Are we seeing the first signs of the 2009 season kicking off??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collin

the original not the fake
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Just looking back over the last 5 weeks or so and feeding off attitudes and peoples frame of mind which was somewhat down given the dreadful news each night on the state of the country followed by the snow storms I have noticed that since the thaw and the warmer weather now upon us that there is a new positivity in the air...many more smiles on faces and even looking at the various postings on this forum alone there definitely seems to be much more positivity abound....is this the frst signs of Spring?

Whilst there is still a long way to go am I right... has business started to pick up...does this mean that the 2009 season could well and truly have started...what do you think??

What level of activity are you currently experiencing in your business and which activities are on the up thus far this year ?

To be honest, for me Collin, the 2008 season never really ended, and I was only today wondering how other people are faring.

December was a record month for me, and I finished on a real high, but fully prepared for a New Year slump in January.....it never came! January was actually better and another record month! The first couple of weeks of Feb were quieter, (as I was on holiday), but my calendar has filled up fast for my return and I've got bookings all the way into Summer now.

My clients tell me that everywhere else is scrimping on every penny to try and save money on product, time and extra's...however it clearly affects the level of service they receive, but they know my service and skills remain at the very least constant....if not improve, and this is why they choose to come to me....and more importantly tell their friends!

I say that, not out of any wish to impress, but purely because I hope that it may help someone. Time may be hard and money may be tight, but for those that wish to spend...at least they are doing so with me, and word of mouth is better than ever!

I'm busy busy busy! Took more in Jan than Dec and it looks like I will take more again in Feb. Hurrah! I did have a moment earlier though when I thought, 'I NEED A HOLIDAY!' :biggrin:

Oh no!
I've been totally dead this week! I did fine in December and January was great. but February is just a no-go. I'v only been open 3 months tho, so maybe this has something to do with it! :rolleyes:
Just hope I'm not doing something wrong if everyone else is really busy! :cry:

I don't think the start of the year is ever a great time apart from regulars...but get ready for all your promotions from now onwards...women (and men!) still want to look great...especially as the summer comes for us here in the UK!! (If we get one..hmmm)
Let's look POSITIVE!!
I think spray tanning will become much more popular as time goes on due to the change in attitudes over sunbeds tbh.
Good luck everyone for 2009 x

Well December was very busy for me, I was rushed off my feet and kept thinking make the most of it because January and February will be really quiet..... well, suprise, suprise... January was busy! Ok, Feb will be quiet I thought, everyones credit card bills coming in, credit crunch etc etc... but so far I have done more tans in Feb than I did it Jan, and I probably have the same amount booked in for March already!:green: :green:

Just tanned the girls in my local hairdressers who give out my cards for me and promote me really well, I do them at a cheaper rate as a thankyou. The salon owner has booked me every other Wednesday for her and the girls and is going to advertise it in the salon so that any of the hair clients can join them and get tanned at the same time! Happy days! :green:

January for me was quiet until the last week. I am fully booked for Feb, 2 weeks of march is full and the week before the easter school hols in april is full. I always have a plan for the year re courses etc, so the first quaters money is always "put away" for training, spruce up, new uniforms, all that sort of thing. So although busy, still poor, :lol::lol:

I think you're right. I never thought about it until now, that I have actually had a lot of new clients and enquiries. Wow things might just be picking up a bit
**touches wood**

I've had my best winter for years, and like others I took more in January than December. February looked quietish to begin with but the phone hasn't stopped ringing since, I actually have a cancellation list for some days...in a February! I've been so busy I've rewarded myself by buying a nice new facial galvanic & high frequency unit, and have a shopping spree at Ikea arranged!

Oddly enough, I have had a lot of new clients in the last 2 months.

I dismiss the words that are associated with the "economic climate" in our house hold....:green:

At Grayshott we have been very busy,to the point where i have been asked to do overtime which i have:)....We normally have about 70 people checking in and out every day,and a vast proportion are resident guests as Grayshott does not go out of its way to encourage day guests:!:.....although i have no complaints about day guests....but once you have alot of day guests it can become cluttured,and very factory like,as to my experience with health spas.

We had a record January,in fact the best in over 10 years....people are still spending....there is just purely scaremongering.....i stand by what i say....there is no recession...end of:eek::lol:

When i go back to being self employed a few days a week while i am at the spa as well,i hope to entice as many clients as i can with incentives and promotions,but NOT under cutting myself at the same time:!:

I work in a very doom and gloom area, for some reson the people dare i say it quite like talking about who has lost their jobs and who has closed down. As a happy smiley person I have been in overdrive promoting the salon with wedding fairs, new services and I had a launch....................... it seems to be working even tho I had a very very disappointing start to the year I find more and more people coming in and enquiring so I hope that this is the start of things picking up.

The weather really as not helped in how were all feeling, i think i defo get the winter blues grumpy or what :lol:, then today the sun woke me up shining in my room and it just put me in such a good mood, so iv been shopping all day thanks to the weather :green: . I sooo cant wait to set up !!!!

Our first 7 weeks of service revenue in the salon during January and February 2009 have all been up on 2008...fantastic!!!!!

I've been completely dead this year so far. The next two weeks look a lot better, so I'm thinking everyone's paid off Christmas and its all looking up.:)

I had a fairly decent January, then a quieter than expected February. However, since the snow thawed and the days are ever so slightly getting longer I've noticed a change. Last week I was pretty busy, lots of folks going out last weekend. I can actually feel the change of season in the air. This will be my first summer in the beauty industry and I'm hopefull and optimistic!

Best Jan and Feb in 6 years, doesnt seem to have stopped people spending, think everyone gets depressed this time of year and wants a pick me up.
Though I do know a few local experienced nail tecnicians that are really struggling and thinking on taking on another part time job just to pay the bills, which is not good.

In November, I remember telling hubby and a few friends that I had best put in the extra hours in December because come January and February; it would be quiet as all get out.....

Ummmmmmmmmmm I don't want to rub anyone's noses in it, but I couldn't be further from the truth with regards to my "future telling" in November.

Quite the reverse, my business has blossomed in the New Year. An influx of newbies-turned-reg's started in December and has carried over... with another newbie tomorrow morning.

It seems that peeps are wisening up to the NSS in my town.
Also, I now have 4 peeps that work locally in the public eye (restaurant, clothing boutique, esthetician, and a hairdresser)..... and they're handing out cards like mad.

I have asked my Mother in law to be available every Friday so that I can take clients ALL DAY LONG and during the evening.... thereby adding more hours. Up until now, I avoided getting a sitter... but recently, my weeks are so booked, people have to wait 1 or 3 weeks to see me.

Because of this, I was FINALLY (after THREE years of waiting) able to afford to go on my L&P course.... WHICH I'm hoping will add even more to my business.

So for me, it wasn't Spring that changed things for me. And I haven't been hit by the 'Recession' as I had anticipated. I guess my luck is in?

I hope everyone's luck turns like mine, because 2009 has started FABULOUSLY and I'll finally be able to tell hubby "ditch that 2nd job and enjoy your family on weekends again!"

:hug:

Jan & first week of Feb were GReat!!!

Now..... Dead. As. A. Door. Knob!

Latest posts

Back