As a newbie...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't actually. I am doing training in August, and Im not using any exclusive professional products until I get that qualification. All Im using is OPI nail varnish, which I have been using for the past 10 years.

In which case you have everything to gain by sticking around. You will learn so much by being part of this community, but ultimately it's your choice.

Well, I will come back, but I just feel that I have to know loads of stuff beause my opinions wont count otherwise. I was just a bit taken aback by one member!

It has sort of knocked my confidence a bit. But after I do the course and I'm studying for my exam I will pop in.

Don't let your confidence be knocked, things written down can come across in many, many different ways.
I find this site very educational, and I have been a nail tech for a long time now and have learned things on here. Take what you can from the comments that will help you, ignore anything that upsets you, it's not worth it xxxx

A true story:

Back in August 2004 a nail technician with not much experience joined the 'Nail Geek' website, as it was called then... she was a fibreglass technician and thought her work was quite good.

She'd done a set of white French tipped fibreglass enhancements on her friend and wanted to show them off so posted a pic or two on the Nail Geek. A very well known member gave her some feedback and advice, it wasn't what the tech wanted to hear, she felt dejected because she thought that the nails she'd done were great. The tech even moaned to another member in a private message about the feedback she'd received.

She went off and practised, she received an invitation one day to go and train with the member who'd been 'hard' on her. She realised that the nails she'd done previously weren't as good as she thought they were. She learnt so much from that person and in time she realised that the comments on her initial pic were honest and truthful.

The technician was me (yes really!), the well known member was Geeg (fibreglass queen) and the one I'd moaned to was NailsinLondon (Ruth) and one of the best fibreglass techs I know of!

To date, I have trained in all systems with Gigi, she's not only my educator and mentor but one of my close friends.

I suppose the moral of my true story is:
Don't be too quick to jump in and judge the intentions of others, they have your best interests at heart!

:green:

I think we need to stop bandying about the term newbie!

We are not unwelcoming and harsh or rude to newbies just because they are newbies.

What gets our hackles up are people as have been mentioned who come on to the site with no intention of training and what they want is to get free education which will then allow them to buy from auction sites and think of themselves as nail technicians.

We have seen countless numbers of these people - some we do actually manage to turn into successes but others will just fight and fight and fight and eventually they leave.

It is sad that sometimes people who dont fill out their profiles with things like, waiting to do a course later this year etc. and then we are left making assumptions!

Sad but true.

My question to all those people who have given private support to the thread poster, what made you stay if you got the same treatment initially - hopefully it was a positive reason.

Just to end, which scenario do you think would have made Sandi's geek experience the most positive and help her in her career.

1. the scenario which she posted above.
2. everyone looked at her pictures and said oh Sandi they look fabulous, you should be so proud, they are perfect.

there seem to be 2 of us newcomers on this thread, and I for one, have certainly mentioned numerous times that 1) I am buying direct from NSI, the only time auction sites have been mentioned is when people replying have said to try them and I've said I may take a look (thats if I can't find something elsewhere)
2) right from my first introductory post I've said that if I can get funding I will do the course, I've already got details about 2 sat in my drawer and that if I can't do the course, I'll only ever do nails on myself.

I'd rather have a go, following NSI's dvd and Nail Angels tutorials and try and get a feel for things before I go on a course (if I go on one) than turn up and not know my head from my elbow.

I don't want this to turn into an us and them, so I'll just sit back for now.

I dont feel very welcomed on this site.

I think I will come back after I'm fully trained, and then I might understand the way some of you act. Not saying all are all cows haha:lick:

But it just seems, as a new person I havent been welcomed or given advice. I've just be spoken to a bit like a child, I feel anyway.

So, I shall come back later! I think maybe a word of warning though, welcome newbies and explain things first. Rather than being sarcastic and slightly rude.

Most are friendly on here.

But i must say, some people need to type with more tact.

Hi ladies !

Just thought id pop my two pence worth in and say that im also new, and certainly not qualified [yet] but so far the forum has been helpful, handy and brought me right up to speed with new products, techniques and salon form.

