Basic artificial nail course requirements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee i would be cross too if i hadnt been taught how to maintain / remove!! That i think is key to doing nails surely, just as important as applying. Incorrect removal can ruin nails (make them very thin also).

With maintaining i think once youve been taught, its pretty easy to do this (more complex is the process of applying nails from the beginning) this is my opinion - but you definitely need too learn these things before openign your own business for sure.

I would put a complaint in about the course, not sure what good it will do but.... and I would read also the course description you did and check to see whether these things should have been covered? Best of luck

There are so many threads on here that question the content of the writers courses. Students don't feel equipped to provide services for paying clients.

As a very basic requirement, those taking a course in artificial nails must cover:
-understanding of the natural nail (if a manicure qualification is not already achieved)
-anatomy and physiology of the nail unit
-basic chemical processes of the system being studied (1 system only)
-contra indications and contra actions
-tip application
-overlay application (1 system only)
-natural nail overlays
-sculptured nails
-maintenance (infills and rebalances)
-removal

This should all be a mixture of theoretical and practical learning. The practical skills should NEVER be taught theoretically.

Before taking on paying clients the student MUST work with an absolute minimum of 10 'clients' over a period of time.

I have written 2 text books and am the 'nail expert' for Habia. I am not affiliated with any brand. If any one has taken a course that does not include these basics then it is NOT a good enough course. I am happy to discuss this basic requirement with any trainer or Company.

I welcome any comments and suggestions!

So many newcomers to this industry are confused and at a loss to what is right!!

Hi

I have NVQ level 2 beauty which includes standard man/ped, oil and paraffin wax treatments. I was thinking about doing a CIBTAC course in nail technician. Would this be a good course?

hi all, I really wish I would of read this before attending.... well I couldn't even call it a course! I feel like I've been cheated out of a nice lump of cash that I didn't have and may not ever have again! I had checked the place out and were recognised by the guild so I thought must be a good one (stupid me) I attended the 'course' after a nice 3 hour drive and was super excited. I'm not a complete novice at nails so had a bit of an understanding on the basics but one lady who was there did not know one thing, so I thought bless (like you do) ill pair up with her to give her a hand. well to cut a long story short she couldn't grasp it the trainer was fed up of telling her, every nail she put on me popped off within minutes even with ez flow gel on and because she couldn't grasp it all she did was practice on me so I only got to do 2 extensions and 1 overlay!!! so Im now going round with one hand of extensions that I've done for practice and a wallet that is empty and all for the sake of a certificate that any tom **** and harry could obtain with out any effort at all.
sorry for the rant but I'm so cross now I've had time to think of it all and think these courses should be stopped let alone be insurance worthy!
(sorry also if I sound a bit above my station but im a sad and cross little bunny lol)
xxx

I trained on a Saturday course for 6 weeks on nsi gel many years ago, I missed my last two classes but I kept practising at home and purchased dvds books etc.
When I got to beauty therapy a few years later and started to learn the anatomy of the nail and manicure I was suprised as I thought I would know all about this module but I knew nothing!
Due to berievment I left my beauty course after six months!!! so no cretificate again....
Im now about to do a nailzone 2day beginners acrylic course to gain a basic cert for insurance purposes mainly but I think if I was new to the trade a 2day course is not enough to start working as a nail technician?!!!

Hi Lady's,

Just an advice, don't look too much about a great brand, look about a great nailstyliste first.
My students learn in 3days how to work with gel, or acrylic, or any other techniek...it's short, but I'm staying looking about their every moove with brush...etc.
They have to do a perfect job within 3days, en then, train a minimum of 60 hands.
When you're coming back home with a bad work, it won't be easy to correct the defects:rolleyes:

In Canada they use just glue. For the record since everyone seems to be CND this and CND that, CND doesn't really have a presence in Canada except for polishes and Shellac that we have seen ,so I'm sorry if we are not familiar with how great it is.

It's time for research then ...... CND would have to be one of the most respected nail products in the world, along with internationally recognised R&D.
How anyone can almost dismiss Creative is beyond me.

PS: I don't use it, but i'd never be foolish enough to ignore it, or what it stands for in our industry ....... a market leader.

Thanks for the info. can anyone tell me if the course run by the carlton institute level 2 nvq would get me going as a mobile technician please? i am thinking of booking but am very wary due to the cost. thanks for your help in advance.

