Anyone got any tips on doing your own nails?!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink_Princess

Reaction score
Hi
Anyone got any good tips for doing their own nails?

Im fine doing my left hand but then it takes me forever to do my right hand and im never happy with it!

i do my own with extention tips and L&P overlay in P&W

Tips please???!!!!!

x:)

I blend all my tips then on my right hand, I put the acrylic on before I stick tips on, then add pink when tips are on, it works for me.

Jue xx

Mrs Gadget said:
I blend all my tips then on my right hand, I put the White acrylic on before I stick tips on, then add pink when tips are on, it works for me.

Jue xx

I had to think about this for a minute to see what you meant!!! But I see what you are saying. I've added the word white to your post to make it more clear to everyone ... hope you do not mind.

Ha :) ... no reason not to do this I suppose .... quite clever really ...never thought of it myself but fortunate for me I can work with my left hand as comfortably as my right. It used to floor my fellow students in lectures when I changed my pen from my right to my left hand when I got tired of taking notes with my right hand!! My dad could do it too. :eek:

i'm the same way when i'm doing my own fill.i have no problems doing my left hand but then i get to my right and it takes me forever.i end up doing my left hand one day then the right hand the next.
call me crazy:eek:but it leaves me a little less frustrated.
good luck!!

can never get pink and white right so just put clear tips and powder on then paint them instead there getting better though keep trying

Hi Geeg
I have read your new book..fab read.
I have been a creative tech for 3 yrs..love it. I do lot's of other bits in my studio.

E.G// su-do airbrushing/waxing/spa pedi/spa mani/lash brow tint/Lash perming...my new treatments are to be completed the end of this month are semi-permanent make-up..debra robson-lawrence academy london..& nouveau lashes.

I did my first class with jane cook..then onto the fantastic nail god marco benito..who is helping me on my way to grand masters (poor guy)
I hope we meet one day you are the light that leads us.
jenny

Mrs Gadget said:
I blend all my tips then on my right hand, I put the acrylic on before I stick tips on, then add pink when tips are on, it works for me.

Jue xx

That is a great idea, I always have trouble with my smiles on my right hand, i'm gonna try that next time :)

Im sure if you do a search it will bring something up. I was searching for sculpting tutorials the other night and came across some tips for doing your own nails

i can blend quite well with my left

Hi,
There's been a few threads recently about doing your own nails. If you do a search you'll find some great tips.

One of the best tips I've had is to do your opposite hand first (right hand if you're right handed) then your easy hand last. It just gets the bit you don't like over with first and you're fresh doing it. Rather than (naturally) doing the hand you're most comfortable with first you're tackling your 'hard hand' and generally come out with better results. I've found anyway!

Its still really hard - unless you're ambidextrous like Gigi (lucky thing!) so the best thing is practicing. I'm loads better now on my own nails than I used to be but am never happy!

I just cheat and get someone else to do them for me- worth every penny :D

I can do both hands the same, funny but I can't do anything else with my left hand but always been able to do my own nails.

Hi,
Sorry but I don't have any tips for you as I struggle to do my right hand. I would love to be able to use both hands but I suppose practice makes perfect. I am a little better than I used to be as when I first started I found myself feeling all cackhanded and waving the file up in the air by my right shoulder!! There are some good ideas coming up though, I thank you too for the advice.
Kimmie

ive got a lot better with loads of practise!!!!
i sculpt now and do my wrong hand first but i also take the handle of my brush off too, helps me get into it without having brush handle flailing about!!! also when i go to file my wrong hand i move my nail over the file and keep my file still!! ( works for me lol!!)

Yeh i keep the file still too!!! i dont have a problem blending the tips on my wrong hand but have a long way to go before ill like the smile line! i end up with odd hands!! lol

x:)

I have to say i am a massive cheat when i do my own nails

I use white tips on myself cause my smiles are so bad on my opposite hand ( i do not tip any of my clients lol)

pink over the top and a UV top coat and all look great and glossy. my only problem is i am a reformed nail bitter so my fills are weekly!!! This is harder than a new set let me tell you!!!!!!!!

So thats my only advise CHEAT WHERE U CAN AND NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW :lol:

if you're doing a new set on your own and dont want to use white tips, try filing out the well of a natural tip or clear ones into a nice smile. thats what i will be doing soon for my own as i will be doing a glitter french. i dont wont wiggly smiles on my right hand,lol.:irked:

My best tip for doing your own nails is ...

VERY CAREFULLY! LOL! And... never do them when you're running short on time!

I do my own, but I"m ambedextrous, so I don't have much of a problem. Odd though... because I have HELL doing henna on my right hand. Tedious and I get annoyed and impatient.

Mrs Gadget said:

Jue xx

im going to try this next time i do my nails :)

claireamy said:
One of the best tips I've had is to do your opposite hand first (right hand if you're right handed) then your easy hand last. It just gets the bit you don't like over with first and you're fresh doing it. Rather than (naturally) doing the hand you're most comfortable with first you're tackling your 'hard hand' and generally come out with better results. I've found anyway!
I always do my right hand first(right-handed ) after struggling through that the left is a breeze.

Latest posts

Back