Bad Bad Day.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poshpinks

Reaction score
Hi all what a day I have had today . 1st I get told that the people I rent from are selling so got 3 months to find somewhere eles to live, 2nd and this was the final blow I got the sack from the salon I worked in So not a happy bunny.

What happened was they have not had any work coming in they said its very quiet and then they said that they heard I was trying to take clients home with me but that was not the case. One client (who was not a regular) asked if I knew of any mobile nail techs to which I replied only me, and she asked for my number.

Well the manager heard this and waited till now to say something to me; this was over a month ago and I feel that they have used this to let me go. I am quite sad about this as I really like working there its the first job I have had in 6 yrs since the kids have been born. Don't really know what to do now do I go mobile or try for another job in a salon but feel like the salon I worked in will not give me a reference and I didnt get to say bye to the girls I worked with.:cry:

Did you get to tell your side of the story? It sounds as if there is more to this than youhave said.

There is such a thing as unfair dismissal you know.

Gigi is right - get yourself down to the Citizens Advice Bureau - the number will be in the Yellow Pages.

Employers cannot give you a bad reference nor may they dredge up things from the past. HTH:hug:

Gigi is right - get yourself down to the Citizens Advice Bureau - the number will be in the Yellow Pages.

Employers cannot give you a bad reference nor may they dredge up things from the past. HTH:hug:

Really?? I did not know this. What good is a reference then if it is not a true reference??

They can refuse to give you a reference which then speaks volumes hth's

I told them what happened and they said they didnt believe me and that they feel that I am not loyal to the salon and that they can not trust me so the manager said that as she could not trust me we could not have a working relationship she said she had never in the three years she had worked there had she had to have this conversation with anyone else. I only worked self employed and they never got round to getting my contract signed so I dont think I have leg to stand on. To be honest I was asked to work there in november by the owner I agreed and they asked if when the other girl went on maternity if I would like more hours , at that time I was able to do the extra hours and happly agreed. Ever since the other girl came back I have had very little work and in the end nothing so went in today to see if we could come up with ways to get work in and thats when she let me have it.x

Really?? I did not know this. What good is a reference then if it is not a true reference??
None, but you cannot give a bad one - it does give you a chance to explain yourself. It may not help much but does stop you being bad mouthed out of hand.

If you were self employed they can not sack you as you worked for yourself,
they would have to give you written notice to leave and give you a reasonable time frame to do so in,
also if you are self employed and the lady that has asked for your number was a lady that you gave treatments to, then she is your client not theirs,
they can only ask you not to give your details to clients that are treated by another therapist in their salon hth

If you were self employed they can not sack you as you worked for yourself,
they would have to give you written notice to leave and give you a reasonable time frame to do so in,
also if you are self employed and the lady that has asked for your number was a lady that you gave treatments to, then she is your client not theirs,
they can only ask you not to give your details to clients that are treated by another therapist in their salon hth
i totally agree with this.
i would definately go to your citizens advice burea to see where you stand.they are usually so helpful.
please dont let this put you off working in another salon but i do think that you should weigh up the pros and cons off working in a salon and being mobile before you make another desicion.you need to make te right choice for you.
i wish you all the best for the future.xx

If you have proof you can give a bad reference. There is no law against it . If say someone was off sick a lot you can give the number of days absence .Also if they were sacked for theft you could say "police are currently interviewing this individual on a matter of theft." If this is a lie then the ex empolyee could sue .
On the other hand if an ex employer gave a glowing ref to a new employer saying the employee is better than he really is then the new empoler can sue !!
ok employment law lesson over !!!!

If you have proof you can give a bad reference. There is no law against it . If say someone was off sick a lot you can give the number of days absence .Also if they were sacked for theft you could say "police are currently interviewing this individual on a matter of theft." If this is a lie then the ex empolyee could sue .
On the other hand if an ex employer gave a glowing ref to a new employer saying the employee is better than he really is then the new empoler can sue !!
ok employment law lesson over !!!!

Spot on...:)

References: How to write them | OUT-LAW.COM

I hope tomorrow brings a better day for you! *hugs*

Thanks to you all some sound advice :)

If you want to fight it then do, I think you've have some good advice, but if would you rather just move on?

If you want to look to the future have you thought about renting a room and setting up by yourself? And of course going mobile is also an option.

Hi Debs , dont really want to fight it as I would not go back as to much was said so think I will look to the future. I had thought about doing mobile but not renting a room that is something I could look into thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back