Hi, Ive recently been looking into nail services as a career choice. Ill be waiting till late next year till I start anything as my son starts school then. Ive been doing loads of research online, mainly googling, and I just wanted to get your professional thoughts on home learning courses. I originally looked at Essential Nails, but they dont teach you the physiology side of things. I found another two, one being home learn uk, and the other being stonebridge.uk.com. They both give me a level 2 in nail services, but is this enough? I thought I could do this course, practice on friends and family, and get some works experience in salons, and that would be enough, but after reading this thread Im now not so sure. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

hi just a quick question, did u go ahead with assessors award and are you now running nail courses, just i am thinking of doing it myself not sure where to start??

Hello Marian

I couldn't agree with you more on that.

I am a newbie nail technician and found it difficult. I still believe that we should have had a lot more practise, before being given the diploma. I do know what to do, and all the procedure steps, and my few clients are returning and telling me I am doing ok, but I feel quite unconfortable inside, I would like to do more thatn ok. I just think that comes with time, or maybe should have been taught more in school. I am even scarred to charge them full price although the nails look ok. What do you think?

There are so many threads on here that question the content of the writers courses. Students don't feel equipped to provide services for paying clients.

As a very basic requirement, those taking a course in artificial nails must cover:
-understanding of the natural nail (if a manicure qualification is not already achieved)
-anatomy and physiology of the nail unit
-basic chemical processes of the system being studied (1 system only)
-contra indications and contra actions
-tip application
-overlay application (1 system only)
-natural nail overlays
-sculptured nails
-maintenance (infills and rebalances)
-removal

This should all be a mixture of theoretical and practical learning. The practical skills should NEVER be taught theoretically.

Before taking on paying clients the student MUST work with an absolute minimum of 10 'clients' over a period of time.

I have written 2 text books and am the 'nail expert' for Habia. I am not affiliated with any brand. If any one has taken a course that does not include these basics then it is NOT a good enough course. I am happy to discuss this basic requirement with any trainer or Company.

I welcome any comments and suggestions!

So many newcomers to this industry are confused and at a loss to what is right!!

Hi Aura

It's such a long time since I started this thread! Nothing has changed as there are still the same queries and problems cropping up here!

There are many issues with the whole training 'thing'. Firstly, is enough taught thoroughly during the course (and not just via handouts that students are expected to read and understand!) and are all of the essential knowledge elements continually reinforced and put into context during the practical training. Then, is the understanding of every element checked and tested.

Then there is the whole length of practical teaching and supervision issue! I understand what you mean by 'knowing what to do but not being comfortable'. I think a lot of beginners 'know' what to do (it is there in a step by step format) but turning that knowledge (not necessarily understanding) into the ability to create lovely and effective nails is a whole different matter!

It takes many, many full sets with a lot under supervision so mistakes and ways to improve can be commented on before a beginner is ready. Does this happen?

I think the answer to my questions is, in most cases, NO.

I'm sorry you don't feel comfortable and you are exactly right in the reason for this. Diplomas and all other awards are so often given out long before they should be. I have just posted on a thread where a person has completed an ITEC course in mani and pedi and hasn't been taught how to apply a french manicure or what should be on a client record card! That is not a good course! Like you they have an 'award' to say they are qualified.

Rant over! It's good that you recognise the situation and this will make sure you can rectify it unlike so many who don't bother or who, wrongly, think they know it all already!

I have just read all of these posts and would like to ask a question as it did not seem clear on the CND website, can you apply to do their Foundation course if you have no experience of nails, as I would like to train with the best, which I feel CND are, or do I have to train somewhere else to get a basic level of knowledge before CND will "let me in" so to speak?

Yes you can do all your training from scratch with CND with no prior learning.

Last edited:
Sorry I meant nope you don't need prior training lol.

The problem is, when starting out, peeps don't know what is good and what is bad and they generally find their way here after a bad experience. I have just googled 'nail extension training'. CND did not come up, nor did any of the other big names. Maybe something could be done about this, as I'm sure many aspiring techs start at Google.

Defiantly agree with this, I am trying to re-train and having terrible problems trying to find a trusted trying to find someone I can trust.:confused:

Thanks everyone who has posted from my original question - its been a big help and more. I have been talking to an at home training company and everything I have thrown back at them they have confirmed they include in their training - they too say a 1-4 day course is not enough to become a true professional!!! i just wish that some of these companies like bio and CND didnt make themselves so unobtainable with what they charge for a beginners course as I feel because of my finances I have to train once to gain experience and then again to be able to trade in the products I really really want to use - catch 22!!!!!!

xxxx

Totally agree!:)

I don't understand how anyone can believe that a one week course will teach them all they need to know and will be able to create great nails!!

