Another Blow to the tanning industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siteforsoreeyes

Reaction score
Oh dear, poor girl, but I agree that un-manned sunbed shops shouldn't be allowed!

I hope it encourages more people to take the safe option of spray tanning :green:

Perhaps people should get used to being Caucasian and frankly tanning beds should be gone!

I know I saw this on the news last night. How on earth can these 'unmanned' salons can get insurance. No one is monitored on how many sessions they have, they could go on everyday, twice a day!!!!!
I know they put up posters, but how many clients bother to read the posters?
They are giving a bad name to tanning. With regular monitoring of the client and used under correct circumstances they can be safe.
I also think that the young girl should have known better than to go on for 19 mins. I thought these tan cabs were only for 12mins tops? She must have bought 2 tokens. So much of the blame should be down to her?? It is common sense?????
Well lessons learnt.

I agree un - manned tanning stations should be banned.
Where I go they write down yor name and how many minutes you are having and keep records.
But young girls and even older ladies won't learn from this.
I only use them rarely - couple of goes before my hols, and have spray tans rest of the time.
x :hug: x

If and that is a very very big if, they are going to let people open unmanned salons they should make the technology in these places paramount ie smart card systems to all customers with computer systems blocking the said card from over exposure and using the beds excessively, what's crazy is that even Dot Cotton spends more time in the laundrette than the owners of these so called Salons.
It is not fair on the salon owners who put in a lot of hours, monitor and give good advice to customers.We all know that controlled exposure has more plus points than first thought, its stepping over that line to Over Exposure that causes mass problems.
I did also notice in the news it didn't mention to much about the salon being unmanned just usual "tar everyone with the same brush"

I saw this on the news last night:eek:

I agree these salons should have staff present, however, the notice on the bottom half of the door was clear enough ' no under 16's'. Is this girl claiming she now can't read:rolleyes:

sorry guys absolutely no such thing as a safe tan! (except fake tan) X

sorry guys absolutely no such thing as a safe tan! (except fake tan) X

Without sounding to harsh you need to carry out more research in making statements you have no proof of.

Going back to what I said in an earlier post there is a MASSIVE MASSIVE difference between over exposure and controlled exposure.

By the looks of things you have not read this report

The Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, the principal teaching affiliate of the Harvard Medical School, recently reported ground breaking research which indicates that tanning may indeed protect against melanoma skin cancer.

Lead researchers have been studying a gene called p53, also known as the “master watchman of the genome”. This gene has long been known to act as a tumor suppressor that protects DNA from cancer-causing damage. Specifically, p53 regulates cell lifespan and growth, which ensures that cells do not mutate or multiply uncontrollably as occurs in cancerous cells.

Researchers have found that p53 also plays a significant role in the tanning process by initiating a chain of events that culminates in the production of melanin, or dark pigmentation.

This tan then in turn protects skin from sun damage and, according to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, “can reduce one’s risk of melanoma. ”In fact, the “number one risk factor for melanoma is an inability to tan,” notes David E. Fisher MD, PhD, director of the Melanoma Program at Dana-Farber and senior author of this study.

Those who tan easily or have dark skin pigmentation have the lowest incidence of melanoma. Overwhelming evidence suggests that genetics plays the biggest role in determining an individual’s risk for melanoma. This new research shows that the natural biological process of tanning can further protect our skin from overexposure and therefore reduce our chances of developing this deadly disease.

Sorry siteforsoreeyes

Please do not think me rude or arrogant - However, I have been involved in and read plenty of research concerning skin cancers. I am medically qualified and have extensive experience in the medical aesthetic arena and dermatology, (20 years). I can assure you - there is no such thing as a safe tan! Period. There is extensive research and evidence to back up (as you say) my statement. Far too many to quote. I do not have to justify my statement. The evidence is overwhelming. I can pick holes in the evidence you quote, but frankly I have better things to do. You need to take a step back and not dismiss the MEDICAL EVIDENCE (there is a difference).

