BBC3 Skin Deep:The business of beauty - has anyone seen it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlawlessBeauty

Reaction score
As the title says, there is a beauty programme on BBC3 on Mondays at 8:30 called "Skin Deep: The business of beauty". Has anybody seen it and what do you think?

Basically there are 5 half hour programmes that show 2 beauty or hair type treatments that have gone really wrong and they have focused on why.

Sounds bad for our profession.

However, they then put the focus on the importance of going to a reputable salon that has recommendations, qualifications and insurance. Then they take them to someone that knows what they are doing to try and fix them up.

You can catch up on the BBC iplayer.

Episode 1: Hair extensions & Dermal piercing
Episode 2: Lash extensions & Semi-permanant make-up
Episode 3: DIY acid peel & DIY hair dye
Episode 4: Lip fillers and tattoos
Episode 5: Hot stone massage & Acrylic nails

Opinions?

ive watched a couple im not that worried as it just shows what happens when you go to doggy salons and order stuff on the internt ,on the whole its balanced and dose give go tips to find quailfed people , what questions to ask the diy filler one made my toes crul but really if you by fillers off the internet and inject it yourself what do you expect :eek:

maybe finally we can show people what damge these doggy cheap nail places do and why we " change so much " :rolleyes:

I think it's pretty good that they show the importance of asking some questions and going to someone who is actually qualified.

Uggh those at home things...what on earth do people think they are doing? The lip fillers and the acid peel really made me cringe. I'd never do it on myself, but how scary that you could order something, but a completely differenct product might be in the packaging! This is why i tell people never to purchase their products on eBay xx

I'm really glad that they've made this programme and am looking forward to seeing episode 5 soon.

I think the show is a great way of raising awareness to the public. I think people need to know what to ask and that it's ok to ask it. That is to say that to ask about the therapists qualifications (any maybe even proof of these) before having a treatment is a reasonable thing to ask.

It does frustrate me that there are cowboys working in the industry and doing damage to clients health when there are trained people like myself who are struggling to find work.

The industry definately needs to be regulated.

I guess sadly, there will always be people who try to pierce their own ears and do their own waxing but hopefully, Skin Deep will also raise the awareness in people that qualified professionals exist for a good reason!

Completely agree the industry definitely needs to be regulated. I've said that from day dot. I seriously considered writing to habia after the last show.

I think the programme is telling people how many cowboys there are. But then I could say the same about my doctor - shes awful!

I'm looking forward to episode 5. I hope plenty of ladies who have or consider using these walk in nail salons will see how dangerous and unregulated these salons are. Perhaps I won't have to get on my soap box do often then!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Watching the programme the now about using acrylic nail drills and one girl who got really bad infection on her nail!x

Watching it now... It's not the most balanced show I've seen...

Watching now oh dear :(

Bit sensationalised. But OWWW!!!

Well - that looked very NSS-like what with that horrible electric file damage!

As for those second-degree burns from excessively hot stones - ouch!!!

I watched tonight and was appalled. The nail damage was really bad but it was the presenter saying that having acrylic nails long term will damage your nails.
Also did anyone see when she had her toe nails painted at the end? The first bit they showed when the white nail polish went on, the polish was all over her cuticle.
Some of the so-called 'experts' on that show are uneducated as well.
No wonder the industry gets a bad name!

The thing that got me was that her infected nail was caused by the E File but they just kept going on about it thinning down her natural nail, and did not mention anything about sanitising or disinfecting the bits of the File.
They did say a reputable Salon will disinfect tools and showed a small barbicide glass with half submerged tools, but nothing to do with an E File.

I did think there was some balance and they did tell you what to look for in a good salon, obviously it had not put the presenter off as she had 2 different sets of acrylic enhancements on during the programme.

Even though they had someone who trains people in the use of E Files it still would put you off ever going to a salon that uses them, even though as much damage can actually be done with a hand file in the wrong hands.

I was left with bad damage to my nail bed by an over enthusiastic hand file, also the hot stone thing, they used a restaurant hot plate! The guy said it looked like one but how was he to know there was no temperature control? They just jumped to that conclusion when the salon stated that theirs had a temp gauge! Very one sided :-(

where was the nail bar Laura went to? I remember it was called American Nails but cant remember where. Just wondering if they are still in business. Hopefully not with staff untrained.

Omg can't believe that guy lay on those stones for so long I know he didn't know what to expect from this treatment but he was burnt to a cinder, then he said the therapist massaged his back ouch...then he took a free trip back to the
place:eek:

Omg can't believe that guy lay on those stones for so long I know he didn't know what to expect from this treatment but he was burnt to a cinder, then he said the therapist massaged his back ouch...then he took a free trip back to the
place:eek:

Going back was the part that shocked me the most! I know the crappy therapist had left but would you really go back? They had no first aid & made him walk through reception in his pants the first time! Lol ;)

I know what an eejit I mean leaving with first degree burns then happily going back:eek: we'll I just hope they have hired qualified therapists for his sake

Did anyone watch the BBC 3 skin deep programme about nails and the drill that was used?
This story is worrying and becoming more common :(
My in laws have both suffered with pain having fake nails.
Why do these people suffer, it makes me so mad!
What are other peoples thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a couples other threads about the program if you give it a search.
But it made me mad! I think it was very one sided and should of gave more accurate info on The matter...
When she said acrylic nails damage the natural nail It really irritated me lol!
They should of said that their is excellent nail techs out there and to be wary of these cheap nss! X

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back