Back waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAOH

jog jog jogging
Reaction score
Evening all,

Any tips for waxing a gents back and shoulders!

I have been asked by one of my nail clients to wax her husbands back. Before moving here, he used to have it done alot. I've explained to my client, im happy to give it a go (have explained this will be my first gent, so good experience for me, and he will sign a disclaimer), but i'm starting to panic.......just having images of ultra long hairy man:eek:

Any tips would be appreciated. :hug:

There is an excellent tutorial on here.Gorilla warfare by Andy Rouillard,Axiom.There are also a few videos of him doing workshops at i think excel,on You tube just put in andy Rouillard and you will find the list.There are also some of Kim but i dont think shes doing men.

There is an excellent tutorial on here.Gorilla warfare by Andy Rouillard,Axiom.There are also a few videos of him doing workshops at i think excel,on You tube.There are also some of Kim but i dont think shes doing men.

Thankyou very much Gillian.:hug:

I am at college doing beauty made my husband let me wax him he is very very hairy I waxed him. In small stages as he has to have a reward which is a facial lol After I had done him I was told by my tutor should of cut the hair if it was long hurts less oopps next time I will clipper him first:)

I am at college doing beauty made my husband let me wax him he is very very hairy I waxed him. In small stages as he has to have a reward which is a facial lol After I had done him I was told by my tutor should of cut the hair if it was long hurts less oopps next time I will clipper him first:)
Its not really a case of clippering long hair because it hurts less.We clipper or cut hair so the wax doesn't all congeal into the hair thus making it harder to wax the hair out cleanly..and not leaving big clumps of matted hair/wax behind:eek:
I would always speed wax a male client,because they generally have stronger hair and do find it painful.There is nothing worse for a guy than a therapist flaffing around because she/he is worried about hurting the client.
I generally start at the base of the back and work my way up one side then across onto the other side.Make sure you are methodical and blend the shoulder hair into the back rather than leaving any hard lines
The sides of the back,under the scapula are the most painful areas for a guy.You will usually get quite a lot of reddening(erythema) and blood spotting because of the strong hair growth. Use a Witch Hazel cooling gel after waxing.HTH

Depends how hairy the back is. Some men have their backs completely covered with hair whilst others have may just have 2 sections either side.
If their back is completely covered i do it in sections. I do the base of the back first in a straight line using non-strip wax. I then do a line straight down the middle of the back again using non-strip wax. You then have the 2 side sections to do which i do using strip wax.
The hair on the shoulders i leave till least. The hair grows upwards so you need to apply the wax in a different direction. When doing the right shoulder get them to lie their head to the left and vice versa. If the hair goes round the shoulder to the front then i get them to sit up.
If you trim first it saves using so many strips and it's less messy :)

I do the same as Angelina. If the back is covered in hair i do across the base first, then a strip down teh middle. I then do one side then the other, in sections.
I do as much as i can going up the shoulders and across the back of the neck line. I then sit the client up to finish of the shoulders.
I then blend in so there are no harsh lines.

If you trim first it saves using so many strips and it's less messy :)

I agree with everything here. I get frustrated clippering and waxing in the same session though. I always get clippered hair sticking back to the waxy or oily bits that I've already treated! I then go to tweezer them off - only to discover that it's not rooted hair! :eek:

I don't overly like clippering. It is SO messy! And it can be a little irritating when clients only have their backs waxed twice a year when they are hairy enough to need it doing every month :green:

I don't overly like clippering. It is SO messy! And it can be a little irritating when clients only have their backs waxed twice a year when they are hairy enough to need it doing every month :green:
Most guys are the same though Zoe,you tell them to come back every 4 weeks for re wax and they agree that it would be far less painful and quicker yet it's like they think, 'phew!!!!not going back there til I absolutely have to':lol:

Most guys are the same though Zoe,you tell them to come back every 4 weeks for re wax and they agree that it would be far less painful and quicker yet it's like they think, 'phew!!!!not going back there til I absolutely have to':lol:

Exactly! Most of them are only there because they're on a promise too :lol:

I LOVE waxing mens backs.. its THE most satisfying feeling.. and a great stress relief haha...

But yeah I also agree with everything that has been said.. do it in sections!!!

Also, be prepared for them swearing at you- I've had a couple lol...

xTx

Latest posts

Back