Goodbye

Well I wouldnt say the evidence is overwhelming, it all goes on the concerns of, I will say it again as OVER EXPOSURE, and please for all our benefits I would love to see these overwhelming reports so any links would be greatly appreciated to back up your claims. And if you would like to pick a few holes in a report then you need to speak to Dana Farber Cancer institute (the principal to harvard no less) I am just going off what I have read. And without sounding rude I would bet my bottom dollar on there being a little bit more than 20years experience in this field.
And as for the medical evidence please please please do post a link to someone who has died of sunbed use when it was controlled, I admit I can show you a list a mile long of Doris who used the sunbeds for 12mins a day from the age of 18 and died at 46, and if you can also prove that she would not of got skin cancer if she didnt use the sunbeds at all that would be nice too.

If the sun is really that bad Id also like you to explain with your knowledge of skin cancer why has Libya (summer average of 130 degrees) only have 20,000 reports or warnings of skin cancer and the UK has 200,000 a year

Oh thats right because of OVER EXPOSURE to skin types that are not use to that type of sun exposure. Normally people going on holiday once in 52 weeks and basically stepping into an oven for the whole of that week with no protection is what causes problems.

Can I also ask from your experience in dermatology Have you ever come across sunlamps to help prevent certain skin conditions.

I believe with 20years experience you would have seen people being told to use sunbeds in a CONTROLLED WAY. to help their with their skin.

The first time I used a un-manned tanning salon, I was shocked that there was such a place, and thought they must be only allowed over here (Germany), this is the first time I have even heard of them in England!
They are all over the place here, I have been here 2 yrs now and never heard of any one missuseing them, thats not to say that people don`t.
I think its down to the person who put the money in the slot and then gets on the bed, there are lots of signs letting you know the facts and safe use of the beds, if you choose to ignore them then some thing bad will happen.
If you don`t know how to tan safely then you should always choose to go to a salon where you can ask advice.
Also in the interview when she said "we" dose that mean she was with her mum at the time?

I think sunbeds are safe providing the client does not abuse them. I did see the article in the paper the other week and they even agreed sunbeds help.

I have a lot of clients that have skin disorders and use the sunbeds to control there condition. You will always get someone that says sunbeds are bad for you. I do feel sorry for the young girl but to go on a bed that long is silly, and I am sure she knew that she was under age. People will always abuse the beds if they can

Oh dear siteforsoreeyes

This is not a personal issue. However, from your reply I can only conclude that your knowledge of skin typing, and fitzpatrick scale (and its interpretation) is somewhat limited. Otherwise you would not make reference to people living in libya. A suntan is the skins response to damage from uv radiation - suntans fade - skin damage from tannin does not.

Bataille et al Dec 08 - Increased risk of developing skin cancer from use of sunbeds.

Gallagher et al - Significantly increased risk of cutaneous melanoma (A Assoc of Cancer Research) - directly referring to sunbed use.

International journal of cancer, March 07 - Use of sunbeds substantially increases the risk of developing skin cancer etc etc etc etc

Why do you choose to ignore the research and cherry pick the ones which suit your cause - at a guess you are in he tanning industry right? Nothing wrong with that - just do not make statements that a fundamentally flawed. The research you posted does not substantiate that sunbed use is safe. UV light thereapy - in a medical environment is a different issue totally. I would not go to a tanning salon for that type of tx.

I could go on and on.....

Very interesting reading, but firstly before I comment I will answer a couple of your concerns, firstly I am not in the tanning industry I design websites for the beauty industry so the amount of research I have carried over the years, I must say I am sick of reading, I have not cherry picked any that suit, I have picked FACTS from bonified corporations, to me and most laymen of the land Dana Farber who work with over 1000 cancer EXPERTS is quite well situated to comment on the STUDIES they have carried out.

Now onto you thoughts of me cherry picking the articles that suit can I could say the same after reading your articles, I will go to what the whole point of this conversation relates to OVER EXPOSURE AND CONTROLLED EXPOSURE, and if you read the reports and not as you put it cherry pick they all say OVER EXPOSURE, PROLONGED EXPOSURE. So as you see I go off the facts and I understand the MASSIVE difference between CONTROLLED AND OVER EXPOSURE.

Oh just another cherry picked fact
A recent study of European melanoma rates found that in Sweden - where sunbed use is strictly regulated and tanning salons are supervised, preventing children from using them and protecting adults from over-exposure - there was less melanoma in sunbed users than in non-users.

Your statements go down the same lines as every doctor in the UK, smoke, it will kill you, drink, it will kill you, eat fat, it will kill you, execise, it will kill you. Its going to happen to us all an there is no saying these people who have been unlucky with skin cancer from OVER EXPOSURE would not of died of another type of cancer as I believe cancer to be a genetic defect.

