The heat sensation is down to a too wet ratio or too much product.

All of these teething problems can be ironed out with practice.

i was at creative today and i have done myself a full set of nails t&o with tiger stripes on the free edge but one of the nails i did was a pop it so i and others could compare it,
i showed it around to a few people and asked them to guess which one was the pop it, not one nail tech could tell the difference

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay here goes.......

I'm a bit miffed really - I am currently wearing a set of popit nails..... and I hate them!!!! Oh dear :eek:.Oh dear

I want to upload a pic...... but camera is having none of it. Bit concerned that clients like them, coz they look just like them ones you get from boots. Really, really fake. I will be so gutted if my clients would rather these than my usual sets.They absolutely should not look like plastic stick-on nails:lol:

My friend did them for me to practice before clients - resulted in bubbles, inconsistent smiles, cracks, lifting already!! been about 24hrs!! Missing half of one and theyre about 5times thicker than nails I would sculpt/tip overlay. also took just as long. Whats going wrong? See below

And whats with the burning when theyre being put on?? OWWWWW!!Too much product being put in popit and also poss too wet!

I had a play around, and I couldnt get the smile line crisp, and there were bubbles. I NEVER have this problem??? Although did have fun making nail art designs in them. Remember first time you ever tried tips?sculpts? gel? whatever? How was your product placement? thickness? Time? smilelines? I'm pretty sure you weren't perfect????:)

I love custom blends, sculpting, tipping - I guess the creative/artistic side of nails, and I dont know what to do!!! I feel like they are the enemy!!! I want to be able to offer them just like my friend will be doing - but, but, but.....I still want to do it the old way!!!! *stamps feet like small child mid tantrum*
Look at this as another SKILL, you can't be skillful after looking at a demo/picture/video, you need your practice....what you've always done to be PERFECT is practice....yes?
As an artist you should have yet another string to your bow, if you choose not to use this skill, then so be it, however I am sure you will at least need to know that you CAN perform this service if needed:)

The EASIEST new technique I have ever picked up, a little practice and VOILA!!!!!!!!!

Aaggghhhhh!!! Sorry peeps!! I'm just a grumpy bum, who cant move on in the nail world!!! Please dont go mad!!!
Not mad, just sorry you don't see the benefits, if not for you, then at least for SOME of your clients:confused:

ive posted a pic on main gallery of a "natural" popit that i did on myself last night - (my own custom blend for the tip) i have a few tiny bubbles too, tho it hasnt budged yet. i still have to get used to the application, as i too forgot some "things" - ie - brushing out underneath, so now i have a nice thick free edge, hahhah but this is purely down to my technique not being right -

i would certainly give them a chance flower

and as geeg says - this is "another" way, NOT "the" way - not everyone will be suited to them, but they sure as hell suit ME :lol:

I am proudly sporting a 'PopIt nail' on my pinkie which Geeg did and I can tell you it has a beautiful apex both from the side and looking at the nail barrel on. I'm looking forward to a good play tomorrow, far too tired today once I got back, but whilst hoping they will turn out well I'm not going to be feeling like its a huge dissapointment if they aren't spot on right away.

No one will be mad. Some people like to sculpt, some people prefer tipping, some people like gel, some dont. Also, there will be clients who simply aren't able to have nails using these forms, if the forms dont fit the nail you cant do it so anyone who cant sculpt or tip will have some pretty unhappy clients. I cant see how this can be the only service anyone could offer so all the skills anyone has are essential.:hug::hug:

I have been using these new forms for nearly 1 week(ha ha )and the first few were absolutley purr-fect. The next few I started to get a bit technical and placed a smaller bead in the form, then realised it wasnt enough, and had to place 2 more beads on top and as it was starting to set up smoothed and patted like mad-result -bubbles.

The next set, I used 1 large bead on the wet side- result-heat.

The next nail , 1 medium sized bead correct mix ratio-result-1 massive air bubble in the centre of the nail, thankfully I saw it in time and wiped the product off. The reason-not enough product.

The next few , 1 huge bead-result no airbubbles but a mountain of a nail !!!

I think we are so used to 2 zones with 2 different sized beads,that it is hard to put a new hat on with these forms ... 1 medium large bead, correct mix, dont pat.
It is a new technique to master.

However I have stopped analysing it and thinking so much about the correct way and have reverted to the way I first did it, the way Geeg explained it very simply and what do you know--------? purrfect nails again.!!!

I'm wondering how many Geeks having more problems on their clients but not on themselves went to the demo and Geeg did one on them? I only ask because we remember the feel of the light pressure Geeg used so emulating that on say myself would be easier than gauging the same on a client?

I just wondered if any of you that have tried them have tried to do the free edge with white or other colour in the form using l&p, if so does it take significantly longer and what if any problems did you find occured? I am just curious because I was hoping to get a lovely finish on my right hand.

Hiya

After you have applied your normal tip and blended add your white the normal way, then apply your zone 2 & 3 in one application to your popit.

It will save time on file and buff if nothing else.

Jenx

Good Luck
Advanced Beauty Clinic - Warwickshire

Hiya

After you have applied your normal tip and blended add your white the normal way, then apply your zone 2 & 3 in one application to your popit.

It will save time on file and buff if nothing else.

Jenx

Good Luck
Advanced Beauty Clinic - Warwickshire

Thanks for the reply but I should have explained better, I mean for an nno, no tip application or sculpt but the free edge applied directly to the poppit pink or clear added and then on to the natural nail bed. I just wondered about the actual application, does it take a lot longer and what other problems have been experienced using this method.

don't be too hasting in saying you don't like to new method, some may find it easier than others.

