Best horror movie of all time

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexi

Reaction score
OH MY GOSH - has anyone watched the strangers? Its on sky premier this week!

I have this fear of horror movies yet always end up watching them...

This one scared me a far old bit...and got me thinking what is the best horror movie of all time.

I'm a huge fan of the Saw movies to be honest....:eek:

Becki xxx

My favourite horror film of all time is Paperhouse, a relatively obscure British horror film from 1988.

Never heard of it...am off to imdb.com to investigate!

b xxx

I'm not really a fan of modern horror movies as they tend to be too explicit, which always tends to look a bit naff & staged. I find a lot of the older horrors, which leave more to the imagination, are far more frightening. I personally found the Saw films predictable & a bit dull, I ended up sewing buttons on trousers just to ease the boredom! The Saw ride at Thorpe Park is another matter though!

Never heard of it...am off to imdb.com to investigate!

b xxx

Cool! I like that film a lot; it's a very intense film, there's a lot more to it than just horror, and the soundtrack has got some exquisite moments in it.

The soundtrack is by Hans Zimmer, Stanley Myers, and Gabriel Faure (the "Sanctus" from Faure's Requiem)...

you should write a description on imdb, because no one has really!

I haven't watched many older horrors, only psycho and the birds!

I'm going to try and watch some if you say they are better!

I enjoyed the complex story/traps of the first three saws - could never happen but that doesn't really bother me if I am honest!

I love scream too!

Becki xxx

my random one is called Kolobos but i saw last house on left remake and thought it was great

I saw the trailer for Last House on the Left looked good, but then I read about the original and that looks AMAZING!

B xxx

the only problem i had with it was that the main baddie played a terminator in the sarah connor chronicles
kept making me chuckle

you should write a description on imdb, because no one has really!

I haven't watched many older horrors, only psycho and the birds!

I'm going to try and watch some if you say they are better!

I enjoyed the complex story/traps of the first three saws - could never happen but that doesn't really bother me if I am honest!

I love scream too!

Becki xxx

Ah, I better had then! Paperhouse definitely works on a very "psychological" level rather than having a lot of "explicit" horror in it - it's more about the feelings and what you don't see rather than what you do...

It's almost a cross between a horror film and a love story in a lot of ways... and then there's the contrast between the "real" world and the "dream" world... especially as the film progresses!

Yer I guess it depends what you want out of a film - I enjoy being scared (I think!)

The mind aspect of films is why i can't sleep after a film, however saying that I can't remember a really good one...many terrible ones though!

B xxx

Ohhh I do enjoy urban legand...but thats only because its on fiver tonight!

B xxx

The strangers I thought was not good!! I love horrors!! I actually prefer alot of Japenese horror films that we have remade (the grudge, the ring... the original's are the best :) )
I think the scariest one for me has to be birds but then I have a phobia of birds!!
The Shining is one of the best I've watched :green:

Ah, I better had then! Paperhouse definitely works on a very "psychological" level rather than having a lot of "explicit" horror in it - it's more about the feelings and what you don't see rather than what you do...

It's almost a cross between a horror film and a love story in a lot of ways... and then there's the contrast between the "real" world and the "dream" world... especially as the film progresses!
And that my friend you have nailes right on the head...it is the feelings and what you do not see,but can imagine is the true horror.

I think Alfred Hitchcock was a master at direction,and in the film "pschyco" he deliberately made it in black and white even though colour had been introduced....when the famous shower scene is on,you do not see any colour...but you can imagine the rest:idea:

I think the film that i can not watch alone is "The omen"...the occult and witchcraft fascinate me also however in this film,because it is closely relates to the bible i would think that it could actually occur...it still frightens me intensely....and that is horror...not a slasher film of pure nonsense,which only makes me laugh:eek:

Another horror i absolutely "adore" if that is the word is "The medusa touch"...again this is all done in the mind.Richard Burton is a man that can cause disaster by thinking it and Lee Remick is the pscychiatrist who disbelieves at first,but by probing Richard Burton finally believes and becomes a victim...Even after bashing his skull to a pulp he still survives....and his mind still works even though his body can not....truly terrifying.:!:

I don't like horror films :( Well - I don't mind blood and gore but the psychological horrors absoultely terrify me! I can't even watch the adverts for them haha

Worst thing is I forced myself to watch a scary flilm last week - don't even know what it was called - hubby was in bed and when I turned everything off to go to bed, got as far as the hall and heard "Hello, ooooohhh" really quietly. I totally and utterly cacked myself - heard it again and froze in the hall - then heard it again followed by a jingly bell and remembered that we are safehousing an Orange winged amazon parrot who can talk when she wants! She scared the bejeesus out of me hahaha

I agree with Ruth films that are subliminal are the most scary. The films that I have found most scary, though not really a fan of horror

• The Woman In Black
  • The Changeling (not the Angelina Jolie film not see it yet - a 1980 ghost story The Changeling (1980))
  • The Prince of Darkness
  • Event Horizon
Also find the Alien films scary and brilliant though they are categorised as science fiction/horror.

anne xx

oh yeah the the original The Innocents with Deborah Kerr

Last edited:
The original japenese version of "the grudge" that film actualy scared me for weeks afterwards!!!! Also "the excorsist" is pretty freaky espacialy for an old film I bet it was terrifying when it first came out!!!!xxxx

I love Horror but TBH they are all full of sex nowadays. Give me the old films anyday. The Shining scared me and I work in a hotel that looks just like it inside. I am always disappointed by so-called horror films. I had a nightmare last night that when I woke up I couldnt stop thinking about. I think if we could put our nightmares on film then we would have true horrors.

My fave horrors are Wrong Turn, The Shining, When a Stranger calls (the original, not the weak remake) and the Alien films

Just to add, if you are a film fan, check out the social groups as there is a film club. PM me or Izzidoll if you cant find it. x

I like Reeker, (2005 I think), has Eric Mabius from Ugly Betty in it, group of young adults trapped in an eerie desert location when the car breaks down and something that "reeks" kills them off one by one, great twist at the end tho, and The Brood, 1979 with Samantha Eggar, Oliver Reed and Art Hindle.

My daughter likes Rob Zombie movies, House of a 1000 Corpses etc, which I thought was silly lol

Latest posts

Back