Basic artificial nail course requirements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am seriously considering becoming a mobile technician as I feel it is the best thing for me and my family and I have looked deeply into the pros and cons of this business and feel certain it is something I can get into and am willing to work very hard. I am trying to find out what the best course would be to ensure I get the best start in this career. Does anyone have any suggestions about a full and comprehensive course I can do to get me started.

Thanks in advance

A full and comprehensive course will take you about one year to do and the rest of your career updating!! Learning is life long.

You start with Foundation learning and trust me you want the best.

LOOK THROUGH THE SYLLABUS ON Welcome - Sweet Squared (the UK home of Creative Nail Design) OR

RING 08452106060 AND talk it through with the education sales staff of the only nail company in the UK to have won not only one but two industry awards for their superior training, CND. They will be happy to send you a prospectus and to answer any questions. If you want to train with a company with a solid reputation for over 30 years and who has been the industry leader in product development for the same amount of time then this is the one.

Oh god!!!! I have completed a course with a training school that will remain nameless and covered two systems in one day!!!! I really feel out of my depth now and can't afford to do another course!!! I really wish I had been able to find out more about CND. I now don't know what way to turn because to pay for another course I need to earm some more money but I don't want to give a bad service as it's important to me that my clients will get the best!

Help please!!! :(

Last edited:
Oh god!!!! I have completed a course with a training school that will remain nameless and covered two systems in one day!!!! I really feel out of my depth now and can't afford to do another course!!! I really wish I had been able to find out more about CND. I now don't know what way to turn because to pay for another course I need to earm some more money but I don't want to give a bad service as it's important to me that my clients will get the best!

That is crazy!!! Even one system in one day is bad enough and not acceptable :eek:

Is it just one day or do you have more days still to do?

I really feel for you i have heard so much story's like this :cry:

I know you don't want to hear this now, but it is always good to do your research before doing any courses like this, you could look at this course you have done as a taster and when you can get the funds together go and do a begginers course with one of the big brands xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Natilie

It was just one day and no more to go. I know you are right but I thought that because they were recognised by The Guiild that it would be ok. I think I will try saving up and go do a further course. I have done the Creative Spa Systme so I will just offer that for the moment and try get some funds together.

Good luck I hope it all works out for you :) xxx

Good one!

Personally I don't think any teacher who wants to do the best for students should have more than 6-8 in a class. Personally I like to handle 6.
an

Im with you on this one geeg but I like to keep my class small with between 4 and 6 students as I find this helps with student who have confidence issues.

Hey honey dont feel to bad about this the best of us here have made the same mistake and you have dust yourself down and when you can get back on the training program.

I have had a lady come to me in the last few weeks who did the same course in Glasgow with I think the same company you are talking about. She has now completed training with Young Nails and wished she had done more home work before parting with her cash.

The think is this thread will go along way into helping students to make the correct choice of company for them, which there are a few very good companys out there providing outstanding service and training.

It is just unfortunate that there are some cowboys/cowgirls out there like in most industries willing to pull the wool over people's eyes and take thier hard earnd cash and the certificate they receive is not worth the paper it is written on.

Rant over hope this has been of some help

RE: Moving to Florida. You might want to check to see if it would be better for you to get your licence in OR and then transfer it. The reason I say that is there aren't that many quality nail tech courses in West Palm Beach (lived in PBC for over 12 years before moving to NZ).

Do your research on schooling comparing OR to FL and make the calls to get the info.

:)

N

Thanks guys! Yeah i am going to look in to schools in the WOB area. I have talked with the school here. I asked what system the teach and she said all of them.... that made me a bit uneasy.

Hey ya, I have a quick question if you wouldn't mind offering some advice? I wanted to do my assessors award and run courses at my salon but I'm not sure how I would go about it or what I would need to do to run insurance coverable course?

I have had my courses accredited by ABT with whom I also have my insurance. Its free and allows you to offer a recognised qualification!:)

Great thread Marion.

Is there anything that can be done about the college courses that cover beauty, but only touch on enhancements, letting the girls do a few nails then passing them, I have seen a lot of therapists CVs that say they are qualified in enhancements, but when they come for a trade test.. well the results are pretty poor.

Excellent thread Marian!

I think more emphasis should be put on extraction ventilation and over-exposure to products. The dangers encountered in not working with proper extraction ventilation and good working methods should be highlighted very strongly. It may be touched on in H&S but I really think this one needs to be drummed into students.

It is interesting too that none of the education centres where I have trained have ever had proper extraction ventilation - even classes with 8+ students.:rolleyes: Many a time student used to leave overcome with vapours.

Great thread Marion.

Is there anything that can be done about the college courses that cover beauty, but only touch on enhancements, letting the girls do a few nails then passing them, I have seen a lot of therapists CVs that say they are qualified in enhancements, but when they come for a trade test.. well the results are pretty poor.

Hi Jac :)smack:couldn't resist)

I wish there was! It's such a shame that there are so few good nail teachers in colleges. I think it often happens in beauty courses that the nails unit is taught by a beauty therapist teacher who has no real interest.

Students seem to be passed on their portfolio work but the assessors and both internal and external verifiers don't seem to be able to recognise good and bad nails! I've brought it up so many times but, on paper, those seeing the process through are qualified to do so!

So frustrating! But, in saying that, I've seen horrific pics on here of nails that loads of geeks then post and say how fabulous they are!

Acceptance of what is good and what is unacceptable seems to have a wide range of opinions!!

