Beautician = Bimbo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think people are very quick to judge and give someone a stereotype i.e "Bimbo". I think if you want to be a succesful beauty therapist then you have to be intelligent, and also ambitious. I say ignore the people who try and put you down and let them get back to their boring office jobs :)

nwtan,
think its a Himbo! but am sure that doesn't apply to you - even if u are blonde! LOL

Thx ellie, at least I'm prepared now! Have been called much worse i must admit!! lol

It certainly doesn't help with movies and tv-shows portraying beauticians as high-school drop-outs and ditzy.

I'm a former officer administrator and Exec Assistant to a VP. Because it was a small company in 'staff size', I did just about everything. I also was Branch Administrator for a Stock Brokerage firm of 53 stock brokers & worked as back-up to Institutional Trading on the stock-exchange............

I've had people sneer at me, look down there noses at me and make snide comments.
I simply smile sweetly and start discussing acrylates, monomers and polymers, eponychiums, and every other long word I can find in either Doug's or Marian's books. I then continue on how satisfying it is to know that I'm responsible for every aspect of my business from stock inventory, to marketing, advertising,website maintenance, graphic design of my logo etc, accounting, and client relations IN ADDITION TO being a "Nail Stylist".
"Oh no, I'm not just a manicurist...."

99% of the time, they realize their blunder and become embarassed.... then they realize just how much I've said and learn that appearances are quite deceiving.

The other 1% of the time, they're too stupid to have understood a word I've said and the implications of it... so they zone out and change subjects :lol:

This industry is like many others. You dont need brains to get into it, but you need them to be successful at it.

People will always have an opinion about what you do, they love to fit people into 'types' and 'boxes'. Just dont worry about it, time spent worrying about what they think is time spent away from your business.

Am highly disappointed with even some of the comments on here! Just because you look like the typical 'bimbo' doesn't mean you're not clever :(

I can't count the amount of people who've said to me "oh so you're not stupid then... sorry I just assumed" when I tell them i've got A Levels in History, Law and Psychology..

I quite like it however, it's nice to surprise people when they don't expect a lot of you..

Cheers all who gave their views on this, some people may see us as bimbos but every1 on here knows alot different :green:

::twirls Blonde Hair & Smiles::..................I have a fully booked 2 weeks,,,,,,,,,,,who cares how people see me. MY clients love what I do and re-book!! :)

For a start I was always taught at college that to be callled a beautician is an insult for any beauty therapist as anyone can be a beautician but not everyone can be a beauty therapist; a beautician is someone who works on the counter at boots giving advice to people on skincare whilst these people STILL have their make-up on, whereas a beauty therapist has to train for at least 2 years to obtain a reputable job

The people who think beauty therapists are 'bimbos' are ignorant and not worth the time of day; as for the young teens who believe this is easier than working in a bank they probably wouldnt even successfully pass a level 1 intro course, and those that do pass a beauty course (because lets face it some of them do!) are highly unlikely to hold down a job because they simply dont have the passion, drive and skill for it

We will ALWAYS have a bad rep for being bimbo's, and will ALWAYS be tarred with the same brush as blondes (which is equally as unfair!). I like to let these ignorant idiots have their say and make snide remarks and then I tell them how many days PAID holiday I get and how much I brought home last year and why I AM the breadwinner of the family! That usually wipes the smirk off their face as their jaw hits the floor!

Dont let it get to you hon it aint worth the energy. see how much I ranted there??!! haha time to get off my soap box

Am highly disappointed with even some of the comments on here! Just because you look like the typical 'bimbo' doesn't mean you're not clever :(

I can't count the amount of people who've said to me "oh so you're not stupid then... sorry I just assumed" when I tell them i've got A Levels in History, Law and Psychology..

I quite like it however, it's nice to surprise people when they don't expect a lot of you..

Totally agree!

I recently had an interview with our daughter's teacher at her new school. as far as she was aware, I was a trainee nail tech and hubby is unemployed.

She spoke down her nose at us from the word go, condescending and arrogant and generally not very nice about our daughter struggling to get to grips with her new class struscture ( she has never had a lot of attention at school coming from 1 teacher and 1 assistant with 38 children, now having 1 teacher and 3 assistants to 16 children )

I tried to nicely remind teacher of this and let her know that once Holly is settled, she will pick up - her reply was well , there are those children in here who are exceptionally academic and then there are the "others". How is Holly going to catch up before year 6 ( she is only in year bloomin 3! ) she should be aspiriing now to be more than a hairdresser or something!!!

