Basic artificial nail course requirements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its awful some of the training you here about, i had a friend which had booked to have nails done by myself.
she then cancelled cause she was modelling for a friend,
she told me the nails were off the next day they were very poor quality, which isnt to bad in itself as it was the girls first set of acrylics she had done, but the bad part is that she did this day course and this one set of nails and apparently now qualified with certificate and insurance !! and she has been working on clients charging them full wack and telling them shes been doing it for ages !!! gives us that has had good training and worked hard a bad name !!

As a very basic requirement, those taking a course in artificial nails must cover:
-understanding of the natural nail (if a manicure qualification is not already achieved)
-anatomy and physiology of the nail unit
-basic chemical processes of the system being studied (1 system only)
-contra indications and contra actions
-tip application
-overlay application (1 system only)
-natural nail overlays
-sculptured nails
-maintenance (infills and rebalances)
-removal

I am currently studying a manicure course, which covers ALL of the elements suggested above. The nail extension course I am looking at also covers some of these elements. So, once I have my manicure qualification (Level 2 VCTC), I should be all right to offer nail extenions on a professional basis?

I am currently studying a manicure course, which covers ALL of the elements suggested above. The nail extension course I am looking at also covers some of these elements. So, once I have my manicure qualification (Level 2 VCTC), I should be all right to offer nail extenions on a professional basis?

You would not be classed as a professional after a 2 day course or a 5 day course, if you look at the definition of the word professional .

'Professional' really means the point at which one no longer needs any supervision and can go it alone to a high stgandard (although it does not mean that thereis nothing more ever to learn). You will be a long way off that definition after a 2 day course in any part of nails.

I would say that you would be in beginner practise mode and would be for the next year or so and hopefully within that time you would have done allot more training. It is not an easy road or a short road to competancy in nails by any stretch of the imagination and that is just the skills part .. what about the knowledge and experience part? :idea:

I agree. My fiance' has been a nail tech for 18 years and we are always talking about the substandard courses being taught in BC, Canada. It amazes both of us how a "college" can teach using a substandard product and throw a pile of differant disciplines together and now your a nail tech? Pretty crazy out there lol.

I did the lechat training course which covers almost all of the above but not nail sculpting??? I did level 1... in fact, (hate to admot this), i didnt know what nail sculting was til i came on here and suggested i look on youtube where i found nail sculpting - marvellous! I am goin to have a try, as my product can also be used for this, at no extra cost to me :) (apart from the nail forms). What an art!

Sculptured nails are the best way to do it. Glue breaks down in about 3 days. You don't have to worry about that with sculpting. No lifting.:)

I have watched lots of videos on this, had no training tho. And cant afford it right now re new baby on the way! All the products i have are also suitable for sculpting, just need forms so may get some and just try it out? Would u say they take more time than tips? And would i just use same amount of product i use over the tips to sculpt with or a few layers and cure each one?

I would say they take less time because you won't have to file the free edge short and spend the time blending the tip to the natural nail. You just file the natural nail to remove shine, clean with your dehydrator, use what you are using for a primer, if any, apply your forms and don't touch the natural nail now that it is clean use your first layer cure for a few seconds sculpt with the white to make your free edge and clean your smile line so it's nice and even, cure for a few seconds (10 or so so) then use your builder and cure for the full time reguired. Remove your form and file to make look nice and follow with your top coat.

Hi,

I am looking into 2 courses, but want to know people's professional thoughts on the length and content of the courses. I am unsure which one to choose. The first one is at the Sheffield College and is here:

Search for a Course at The Sheffield College

The second one is at The Sheffield School of Health & Beauty and is here: Sheffield College | Course Information | College Courses | White Rose Beauty Colleges

The one at Sheffield college covers acrylic, manicure and pedicure and is £835 including kit. It is over 22 3 hour sessions. The second is £1121, does acrylic, gel, fibreglass, silk, manicure and pedicure - this one is 12 days 9.30-4.30 and also 10 evenings.

I am tempted by the 2nd one as I will learn more techniques for only a little more money. It is more hours.

Has anyone got any comments on the courses, do they sound like reasonable amounts of time to learn these skills?

Thank you

I see that after training some people are confused of what system to choose. Please can someoe explain this to me? Why is there a need to choose a certain type of nail when you know more than one technique? What exactly is meant by a 'system'? I just don't want to learn all nail techniques if i can only afford to do one of them.

Thanks Guys

I think some ppl have trained in several but prefer using one system as it works better for them / they find it suits them better. I only trained in gels with lechat, and have looked at other products, but have no desire to learn other systems at this stage tbh. I did have an episode the other day where i thought my product was crap, turns out in fact there were a cpl things i had forgotten and 2 of the people i had worked on were out to blag me which in turn i lost my confidence and nrly gave the lot up! I think u just find a system ur happy with, products ur happy with etc...