If this is the case then why do the top companies like CND and NSI etc only offer 4/5 day courses? I don't expect by doing this course that I'm going to become the Picasso of nail industry straight away!!! Lol.

But seriously surely if it was a case of not enough info or time to learn all this stuff and a person whos completed the course isnt adequate enough to do nails then surely top companies like these wouldn't hand out the certificates upon completion Im not an expert I'm just saying it from the point of view of a potential student?

If this is the case then why do the top companies like CND and NSI etc only offer 4/5 day courses? I don't expect by doing this course that I'm going to become the Picasso of nail industry straight away!!! Lol.

But seriously surely if it was a case of not enough info or time to learn all this stuff and a person whos completed the course isnt adequate enough to do nails then surely top companies like these wouldn't hand out the certificates upon completion Im not an expert I'm just saying it from the point of view of a potential student?

CND has been trusted and loved by succesful nail technicians for more than 30 years .. longer than any other nail company . education is the 'culture' at CND and not just a programme.
CND do not only offer 5 day courses and they take their technicians all the way to the top of thier profession.

The 5 day introductory course is just that, a Foundation on which to build as you go along. And the road is a long one. Mot companies that are not serious about education stop after the initial training and have no more to offer you.

Excitingly, CND are rolloing out an amazing new nail course and it will be in 'the news' very soon. It is for really serious people who want to become nail technicians and will be quite revolutionary. :green: As usual with CND, an innovative and very bold move so if interested ring to find out more. 08452106060

CND has been trusted and loved by succesful nail technicians for more than 30 years .. longer than any other nail company . education is the 'culture' at CND and not just a programme.
CND do not only offer 5 day courses and they take their technicians all the way to the top of thier profession.

The 5 day introductory course is just that, a Foundation on which to build as you go along. And the road is a long one. Mot companies that are not serious about education stop after the initial training and have no more to offer you.

Excitingly, CND are rolloing out an amazing new nail course and it will be in 'the news' very soon. It is for really serious people who want to become nail technicians and will be quite revolutionary. :green: As usual with CND, an innovative and very bold move so if interested ring to find out more. 08452106060

I know i spoke to Sweet squared this morning!!! waiting anxiously for the new catalogue!!

thanks for clearing that up, i wasnt meaning to down grade CND (which is impossible anyway) i mean i know you would need on going learning throught out this it's just a case of explaining it for people who are looking into doing nails as a profession and why they should spend the extra money for the courses.

Before I found this site i'd found a company based near me that claims to teach people 2 systems just on a 1 day course claiming that bigger companies just want as much money as they can get and that you get certificates for insurance etc. But after reading all the wonderful advice and info on here I know that in order to succeed and do the best of your ability for a service people will be paying for, you need to learn from the best in order to do things properly and have that on going support.

I wish I had the funds to do this now, but it will be a case of paying my deposit and doing it that way, I was born in the generation that wants everything now, thats my problem!! :lol:

I know i spoke to Sweet squared this morning!!! waiting anxiously for the new catalogue!!

thanks for clearing that up, i wasnt meaning to down grade CND (which is impossible anyway) i mean i know you would need on going learning throught out this it's just a case of explaining it for people who are looking into doing nails as a profession and why they should spend the extra money for the courses.

Before I found this site i'd found a company based near me that claims to teach people 2 systems just on a 1 day course claiming that bigger companies just want as much money as they can get and that you get certificates for insurance etc. But after reading all the wonderful advice and info on here I know that in order to succeed and do the best of your ability for a service people will be paying for, you need to learn from the best in order to do things properly and have that on going support.

I wish I had the funds to do this now, but it will be a case of paying my deposit and doing it that way, I was born in the generation that wants everything now, thats my problem!! :lol:

I know about wanting everything now!! lol But not always the best way.

Act in haste, repent at leisure

Shortcuts make long delays

The best things come to those who wait

Don't push the river

Patience is a virtue

Cheap can be very dear

You get what you pay for

The best is worth waithng for

These are just some of many similar phrases from generations gone by .... many could learn from them.

Latest posts

Back