I then lost my rag! Politely but firmly reminded the teacher that my husband is NOT unemployed - he retired at 46 having spent his life owning businesses and he is a fully qwualified mechanic, auto electrician and is educated to the level of an engineeer in his trade. I may appear to be a hopeless bimbo just because I CHOOSE to traint o be a nail tech, but that makes me far from thick. Aside from my GCSE's, further education in psychology, sociology and deep studies of forensic science, I also know now about anatomy, biology, chemistry and much more thanks to my training :)

Bit of a off topic rant there but my blood is still boiling!

I just want to say - go you!!

Beauty therapy is a career choice for less academic individuals due to the low entry requirements and practical aspect of the job. Some people find it easy and some people find it hard. I went into beauty therapy because of my keen interest but I also thought it would be easy, and in my opinion I was right.

Yes there may be a bit of a work load but it is not difficult to understand nor carry out the treatments after good training. I don't mean to offend anyone but it's not rocket science.

I think you are alluding in your first sentence, albeit unwittingly, to the fact that there are many types of intelligence (read Howard Gardner, 7 Types of Intelligence).
While I might find it easier than David Beckham to write an essay I have the feeling he might be vastly superior when it comes to spatial ability! It doesn't mean he's less intelligent than I am.
I went from an academic career to beauty therapy and I believe that it is challenging in many ways, not least of all emotional intelligence. I hope one day to be as good as some therapists I know who combine practical skills, subject knowledge,business acumen and terrific people skills.
By the way, when people ask me what I do I feel really proud to say "Beauty Therapist" It's true, though, that if I tell them I used to be a Headteacher their expressions can be priceless!:rolleyes:

I then lost my rag! Politely but firmly reminded the teacher that my husband is NOT unemployed - he retired at 46 having spent his life owning businesses and he is a fully qwualified mechanic, auto electrician and is educated to the level of an engineeer in his trade. I may appear to be a hopeless bimbo just because I CHOOSE to traint o be a nail tech, but that makes me far from thick. Aside from my GCSE's, further education in psychology, sociology and deep studies of forensic science, I also know now about anatomy, biology, chemistry and much more thanks to my training :)

Nice one! I wish I was there to see the look on her face :)

I hate it when people assume I decided to do beauty therapy because I missed out on my GCSEs. I always wanted to do beauty, my teachers wouldn't let me because I was in the top sets - they said I was "too clever" for it. Yet most of the people they put forward for it either dropped out or just didn't bother turning up.

Lots of girls drop out of college because they simply can't do it.

Well I am glad that I did beauty therapy, I just wish I could find a job in a bleedin salon!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! lol :)

I once had a client who was a teacher tell me that people are "nothing without a degree".
I bent down and whispered in her ear " I don't have a degree, but I earn a hell of a lot more than you do", and carried on cutting her hair.

I once had a client who was a teacher tell me that people are "nothing without a degree".
I bent down and whispered in her ear " I don't have a degree, but I earn a hell of a lot more than you do", and carried on cutting her hair.

love it! :lol::lol:

I couldn't give a hoot what people think of me. Honestly!!! Even though I am blonde and say some damn stupid things at times.

But what I have found is - those with degrees (and all the other bits of paper that lands you jobs easier than those who haven't) they are NOT happy - most of the jobs are boring and lots of people come out wondering what they have just spent the last few years doing. All my friends who went on to do the high paid jobs - lawyers, forensics teachers etc all wish they had done what I am doing - but the pay put them off - and then realised - thats it not all about the money - its about being happy doing what you love. (I even got my teacher friend started in her own biz -party face painting - and she prefers to do that)

Life is for living - not stuck in the rat race - call me a bimbo - I really don't care haha.

I'm a make up artist at a photography studio. I am fully qualified in make up artistry/hair styling. A client came in and asked how long I'd been a beautician for, even if it did say she would have the services of a professional make up artist, on her voucher! She then asked how much I was on (money) - I quickly replied that I didn't think that was any of her business! I was absolutely raging!
Another factor for me is that I am always told I look about 19 and people can be a bit wary of this. I have had some clients once they have been in about half an hour, that they thought I was younger and they were a bit weary of this at first. I am 28 lol! Even if I was 19 I could still be fully qualified! People are s ignorant. I just laugh at how stupid these people can be!xx

well done!! Brilliant!!xx

Latest posts

Back