One more final point, you say you have 20 years experience in dermatology, surely you are aware of DHA reactions so Fake Tans are not safe either, (no where near the dangers of OVER EXPOSURE on sunbeds)but NO reports have been made on the internal effects of DHA when inhaled etc, but you would surely know this and as a dermatologist surely you wouldnt tell people to spray chemicals onto their skin.

it is a fact that as a species we do need exposure to UV in order to survive...without it we will simply be plagued with many many ailments.

This can be highlighted in the Victorian era when coal was used to heat houses and to power industry resulting in smog blocking out the sun.....rickets and many other ailements was rife particularly with children.

Exposure from UV is used in many treatments by the medical fraternity..particularly with treatments on skin complaints.

There is also clinical evidence that MILD exposure to UV is beneficial not only to the skin but to the feeling of well being.

The problem is that it is trough the ever increasing demands of the public wanting faster and faster means to obtain a tan...further fueled by irresponsible manufacturers making ever more powerful sunbeds together with a historical complete lack of legislation and guidance as to safe dosages etc that has led to many injuries and subsequential bad press resulting in the decline of this industry.

Through the introduction of safer control as well as legislative controls this sector has definitely cleaned up its act and the commercial use of sunbeds is on the increase once again.

Unfortunately it is the unmanned salons that will continue to do further damage to the already weak position of this sector and will undoubtedly fuel the fire for demands to ban the use of sunbeds altogether.

This would be a shame as it is a whole industry in itself and if used correctly can and is of benefit to those that chose to use them.

The sunbed industry as well as the government do need to start getting their act together if this sector is going to have any chance of long term survival :hug:

There is also clinical evidence that MILD exposure to UV is beneficial not only to the skin but to the feeling of well being.

My sentiments exactly

What gets me about this UV debate is that Africans/Asians who according to FITZPATRICK SCALE or in laymans terms "Skin Type Guides" are less likely to get Skin Cancer, well love these questions answering

How come that the total amount of people with skin cancer 20% come from africa and asia?
Why has there been no research or why do they not know the cause in this race of people?

Love to see the doctors tell Africa and Asia they cant go out in the sun.

I am guessing its like telling eskimos they cant go out in the snow.

We all know increased UV exposure can cause skin cancer so why increase the risk. It's a question of protecting your skin as much as you can. Many Asians and Africans avoid the sun in the heat of the day and wear hats for protection where possible! But surely the sunbed issue is about Caucasians with no natural immunity using sunbeds!

... and why do you think every doctor in the UK says this .. or are we all stupid! (Not just the UK - worldwide).

I am not here to convince you othewise. It is your choice to believe what you wish. But your statements are all based on your BELIEF. We put chemicals on our skin everyday - it is unavoidable - you would be surprised. Deodorants, washing powders, environmental. By the way 80% of skin ageing is due to environmental factors - fact. Not belief - fact. Mainly UV radiation. Yes, genetics does play a part.

It is about risk management, which you fail to acknowledge. Your point about all cancers being genetics is inaccurate. There are numerous factors. It is about managing those factors - some we have no control over. It is very dangerous and unethical to advise that tanning is safe. I reiterate my original point - there is no such thing as a safe tan. Yes UV exposure is a therapy in itself in the medical arena in certain circumstances, but do not get carried away with this and use this an an excuse to justify tanning as being safe. Different skin types tolerate UV differently - there are a number of reasons for this, you have to look into the science. Yes I have 20 years experience in dermatology - I dont say that meaning I know everything - none of us do - that is the nature of research. So, please do not keep referring to that statement as a means of belittling my knowledge. You have your opinions, I disagree.

Do not pretend that tanning is safe - whatever the exposure! You are incorrect. I do not wish to carry this on and on until eternity. My profession is to serve the public and to do no harm. However, I will challenge your opinion in the interests of public advise. You are in the minority.

I don't think you can protect people from themselves. All we can do is provide the relevant information and the rest is up to their own judgement and common sense! Even if every salon is manned it won't stop some idiots popping down the road to the next 'manned' salon or smearing themselves in oil and sunbathing the afternoon away (my aunt does this all the time!!!!:irked:). People need to take responsibility for their choices.

Latest posts

Back