Basic artificial nail course requirements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mum

Reaction score
There are so many threads on here that question the content of the writers courses. Students don't feel equipped to provide services for paying clients.

As a very basic requirement, those taking a course in artificial nails must cover:
-understanding of the natural nail (if a manicure qualification is not already achieved)
-anatomy and physiology of the nail unit
-basic chemical processes of the system being studied (1 system only)
-contra indications and contra actions
-tip application
-overlay application (1 system only)
-natural nail overlays
-sculptured nails
-maintenance (infills and rebalances)
-removal

This should all be a mixture of theoretical and practical learning. The practical skills should NEVER be taught theoretically.

Before taking on paying clients the student MUST work with an absolute minimum of 10 'clients' over a period of time.

I have written 2 text books and am the 'nail expert' for Habia. I am not affiliated with any brand. If any one has taken a course that does not include these basics then it is NOT a good enough course. I am happy to discuss this basic requirement with any trainer or Company.

I welcome any comments and suggestions!

So many newcomers to this industry are confused and at a loss to what is right!!

Great thread:hug:

I can think of numerous courses that don't cover half of the above:rolleyes:

It's such a mine field out there for newbies! This is a great check list for yourselves when making enquiries on training providers. You could also add onto it the experience, qualifications and respectability of the educators.

Excellent post Marian. I was having a discussion with another tech yesterday and the things that a lot of trainers*don't* teach is appalling. The only thing I would add to your list is the proper sanitisation/disinfection of equipment/tools and troubleshooting.

:)

Nancy

Excellent post Marian. I was having a discussion with another tech yesterday and the things that a lot of trainers*don't* teach is appalling. The only thing I would add to your list is the proper sanitisation/disinfection of equipment/tools and troubleshooting.

Nancy

Nancy you are so right and I apologise for not including it!!!

Decontamination and current legislation on all H&S issues MUST be included

How did I miss out this??
:hug:

I'm sure this thread will provide very useful information to all newbies and maybe even a check list for those who require further education that have not covered some of the things on the list yet are practicing doing nails.

And as Marian says, these are the very BASICS ... her list is by no means the whole list! This is the minimum requirement to get one started.

Great information Marian I even think it should be made a 'sticky' so it doesn't get lost amongst the many posts received on salon geek each day.

The problem is, when starting out, peeps don't know what is good and what is bad and they generally find their way here after a bad experience. I have just googled 'nail extension training'. CND did not come up, nor did any of the other big names. Maybe something could be done about this, as I'm sure many aspiring techs start at Google.

Hey ya, I have a quick question if you wouldn't mind offering some advice? I wanted to do my assessors award and run courses at my salon but I'm not sure how I would go about it or what I would need to do to run insurance coverable course?

Hey ya, I have a quick question if you wouldn't mind offering some advice? I wanted to do my assessors award and run courses at my salon but I'm not sure how I would go about it or what I would need to do to run insurance coverable course?

Contact the GUILD for accreditation advice.

Very helpful for a noob like me, thanks!

perhaps some advice on class/teacher ratio.

ive had students who have covered 3 systems in 2 days with only 1 tutor for 17 pupils on other courses!

Last edited:
perhaps some advice on class/teacher ratio.

ive had students who covered 3 systems in 2 days with only 1 tutor for 17 pupils !

Good one!

Personally I don't think any teacher who wants to do the best for students should have more than 6-8 in a class. Personally I like to handle 6.

Good one!

Personally I don't think any teacher who wants to do the best for students should have more than 6-8 in a class. Personally I like to handle 6.

me too, and i insist they bring models so they can do a full days practice and not spend half their time modelling for other students. they pay for a days training, they get a days training.

me too, and i insist they bring models so they can do a full days practice and not spend half their time modelling for other students. they pay for a days training, they get a days training.

I agree Susan but.....I think every learner should 'experience' too.

This is not only for the 'feel' of the process but also for the (usually abysmal) results a beginner produces! It can be a painful process in the wrong hands. Painless and damage free in the right hands.

Trouble is, as always, time! I believe you can learn just as much as a 'model' for a limited time. A good trainer will be talking to the group all the time as well as demonstrating with the individual. Beginners often come up with the very best questions.

I haven't trained a group for a long time so it may be different now, but, there used to be a query over models many years ago. A model would attend a course, listen and watch attentively and the go home and practice. Hey presto... a nail technician!!!!

A good nail technician MUST experience a beginners application!

i encourage them to do their own nails as practice too and this way they can understand how their treatments feel first hand.

there are only 2 schools here i Medford Oregon that i can go to. Only one that takes state loans. Phagans is the name. Here is the list of what you get over a 3 month time frame. I am Moving to FL. West Palm Beach and have thought I should wait till I get there. But That is not till june. I think that Phagans covers all you said but not 100% sure.

The Nail Technology Course is 600 clock hours and takes approximately three and a half months to complete.

Unit 1: Pre-Clinic/Freshman Extension
The foundation of nail technology is composed of laboratory "hands-on" classes consisting of manicuring, pedicuring, hand and arm massage, leg and foot massage, reflexology and artificial nails.

Unit 2: Sophomore
Further development of laboratory practices from the pre-clinic unit with focus on accuracy and speed. Academic classes focusing on nail diseases, disorders and anatomy are introduced.

Unit 3: Junior
Importance is placed on the practical application of services performed. Development of speed, introduction of new methods, techniques and product are emphasized.

Unit 4: Senior
Senior classes are constructed to develop the finishing skills needed to be proficient in the work place. Individual interests are explored with emphasis on successful employment. Classes in academics prepare the Nail Tech to successfully take the written Board of Cosmetology examination.

RE: Moving to Florida. You might want to check to see if it would be better for you to get your licence in OR and then transfer it. The reason I say that is there aren't that many quality nail tech courses in West Palm Beach (lived in PBC for over 12 years before moving to NZ).

Do your research on schooling comparing OR to FL and make the calls to get the info.

N

there are only 2 schools here i Medford Oregon that i can go to. Only one that takes state loans. Phagans is the name. Here is the list of what you get over a 3 month time frame. I am Moving to FL. West Palm Beach and have thought I should wait till I get there. But That is not till june. I think that Phagans covers all you said but not 100% sure.

The Nail Technology Course is 600 clock hours and takes approximately three and a half months to complete.

Unit 1: Pre-Clinic/Freshman Extension
The foundation of nail technology is composed of laboratory "hands-on" classes consisting of manicuring, pedicuring, hand and arm massage, leg and foot massage, reflexology and artificial nails.

Unit 2: Sophomore
Further development of laboratory practices from the pre-clinic unit with focus on accuracy and speed. Academic classes focusing on nail diseases, disorders and anatomy are introduced.

Unit 3: Junior
Importance is placed on the practical application of services performed. Development of speed, introduction of new methods, techniques and product are emphasized.

Unit 4: Senior
Senior classes are constructed to develop the finishing skills needed to be proficient in the work place. Individual interests are explored with emphasis on successful employment. Classes in academics prepare the Nail Tech to successfully take the written Board of Cosmetology examination.

Difficult to tell as there isn't much detail (e.g. 'artificial nails'!) but the general content is great!

I love the min number of hours that is required.

At the end of the day, the quality of the trainer is one of the most important aspects. A couple of days with a fabulous is worth more that a month with a rubbish trainer.

I am seriously considering becoming a mobile technician as I feel it is the best thing for me and my family and I have looked deeply into the pros and cons of this business and feel certain it is something I can get into and am willing to work very hard. I am trying to find out what the best course would be to ensure I get the best start in this career. Does anyone have any suggestions about a full and comprehensive course I can do to get me started.

Thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back