Sculptured nails are the best way to do it. Glue breaks down in about 3 days. You don't have to worry about that with sculpting. No lifting.:)

That is not true. We don't use glue in the nail industry we use surgical grade adhesive which does not break down after 3 days - that would be pretty dumb don't you think? I use CND Gelbond when I tip and I've never had it break down.

A well sculpted nail and a well tipped nail are both structurally sound, and should look equally good. When I did my CND Masters I had to sculpt one hand and tip the other making them look the same. Both hands also wore the same and lasted the same......

It's also not true that a sculpted nail wont lift - lifting is lifting and if you are doing something to cause it the nail will lift regardless of how it was applied.

I see that after training some people are confused of what system to choose. Please can someoe explain this to me? Why is there a need to choose a certain type of nail when you know more than one technique? What exactly is meant by a 'system'? I just don't want to learn all nail techniques if i can only afford to do one of them.

Thanks Guys

Systems are usually the type of product (l+p acrylic, or gel), whereas a technique is how it is applied (tip and overlay or scuplted).

Ultimately you want to aim for being competant in more than one system as well as more than one technique. Looking as it as a journey I believe it's better to learn one thing at a time and master it before moving on to something else. Nail education is not a one-off or a short journey, take your time and perfect your skills one at a time.

Hth's

In Canada they use just glue. For the record since everyone seems to be CND this and CND that, CND doesn't really have a presence in Canada except for polishes and Shellac that we have seen ,so I'm sorry if we are not familiar with how great it is.

In Canada they use just glue. For the record since everyone seems to be CND this and CND that, CND doesn't really have a presence in Canada except for polishes and Shellac that we have seen ,so I'm sorry if we are not familiar with how great it is.
For the record we have many members who use a huge differing range of products, not just one brand.

Also, as professionals, we use adhesive. Our adhesive is made specifically for use with nails/tips/fibreglass etc
Glue is made from animal by-products and not designed for use on humans!

Lol. Sorry, but in their catalogues it is called nail glue. Guess they're not that politically correct on their wording. Thanks for the info.

Hi Nailguy,
In canada INM Canada do a fab resin for nails. They don't just use glue in canada, they may call it that, but its not your everyday household glue, you can even get fantastic Fibreglass a resin based system in Canada.

There are plenty of Nail system distributors who sell resin, they call it glue, or adhesive, but it is Ethyl Cyanoacrylate (EC resin) for short. It does not disovle in 3 days. There are times when sculpting is not an option due to nail shape and tipping and overlaying with chosen system the only answer.
Just found this for CND.

CND Distributors in Canada are found here:

ALBERTA

Monarch (BSG), 888.241.3330

Obsco (BSG), 888.241.3330

Pro Nail Systems, 800.815.9292

BRITISH COLUMBIA

Beauticians Supply (BSG), 888.241.3330

Europe Cosmetiques, 604.689.3992 or 800.237.0042

MANITOBA

Salon Centre, 204.786.0001

NEWFOUNDLAND/LABRADOR

Professional Beauty Supplies, Professional Beauty Supplies, 709.364.5110
NOVA SCOTIA, NEW BRUNSWICK, PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND

Maritime Beauty Supply, Maritime Beauty > Home, 902.429.8510

ONTARIO

Classique, 416.746.7000

Europe Cosmetiques, 905.333.0599

Intercosmetics, Intercosmetics Leaders In Esthetic & Spa Supplies Since 1970, 800.263.4333

Jaguar (BSG), 888.241.3330

QUEBEC

Europe Cosmetiques, Creative Nail Design - CND - Professional Nail, Hand and Foot Beauty Products - Artificial Acrylic Nails and Brisa Gel., 800.263.8888

SASKATCHEWAN

Salon Centre, 204.786.0001

HTH

Many times I get this question from girls who are new in this "How and where can i practice my nail technician skills?"

I usualy tell them to organize tea+nail party for her friends. This way they can practice and have some fun.

Like you said, these things can not be tought in teory.

HI,

I finished a 4 day course a month ago, where they touched, gel nails, acrylics and Fiber Glass. The course was very expensive and I have now seen others online, but I can't afford to do another course. I was planning to set up my own business but I feel so cheated by this company.

No practice they showed us once and then we had to practice home. They never showed us how to remove or maintain.

I have bought the nail trainer and I will by some nails to keep on practicing till I can afford to buy another acrylic nail course.

any advise welcome.
Sylvie
TheGlamourLounge

Latest posts

Back