are there times when the really experienced nail techs have a bad day.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie y

Reaction score
Just wondering if their are times that the really experienced nail tech has a bad day with a set of nails, or can you see where your going wrong and are able to rectefy it , (sorry i cant spell). Can you remember how long it took till you really felt you had a perfect set.

well I don;t know if I qualify as really experienced but I've been a nail tech for 6 years! Trust me the more you advance the more critical you get! I am NEVER happy with my work, I always see room for improvement, even if the client can't!!!! However nowadays it is more the real refinements rather than the basics that I have problems with.

if it's something like I've fitted a tip badly then sure I change it as a quick soak off saves so much more time than correcting it when they start to grow out at the rebalance stage.

It took me about 2 years before I was confident in what I do if that helps!

Oh Lordy yes... bad nail days 'r' me :lol:
I've been in the industry for virtually 3 years (not overly experienced) and I still don't ever think I've achieved a perfect set of nails.
We all get our 'off' days when things don't go exactly to plan, it's par of the course, so to speak.
However, I also get days when I know I've achieved a decent set of nails, not perfect by any means, but if I feel happy'ish with the end result then that's a bonus. Clients don't see nails as we do, they don't have 'the eye' for flaws like we do, they see their new nails and think 'WOW', we see their new nails and think 'OMG'...!!!
It's normal :hug:

I had a bad nail day in the MIDDLE of my Custom Blended Class, right after I had taught the girl I was working on how to do what turned into a BEAUTIFUL nail on me, and the one I put on her was hideous. I was VERY irate about it.

I have been doing this stuff since 1995, and I totally agree with Sassy and Sandi- the more experience you get, the more impatient and critical of your own work you tend to be... And your clients rarely notice the difference lol.

:lol: how true! god do i have some bad days.......just cant get that form to fit properbly, my smile line on that thumb just wont smile, cant get my flicks to flick, so on & on & on..........many things can make me have abad day. but like others said, clients cannot see what i can see, i just have to put it right til im satisfied.:)

HI

well i have been doing nails since the early 90's and i can still pick fault with me own work lol

There is always something to learn imo

It must have taken me a good couple of years to get confident with my work.........I tend to have really bad days happen in the summer when it's so hot I can't seem to get my mixed ratio right on my L&P.

If anything it's usually the client that gives me a bad day.........like nail pickers, kids who insist on trying to sit on their mothers lap while having a set of sculpts done......that kind of thing , really!!!

Yep.........we all have 'em , you aint on your own. x:hug:

ive been doing nails for a couple of years now.i dont feel very experienced and i still dont feel very confident in doing them.ive done sets of nails that im quite happy with and ive done some that im not happy with at all so ive actually given a client a discount treatment even though she was happy with them.im sure everyones got their own idea of what a perfect set of nails would look like to them.xxxxxxxxx:)

Although I have done nails for many years I still have bad days where nothing seems to go right and I come home thinking why do I do this lol
But then I will turn out fab nails and I change my mind again.

NEVER - i dont do bad nails ever - hahahhahhaha only joking - of course we all have bad days flower, but i find the more i try to rectify it the worse it gets, i hope youre not beating yourself up over this if this has happened to you, it happens to all of us - dont lose sleep over it flowerpot

Can you remember how long it took till you really felt you had a perfect set.

Personally, I don't know that 'perfect' exists... We're always evolving and changind our techniques. A truly perfect nail is in the eye of the beholder, the level of experience and ability.

And to do 10 technically perfect nails would be a long shot.

We definitely have days where we're happier than others. I sure do ;)

Oh HECK yeah. And I'm a perfectionist, so those days drive me abso-friggin-lutely NUTS. They're getting fewer and farther between as I gain more and more experience, though. It's completely normal. :) I think I was in it a good 2 years before I was really happy with the sets I was doing; I'm into my 8th year now, and I realise how much more I have to learn! It's definitely an ongoing process. :D

Theres nothing worse knowing your nails just arnt what they usually are and you feel so lousy you cant do a thing about it. I just think 'oh well I will make sure they are 100% next time I am here' It often keeps me awake at night!

I've been doing them for seven years and it was after 18months/ 2years I felt really confident and thought they were the business, but after the years went by my confidence grew but also striving for perfection got worse. If I put 100% effort into every set then I never doubt my work.

thanyou for all your comments

Aw thanks for this thread hun.last night i did the worst set of nails since i trained,i was completely gutted and felt very disheartened by it,this thread just goes to show,no matter how experienced or educated we are,ultimately we are human beings and all have our " off days " xx

This is a great thread, and its nice to know how others, and the very experienced techs are so honest. I would love to be able to feel one day I have done the perfect set. I feel that every day I am still striving to improve and have a passion to do more and more sets to make this happen. xx

i never dread doing any sets of nails any more like i did when i first started, thinking i was going to do a crap job, but i still sometimes have that "coming away" feeling,
the one where you think that was the worst set of nails you had ever done, a few months back i had a pink and white rebalance to do and by god i was gutted i was so dissapointed i cried and thought i would lose a client, but our problem is we see much more than the client does and sometimes we dont know when good is good enough.

Do you sometimes do a full set or rebalance and think they are really bad? Then when they come back for their next appointment they are not half as bad as you thought? I've done that a few times too.

Do you sometimes do a full set or rebalance and think they are really bad? Then when they come back for their next appointment they are not half as bad as you thought? I've done that a few times too.

totally, different day, different light and not tired, the rebalance you did and cried over , when the client returns you wonder what the heck you where torturing yourself for...lol

Latest posts

Back