Sorry Marian..lol

I wish I could say that they are acceptable but the ones I have seen can barely apply and blend a tip let alone do a P&W, its a shame that enhancements are not a course on their own rather than being lumped in with beauty, or maybe a qualified experienced Nail tech should teach that part of the course.
I am talking only about the ones that I have seen straight out of college, I dont mean to offend anybody, its just my opinion.

Last edited:
I don't think you're offending anyone at all! I'm sure many people on here have seen the nails you're talking about.

All courses at college must be taught by someone qualified in that area. Nails units are optional units in the BT qualifications (I think). There is a separate nail services qualification but, in theory, any unit can be taken with any other. So, for example, waxing could be taken with the nails units.

It does seem that good nail technician teachers are hard to find at FE. The industry in general doesn't really support the FE route and good teachers prefer the shorter private courses.

There is an income issue here as private courses pay far more than FE. Plus and very importantly, FE classes tend to be much bigger and with lots of paperwork and rules to follow.

It's a shame for FE who provide widely available funded courses for so many people. It doesn't attract many of the good teachers.

Bit of a vicious circle really

Sorry Marian..lol

I wish I could say that they are acceptable but the ones I have seen can barely apply and blend a tip let alone do a P&W, its a shame that enhancements are not a course on their own rather than being lumped in with beauty, or maybe a qualified experienced Nail tech should teach that part of the course.
I am talking only about the ones that I have seen straight out of college, I dont mean to offend anybody, its just my opinion.
Nails are not actually lumped in with beauty,its the up to the college which addtional units they teach and very few opt for nails because as you say they do not have experienced nail techs to teach it.
Its taught separately as a level 2 then an NVQ level 3 qualification taking a total of 2 years to complete. Most beauty students in my college come back to complete the nail courses in addition to beauty as its not covered in beauty at all.
Problem with experienced nail techs teaching nails is that we have to have the NVQ level 3 in nail services ourselves as well as an assessors award and a foundation degree in teaching, so if we wish college standards to rise WE have to get in their and offer our services and skills- i did- and i can honestly say the standard of skill and talent in my current level 3 group is outstanding, and i am proud.I have seen many girls and boys go on private education courses, and again some are good , some are bad- the fact is the ratio of colleges to private companies is huge.

iI KNOW my students are receiving good education so its unfair to say nails are lumped in with beauty as its not necessarily the case, and YES it is taught separately in some places!!! Give us the chance to move with the changes and if not , do what i have done, get in there and make a difference! For the record, i was privately trained, did my NVQ level 3 in nails, teach 10 hours a week, work in my own nail salon 50plus hours a week and sleep most sundays as a result - if thats not dedication to my industry i dunno what is..

LOl im not offended Jac and im sorry youve seen some rubbish.. but i am trying but i cant teach everywhere.. i need help.. lol

Morning Geeks,

This thread has been so useful as I am just starting out and have been trying to decide where to go for my training...I want this first move to be the best one and I honestly dont know which course is best!!
Anyone help me name a couple good training schools?
Saddlesore xxx:eek:

Hi everyone
I've read all your posts with interest. I'm not qualified at all and was going to go to Truro College to do an NVQ level 2 in nail services. To then move on and do level 3. Having read many posts and threads on the subject of courses I have to say CND is becoming more appealing by the day. I'm worried though as someone who has never done anything to do with nails at all what is the correct route to go. I was thinking NVQ level 2 and 3 then look at CND. Does this sound sensible? Or could I just go to CND and do their courses?

Hi everyone
I've read all your posts with interest. I'm not qualified at all and was going to go to Truro College to do an NVQ level 2 in nail services. To then move on and do level 3. Having read many posts and threads on the subject of courses I have to say CND is becoming more appealing by the day. I'm worried though as someone who has never done anything to do with nails at all what is the correct route to go. I was thinking NVQ level 2 and 3 then look at CND. Does this sound sensible? Or could I just go to CND and do their courses?

You could go straight to CND. The NVQ is a minimum qualification and the CND course will give you that and more. An nvq is not required where you live.

Well, I understand the basics , have taken a 2 day course in manicure and the use of uv cured acrylics. This included manicure and also contra indications and the understannding of the natural nail. I am very particular, especially with my filing after curing but I do feel that maybe, the uv cured acrylics are not the way forward. I have been looking at the bio gel. soak off in 15? It's a mine field for a totally totally new person that really wants to do it right but do not know where to go from here.....HELP please

There are so many threads on here that question the content of the writers courses. Students don't feel equipped to provide services for paying clients.

As a very basic requirement, those taking a course in artificial nails must cover:
-understanding of the natural nail (if a manicure qualification is not already achieved)
-anatomy and physiology of the nail unit
-basic chemical processes of the system being studied (1 system only)
-contra indications and contra actions
-tip application
-overlay application (1 system only)
-natural nail overlays
-sculptured nails
-maintenance (infills and rebalances)
-removal

This should all be a mixture of theoretical and practical learning. The practical skills should NEVER be taught theoretically.

Before taking on paying clients the student MUST work with an absolute minimum of 10 'clients' over a period of time.

I have written 2 text books and am the 'nail expert' for Habia. I am not affiliated with any brand. If any one has taken a course that does not include these basics then it is NOT a good enough course. I am happy to discuss this basic requirement with any trainer or Company.

I welcome any comments and suggestions!

So many newcomers to this industry are confused and at a loss to what is right!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i did my training with the carlton institute and i new nothing about nails but something told me that there was no where near enough information given to me and a 2 day course in gel and acrylic and fibre glass wat a waste of time im retraining and doing it properly this time this list would of been so useful to me when i was first starting out! i still consider myself a newbie and any other info would be great!! :D xx

Latest posts

Back