Anyone know anything about pug puppys ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hello all just wanting a little pug puppy advice ,
my Daughter is wanting a pug puppy I was just wondering what are they like to train ? and their temperament ?
and does anyone know why are they so expensive ?

I'm astonished at the price 1000 pounds plus :eek:
I don't know much about pugs :hug: thank you in advance .

my family has pugs and they are adorable (well not to look at lol) My cousins is called Oxater which in scotland mines armpit and it suits him very well. They are dear little dogs.

the best person to ask is Ruth Mill from this site as i know she has a Pug.

£1000 for a Pug puppy seems about the going rate - they are expensive because they are a pedigree breed, and also not the easiest of dogs to breed either.

But I would say they are an *excellent* breed of dog for children, they are quite a small dog, usually with a lovely temperament (very cuddly and affectionate), and real characters too (one of the comedians of the dog world).

Things to watch out for - if you are getting a puppy, you need to train it well right from the word go, because they can be stubborn little dogs and will twist you round their little finger with their cuteness - be very careful not to overfeed them as they are greedy little dogs and will pester you for food (and you'll want to give in when those gorgeous puggy eyes are staring at you) - they can be prone to putting on too much weight if you aren't careful.

Also make sure you go for a reputable breeder (even if it does mean spending out a bit more money) - Pugs can have certain health problems which a reputable breeder will seek to avoid by only breeding dogs that don't exhibit those problems, whereas less reputable breeders and "puppy farms" are in it more for the money and don't care as much for the welfare of their dogs.

Have a look a Pug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more details of Pugs and also health issues specific to the breed.

Well our Piggy will be 3 at the end of the month now; she's our lovely Pug girl, although we got her when she was about 1 and a half years old so we haven't had her since she was a puppy. We haven't had any major health issues with her so far (touch wood) apart from having to watch her weight carefully. We wouldn't swap her for the world though.

piggy-1.jpg

OMG WHAT A GORGEOUS DOGGY!!! I've wanted a pug since I was about 12!! They are so beautiful!!

OMG WHAT A GORGEOUS DOGGY!!! I've wanted a pug since I was about 12!! They are so beautiful!!

Aye, we love her to bits, she's such an affectionate little doggie.

We both fell in love with a Boston Terrier at Crufts yesterday too, they are such gorgeous little dogs... alas unlike the Pug pic above (which is our Piggy), the Boston in the pic below is not ours :(

boston-terrier.jpg

Oh Ruth (and Sonya) your Piggie is adorable, we have a yorkie and I know what you mean about the eyes:rolleyes:, because of Paul having hurt his knee we aren't taking Trixie out as much as we should and she is swiftly turning into a big dog with a little head:lol:
Haven't you guys got a big dog as well?

one thing, dont pugs have trouble with their bottoms? dont u have to clean the glands or something?

my friend has one, and she loves it to bits, but from what she says 'Betty' is very hard work! And on the training front too.

one thing, dont pugs have trouble with their bottoms? dont u have to clean the glands or something?

my friend has one, and she loves it to bits, but from what she says 'Betty' is very hard work! And on the training front too.

Lots of little dogs have problems with impacted glands because we owners feed them rubbish from our plates:lol:
So long as you do what Ruth said and watch the diet, not just the amount but the nutrition they should be fine. And that is soooooo much easier said then done:lol:

Yes, you have to watch their anal glands, or they will gas you with a fishy/metallicy smell. That's when they aren't farting ;)

Oh Ruth (and Sonya) your Piggie is adorable, we have a yorkie and I know what you mean about the eyes:rolleyes:, because of Paul having hurt his knee we aren't taking Trixie out as much as we should and she is swiftly turning into a big dog with a little head:lol:
Haven't you guys got a big dog as well?

Aww we love Yorkies too and your Trixie sounds lovely.

Aye, we have a St Bernard too, Miss Pepsi:

wedding-02.jpg

She's a gorgeous girl, over 5 years old now though, but still doing fine :)

Know what you mean about exercise though. Pepsi refuses to leave the house without Sonia (and you can't argue with a 67kg dog - they are a dead weight when they don't want to go anywhere) but luckily we have a big garden so she runs around there quite a lot.

Aww thanks for that, it's so sweet :)

Ha ha we put that on the telly downstairs, and, sure as anything, Piggy ran towards the telly and started barking at it ;)

£1000 is probably about right for a pug - they can be quite difficult to get hold of and are a pedigree dog so you will always end up paying more.

Def watch their weight - they can have respiratory problems and being overweight doesn't help this.

Very lovley dogs - as a former veterinary nurse my one piece of advise would be pet insurance - highly recommend it - just make sure you get a covered for life pet insurance policy rather than a 12 month policy (12 month policies only pay for the first 12 month of illness then exclude that condition at renewal for the following year - covered for life you generally have one excess to pay per condition per policy year and are not excluded against a condition if you make a claim)

Hope this helps!

£1000 is probably about right for a pug - they can be quite difficult to get hold of and are a pedigree dog so you will always end up paying more.

Def watch their weight - they can have respiratory problems and being overweight doesn't help this.

Very lovley dogs - as a former veterinary nurse my one piece of advise would be pet insurance - highly recommend it - just make sure you get a covered for life pet insurance policy rather than a 12 month policy (12 month policies only pay for the first 12 month of illness then exclude that condition at renewal for the following year - covered for life you generally have one excess to pay per condition per policy year and are not excluded against a condition if you make a claim)

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that sound advise, I had the kennel club insurance with my last gsd and can not recomend them highly enough. Even when we lost him, they paid out for his purchase price, but more importantly to us, sent us a lovely letter of condolence, always helpful and never tried to wriggle out of paying.

Hi, thank you all for all for your sound information about Pug Puppys and insurance ect , and what we could expect ,

Ruth , your little Piggy is so beautiful thank you for posting the picture ,
we couldn't believe that your sweet little pug was called Piggy :eek:
as this is what we were thinking of calling ours too.

Once again
thank you everyone for giving us some great Pug information
you were all so helpful ,

as for the licking screen saver Pug ,
what a hard little worker lol x its now on our computer licking away at the screen clean for us too , thanks x :hug: x

Ruth , your little Piggy is so beautiful thank you for posting the picture ,
we couldn't believe that your sweet little pug was called Piggy :eek:
as this is what we were thinking of calling ours too.

LOL, I don't think there's any copyright on the name "Piggy" - so go ahead, call yours Piggy too, we won't mind (although it would be confusing if our Pugs ever met lol). Actually Piggy is short for Piglet. She was called Waynetta before we got her though, eep!

Latest posts

Back