Apex with Tip-n-dip & thin self-levelling gels.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
An apex CAN be built with Tip-n-Dip nails AND it's also a method that works with self-levelling thin gels.
I thought I should create a thread for this, so people could find it, if searching.

I've sent many private messages on this subject, and had to re-write it every time LOL
It's not complicated, but thought it would be easier this way.

Ok, below is a TERRIBLE picture that I just did in my photo editor... editing it to give an idea to what I mean, but it'll suffice.

You apply the product in 'zones' or 'sections.
Your first section is the colour red (note: the line is not exactly where it should be AND the apex does move and lengthen according to the length of the nail, so keep this in mind).
Apply the resin thinly ONLY along the red zone, thin dip (or pouf or sprinkle) the powder over it. Tap the finger to remove excess.
Apply resin over the orange zone (overlapping the red), and dip again & tap.
Apply resin over the yellow which is the entire nail (overlapping previous applications), and dip again and tap... then finish as you ordinarily would with your chosen system.

For self-levelling gel, apply red and flash.
Apply orange and flash.
Apply yellow and cure.

Finish file to get your shape.

(PS: reminder... this is a rough picture, quickly done..I had to work backwards and colour the yellow zone first..but you get the idea)

ZonesToApplyResintobuildapex.jpg

hth's

Hi,

Thank you so much. It is going to help me immensely. :)

You're most welcome!

Important to remember to tap off excess before re-applying your resin so that it doesn't get too cloudy (which happens with some brands) and so you don't get 'globs'.

:hug:

I haven't done tip and dip since the 80s, and I never built an apex back then so I only did it on clints with stronger nails. But now I'm going to try it again and add the apex thanks to your instructions. Thank You. Do you get alot of clients that have this done? which do you do the most of L&P, GELS or TIP & DIP or WRAPS?

When I do tip-n-dip, I always add an apex. I find flat nails unnattractive and the added strength adds longevity to the enhancement.
These days, I reserve tip-n-dip for 'one-offs' getting it for graduation or for the weekend.
With weddings... it depends on what they want and whether they'll return for removal. For most weddings, uv gel though (in future, will be L&P)
A rare few clients can wear tip-n-dip indefinately and never suffer breakage. They are few and far between.

At the moment, I do UV Gel mostly. I have 5yrs experience in uv gel.
I only "JUST" learned L&P this month... and have done about 8 sets so far.... I am planning on converting several clients to L&P because of either A) they are heavy handed and might do better B) because of the versatility and endless possibilities in art.
In the end, about half of my clients will be L&P.

I don't do wraps yet, but have used silk & resin to repear breaks in natural nails where the nail hasn't completely torn off.
I intend to learn wraps at a later date.

hth's
:hug:

When i first did wraps I used Backscatcher fiberglass and switched all but a few over From CND (called salor nail then) L&P. It held up well then (and I had a lot of clients with different nail types), but now eather I don't do it right or Backscratchs change something because it doesn't work as it use to. However i think you could use the Tip and Dip apex approach and do it on the Wraps to add strength and better form when you start doing them.

I was actually considering that, as I replied.
Thanks!

thank you very much. I read your messages and I've learned so much. And with this one I'll be much easier. thank you

Sorry for my English I'm a french person

Latest posts

Back