Allergic to Solar Oil? It can happen.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clairet

Reaction score
I know there have been various threads about nut allergies and how this could possibly affect us as nail techs using cuticle oil.

Well, I had a client today who informed me that she was allergic to solar oil.

Apparently, she had her nails done in a salon a few months ago, and after having the solar oil applied, she started developing severe itchiness of her skin and tightening of her throat. She ended up in A & E with an anti histamine shot! :eek:

Luckily I do carry a cuticle oil without almond in it, which, of course, I used today.

The reason I'm highlighting it is, that it can happen and it just stresses how important client consultation is!

she must be a high risk then as most people with a slight nut allergy are fine unless they drink it of course...:lol:.....was she aware that she had this nut allergy...?

Apparently not! She puts it down to the fact that she had just had a baby and her body was very hormonal. She hasn't touched any nuts since!

Like you say, very unusual, and I've never come across it before, but obviously it can happen.

Nut allergies run in the family!!!

When i was a fitness instructor i made a pregnancy booklet full of nutional info and workouts.

I found out that they only say don't eat nuts during pregnancy if the allergy runs in the family, as it is already in your system, it can be passed on to the baby in the womb, if the allergy doesn't run in the family your not likely to just develope it!!

It would be intersting to know if it runs in her family??
i would imagine that her homone increase has brought the allergy out i guess now it will either go awat with time or it will be there for life??

hope this is useful..

this is the reason i stress tomy students in hair,nails and esthetics the importance of client concultation i spelt that wrong

Hi All,

The old allergy issue regularly raises it's head here so I thought I'd try to make some points clear.

Allergies (particularly to nuts and shellfish) are on the increase especially in children. No one really seems to have established a definite cause as yet.

You are less likely to have a reaction to a processed nut product that has had the protein element removed (i.e. Solar Oil). You are also far less likely to have a serious reaction to a product that has not been ingested (e.g eaten). However, you could still be allergic to it.

A person may not be aware that they have a serious allergy to nuts as their previous reactions may have been mild. Unfortunately, it is quite possible to develop a potentially life threatening reaction without warning, and in those who develop this type of reaction it can take only a fraction of a molecule of the allergen in the atmosphere to set them off! Hense some airlines ask you not to open or consume nut based products during a flight where a person with a nut allergy is present.

There are 2 main types of extreme allergic reaction

i) Laryngospasm - Which happens following ingestion. As the food is swallowed, it produces immediate swelling that spreads to the vocal cords. If the vocal cords swell shut, the person is unable to breathe.

ii) Anaphylactic shock - The whole body is affected, often within minutes of exposure to the allergen but sometimes after hours. Symptoms can include a generalised rash, swelling of throat and mouth, difficulty in swallowing or speaking, alterations in heart rate, severe asthma, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, sudden feeling of weakness (drop in blood pressure) and collapse and unconsciousness. Causes of anaphylaxis can be not just nuts but other foods, insect stings, latex and drugs, but on rare occasions there may be no obvious trigger.

Fortunately these really extreme reactions are not common and so generally Solar Oil is a perfectly safe product.

I would suggest that if you know you're treating someone with a nut allergy (or nut allergy in their direct family) just take sensible precautions. Remember that it is possible for items in your kit to have become cross contaminated, so make sure you keep everything clean, complete a thorough client consultation, use new files (if you don't normally use one file per client), make sure your cuticle tools have been sterilized (not just sanitized) and use a non almond based cuticle oil for that client.

I'm an epi-pen carrying anaphylactic myself (fortunately not allergic to nuts so I can use Solar Oil which is a great product!) so I'm well aware of how quickly allergies can take hold, and they're really frightening if you've never witnessed one before.

Above all else please don't get too worried about this. I know the above information sounds terrifying but these type of reactions really are at the extreme end of the allergy spectrum.

Hope this helps

Sian
X

:hug:Sian, Thats brilliant, you have explained it far better than I could! I am a epipen carrying allergy sufferer - one of my allergies is nuts (of any desription!) Fortunately though I do not have an allergic reaction to solar oil, so I am thankful for that! However, somebody could have a reaction to solar oil - it may not necasserily be the almond oil that is causing a reaction, and the only way to be sure is to under go testing.
:hug:

Hi All,

The old allergy issue regularly raises it's head here so I thought I'd try to make some points clear.

Allergies (particularly to nuts and shellfish) are on the increase especially in children. No one really seems to have established a definite cause as yet.

You are less likely to have a reaction to a processed nut product that has had the protein element removed (i.e. Solar Oil). You are also far less likely to have a serious reaction to a product that has not been ingested (e.g eaten). However, you could still be allergic to it.

A person may not be aware that they have a serious allergy to nuts as their previous reactions may have been mild. Unfortunately, it is quite possible to develop a potentially life threatening reaction without warning, and in those who develop this type of reaction it can take only a fraction of a molecule of the allergen in the atmosphere to set them off! Hense some airlines ask you not to open or consume nut based products during a flight where a person with a nut allergy is present.

There are 2 main types of extreme allergic reaction

i) Laryngospasm - Which happens following ingestion. As the food is swallowed, it produces immediate swelling that spreads to the vocal cords. If the vocal cords swell shut, the person is unable to breathe.

ii) Anaphylactic shock - The whole body is affected, often within minutes of exposure to the allergen but sometimes after hours. Symptoms can include a generalised rash, swelling of throat and mouth, difficulty in swallowing or speaking, alterations in heart rate, severe asthma, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, sudden feeling of weakness (drop in blood pressure) and collapse and unconsciousness. Causes of anaphylaxis can be not just nuts but other foods, insect stings, latex and drugs, but on rare occasions there may be no obvious trigger.

Fortunately these really extreme reactions are not common and so generally Solar Oil is a perfectly safe product.

I would suggest that if you know you're treating someone with a nut allergy (or nut allergy in their direct family) just take sensible precautions. Remember that it is possible for items in your kit to have become cross contaminated, so make sure you keep everything clean, complete a thorough client consultation, use new files (if you don't normally use one file per client), make sure your cuticle tools have been sterilized (not just sanitized) and use a non almond based cuticle oil for that client.

I'm an epi-pen carrying anaphylactic myself (fortunately not allergic to nuts so I can use Solar Oil which is a great product!) so I'm well aware of how quickly allergies can take hold, and they're really frightening if you've never witnessed one before.

Above all else please don't get too worried about this. I know the above information sounds terrifying but these type of reactions really are at the extreme end of the allergy spectrum.

Hope this helps

Sian
X
Wow, this is pretty interesting stuff!
Glad you posted this, as I myself have witnessed my hubby reacting to, what we think, was salmon (ok slightly off the Solar Oil question).

The symptoms were pretty scary, where his hands suddenly went very red and swollen, the redness moved up his neck and was then complaining that his heart was racing, following dizziness.

With in a couple of hours it wore off, but the strange thing is that we don't actually know what caused it, as he has eaten salmon since with no problems what so ever! (?)

Strange!

Thanks for that bit of info Sian.:)

Hi Sharron,

Yes, I think testing is probably the only reliable way of finding out, and as you say it may not be the almond element that someone's allergic to.

It's a bit of a can of worms these days especially as we've become a nation keen on claiming compensation!

Very interesting information from sian and many thanks for it.

It is important to remember, that anything can be an alergen to someone!! Client consultation is very important in this respect. I always ask every client if they have ever suffered from an alergy to anything.

Well said Sian. What you have said is very relevant to the industry we work in. I don't think anybody could have explained it better than you have in your post.
Heather
xxxxx

Latest posts

Back