I guess rudeness is what we personaly percieve, so it might be better to simple scoot by any misunderstandings and have a nice fresh start. Sticking with the forum can only benefit your understanding of the trade as noobs, or returning noobs to the trade like me :)

Last edited:
there seem to be 2 of us newcomers on this thread, and I for one, have certainly mentioned numerous times that 1) I am buying direct from NSI, the only time auction sites have been mentioned is when people replying have said to try them and I've said I may take a look (thats if I can't find something elsewhere)
2) right from my first introductory post I've said that if I can get funding I will do the course, I've already got details about 2 sat in my drawer and that if I can't do the course, I'll only ever do nails on myself.

I'd rather have a go, following NSI's dvd and Nail Angels tutorials and try and get a feel for things before I go on a course (if I go on one) than turn up and not know my head from my elbow.

I don't want this to turn into an us and them, so I'll just sit back for now.

To be honest, I have spent a lot of the day thinking about all of this and reading your post, I can see actually where our disappointment should lie and that is with professional companies actually allowing you to buy from them.

This is actually not your fault but I am flabbergasted that any company will allow anyone to buy off their website without even checking if they have any professional qualifications.

Or have I misunderstood something again.

To be honest, I have spent a lot of the day thinking about all of this and reading your post, I can see actually where our disappointment should lie and that is with professional companies actually allowing you to buy from them.

This is actually not your fault but I am flabbergasted that any company will allow anyone to buy off their website without even checking if they have any professional qualifications.

Or have I misunderstood something again.

But then what about if someones booked a course and wants to buy a kit to use on the course? I've had details of a few courses now, I can't remember which one it was, didn't write it down because it was too far away, but their price didn't include the product, you had to take your own kit, I know others provide the kit and some you pay extra for one.

I suppose it would limit their market a lot if they didn't sell to 'Joe Bloggs', could be lots of reasons.

There again, that could drive people to auction sites to by the items, I've looked at CND polish, but can't register to buy on their site.

But then what about if someones booked a course and wants to buy a kit to use on the course? I've had details of a few courses now, I can't remember which one it was, didn't write it down because it was too far away, but their price didn't include the product, you had to take your own kit, I know others provide the kit and some you pay extra for one.

I suppose it would limit their market a lot if they didn't sell to 'Joe Bloggs', could be lots of reasons.

There again, that could drive people to auction sites to by the items, I've looked at CND polish, but can't register to buy on their site.
Any reputable company should provide a kit to either buy or include on the the first day of the course. They should'nt expect the student to cherry pick brands from other sources when they haven't got a clue what they should be buying/using. Just my opinion.

Why dont you hang on a wee bit longer & save up for the course put the money in acoount you cant touch :D
I did the 12 day foundation course in L & P with CND nearly 4 years ago and even at the end of that I thought jings I'll never be as good as I want to be! lol
Got there in the end but would never have been able to do it off a video as you don't have the feedback from a tutor (I was always getting "brush down sarah!" as I has the brush at the wrong angle oops! a video would not have done this well I hope not ha!)
I know you want to do it NOW! and I can kinda be like that but seriously save up & do a good course you will never look back :D xx

Ah girls would you get a grip?
Newbies are people new to the industry, looking for help and advice,and they get it here in shedloads.
Most are on good enough courses and classes and they are requesting help from people who perhaps took the same.
And then they move on and are not newbies any more and can give advice to others.
The point being that if you can get your hands on Pro Products or not you need proper training.
If you are an absolute beginner,do the beginners course.plenty around to suit all pockets.
But dont feel unwelcome here,its just that we
all have invested so much in our Education,and if you search on this site you will see that auction sites are not what we are about.

It can be very easy to misinterpret posts, as has been pointed out a number of times, we read, we put our own inflection into what has been written, and this can be wrong, I know, because when I first came here, I read a few posts and thought, "Oh that is a bit harsh" So what I did was a search to find other posts they had replied to, and you know what, I found out it was not them, it was ME! The people on here are very kind and generous of their time and skill, all they ask is that we also invest in our future, like they did.
If you fancied trying out a bit of home electrics, and went onto a professional site for electricians, do you think they would tell you how to re wire your home, for free? No and why, well 1. you could probably kill yourself, and 2. They have invested in their profession. They would probably help out apprentices, but only because they are working towards their future. Now ok, you cannot kill yourself by doing your own hair or nails, but you sure can do a lot of damage, which in turn reflects on OUR profession. Which in turn results in people saying "Oh yes acrylic ruins your nails" or "bleaching your hair makes it break and look like straw" As professionals, we know this is rubbish, but we still have to protect our profession. So try to see it from our point of view as well.:D

Riiiight.