I am a firm believer in practise makes perfect and i know it is hard but if it were me i would practise on my friends and family until i had got it until i used it on paying clients imho.

don't give up we are not quitters its always hard trying something new when we have all done it for so long a different way, and we panic when we are out of our comfort zone.

why not wait until the course is available that way you can really get into it?

HTH :hug:

Ok I have one.... my first question on the subject.

When you come to place the Popit on a nail, I note from your tutorials that it's best if you can get them as close to the eponychium as possible / under it.

I'm doing this bit no probs. But when they come to grow out after a few days, I'm noticing very slight lifting around the sides.

I have only so far practiced on myself and I am in love with Cuticle Remover and the effects of it so am pretty sure it's not a problem with cuticle (I take extra care at the sides too so as to not miss any). I've scrubfreshed and removed shine too.

Could it be that I'm not pressing the Popit down firm enough?

Thanks
xx

When you come to place the Popit on a nail, I note from your tutorials that it's best if you can get them as close to the eponychium as possible / under it.

I'm doing this bit no probs. But when they come to grow out after a few days, I'm noticing very slight lifting around the sides.

Could it be that I'm not pressing the Popit down firm enough?

Funnily enough I've just answered this question in another thread!! Hence the need for an official Q&A thread!!

Here are a couple of things that may help you.

1. Keep your thumb over the nail bed area and 'roll' it gently around this area (paying attention to the sides and the eponychium area) for 15 -20 seconds while the product sets. NOT huge presure but just make sure the product beneath the PopIt gets fully contacted to the nail plate.

2. Work quickly so that the product is not setting at the eponychium end of the PopIt before you apply it.

thanks for making this thread Gigi,I know that alot of peeps will have questions for you.
I am loving my popits the only thing I'm not sure about is how long should I put pressure
on the top of the popit when I am applying my popit using L&P?
At the moment I am counting in my head to 15 seconds then I am letting go,then I wait
about 3 mins before I pop it off.
Just wondering if this is correct?
also I seem to be undersizing some of the popits,because the popit fits really well on the
natural plate but when i pop them off a few look like they are to small from the
free edge out.Is this from undersizing or am I just not going right to the edge? Although
I think I am going right to the edge??? I am not using tips I am just sculpting the entire
popit with L&P.

1. I am loving my PopIts the only thing I'm not sure about is how long should I put pressure on the when I am applying my PopIt using L&P?

2. Also I seem to be undersizing some of the PopIts,because they fit really well on the natural plate but when i pop them off a few look like they are to small from the free edge out. Is this from undersizing or am I just not going right to the edge? .

1. This depends entirely on the temperature of the product and your surroundings. If the client's hands are nice and warm, then 15 seconds is usually ample time before you release the pressure and go onto the the next PopIt.

As for SETTING .. the colder it is, the longer the set time ... just as usual. 3 minutes is usually ample for set time.

2. You will have to experiment with this. I have found that if the PopIt fits from side wall to side wall, this is sufficient for the product to cover the entire nail. If you are finding it is not, with the pressure you use, then try a larger size but personally I have no trouble with the side wall to side wall rule.

Would it be possible to sculpt a stilletto with a poppit? How would you do it with a glitter?

Would it be possible to sculpt a stiletto with a PopIt? How would you do it with a glitter?

Never tried it !!

I guess you'll just have to experiment and see. You could certainly sculpt MY type of stiletto nails, but the sort of thing peeps have been calling stilettos on the site (which to me are completely unwearable) you would have to experiment and let us all know.

If I were sculpting with glitter, I would simply do it the same as for any sculpt but using my l&p Glitter mix.
1. Place the PopIt over the nail and mark where you want the smile line to fall.
2. Sculpt the tip to the smile line and allow time for semi-set
3. Place the next bead in the z2 and z3 area and apply.
4. Check beneath and smooth out any excess product.
5. When fully set, remove the PopIt.

Hiya

I haven't been doing nails for quite some time and have only just managed to order a new brochure rfom Sweet Squared...

.. there are just too many threads around aswell which all seemed to go off on different tangents..

How do you stop the nails from looking flat?

Hiya

I haven't been doing nails for quite some time and have only just managed to order a new brochure from Sweet Squared...

.. there are just too many threads around as well which all seemed to go off on different tangents..

How do you stop the nails from looking flat?

Ah ... I've never seen a nail done with a PopIt that looks flat!! In fact one of the most beautiful things about them is the beautiful C curve they have. So ............... if your PopIts are looking flat there can only be one reason (or maybe 2) WAY too much pressure and WAY too little product.

I can't emphasise enough how light the pressure is that you need to use when applying PopIts. It is all very gentle. If it's not gentle then it can only mean you are applying more pressure to spread the product more thinly which means you do not have enough product in the PopIt in the first place.

I will be demoing in London and Glasgow in February and hopefully Manchester and Birmingham as well so ring Sweet Squared 08452106060 to keep posted of when and where. Demos always help. AND THEY ARE FREE

LONDON - FEBRUARY 11TH 2008
GLASGOW - FEBRUARY 14TH 2008

Hi Gigi,

I have a few questions,
YS Nail listed Sweet Square a their UK distributor.
Is popits made by YS nail? If so why the name change?
personally I like popits better, no punt intended but YS sound like Wide azz nail. lol

I know it's not, but some people think popits is a CND product.
Are you promoting popits with CND L&P?

Lastly, I know you don't aloud bad language on this site, but Inverted Nail sorry..
They say that by leaving the mold (such an artistic word) on it's faster, you can get a better seal, and it's a superior finish. I think is a bunch of BS, I don't see how you can get a smooth transition from the cuticle, and you would have to do more filing on the side wall to get a tight fit, as for the finish they would have to do a scratch test with their tip vs gel to shut me up.
I guess my question is what makes popits better than inverted nail?

Thanks Gigi

Latest posts

Back