This is getting to be a bit "he said, she said"

1. I apprieciate that the forums are good for some advice.
2. Some people on here do need to write with more tact
3. IN MY OPINION I think some people on her do go in very harshly. And its obviously not just me, as I've had loads of people PM me and say the same.
4. I will keep checking in. I will post when I actually do some nails in August, and yes I will want truthful opinions. Just not harsh. For example: if I do make up on someone I dont want someone to say "That person is ugly" there is no point. CONSTRUCTIVE only.
5. Yes I am doing a course in August. So dont get your knickers in a twist.

I personally think when people read things and think it's a bit harsh, it says more about reader than the writer. I know when I read things I read them in a certain tone. I read them again and put a different tone to them and it changes the post completely.

I agree with the majority if people. When I joined the forum I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I did a Saturday leisure class at my local college to get a feel for it then enrolled in the NQ class. Updating my profile along the way. That way when I asked a question people knew what stage in learning I was at.

I think back to my early time on here. I'm so grateful of all the great advice I got.

Well personally after reading what has gone on ...

I think your right "makebelieve" you should go away get trained and then come back and see that the help and advise of everyone was here for you from day one.
You hearing what people are saying in a positive way..so yes go away and learn!

x

hey, when i first joined i remember thinking "so much for advice and help" i can remeber one comment really hurt my feelings and i just stuck 2 fingers up at the monitor and thought "stuff them"
Do your training properly though!! there is more to doing nails than just putting them on!!

honestly hun, keep at it. remember that you dont know these people personally so does it really matter if they are blunt or rude? no, because if its summat you wanna do then you will achieve it with or without help

good luck with it

Riiiight.

This is getting to be a bit "he said, she said"

1. I apprieciate that the forums are good for some advice.
2. Some people on here do need to write with more tact
3. IN MY OPINION I think some people on her do go in very harshly. And its obviously not just me, as I've had loads of people PM me and say the same.
4. I will keep checking in. I will post when I actually do some nails in August, and yes I will want truthful opinions. Just not harsh. For example: if I do make up on someone I dont want someone to say "That person is ugly" there is no point. CONSTRUCTIVE only.
5. Yes I am doing a course in August. So dont get your knickers in a twist.
1. I don't think we're getting through are we?
2. Posts will come across as you read them, instead of reading something into replies that isn't there, try taking the advice and help as it's intended.
3. I would be interested to know just how many equates 'loads'!
4. Once you've done your training you're more than welcome to post pics for critique, you will get 'fluffy' replies from some members and 'truthful and helpful' replies from others.
5. I'm not going 'there'!

All we've offered is help, advice, direction etc...

hey, when i first joined i remember thinking "so much for advice and help"

i can remeber one comment really hurt my feelings and i just stuck 2 fingers up at the monitor and thought "stuff them" Nice!!!
Do your training properly though!! there is more to doing nails than just putting them on!!

honestly hun, keep at it. remember that you dont know these people personally so does it really matter if they are blunt or rude? no, because if its summat you wanna do then you will achieve it with or without help

good luck with it
From all of the threads you started when you joined not once did you have zero replies, not once did you get ignored, just help and advice all the way.

What I don't understand is why people keep confusing the words blunt and rude with truthful replies, help and advice.

When asking a question on a forum you (you meaning everyone) can have two mindsets, one is to be open to receive help and advice, accepting that therapists who are more experienced than you will give you their professional opinion on your query. The other mindset is to be closed to the above, not wanting to hear answers other than what you are expecting/wanting to hear.
I would rather choose the first option.

And... on that note... being as this thread obviously isn't going anywhere... it's now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back