Big dogs - yay or nay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always say I don't like 'big, hairy dogs' lol, that's not to say I don't like them, I do, but wouldn't have one personally as I prefer smaller dogs. My. Mum has a jack Russell/Patterdale cross and she's adorable, a bit bonkers and jumps about but so well natured and never snappy like some little dogs are. Loads of character :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361919936.333304.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361919936.333304.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 96
I love all dogs and animals ,i have no fear although I probably should have ,i can read most animals well ,always talking to dogs out side the shops can't help my self ,if im honest I like animals more than people thay are much more reliable :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I love all dogs. My mum dislikes ours partially on size and partially because she barks at people when they first come in the house.

As for who would want a dog that jumps up on them? ME! I love when mine jumps up and gives me a hug :lol: she properly snuggles right in. It is only us she jumps up on though :)

Love big dogs as you all know lol.I've got a bullmastiff he's hugs but a big softy lol.

I've been attacked badly twice throughout my life by dogs once when I was barely crawling and my mum and dads English bullterrier dragged me around the house bit my finger off and ripped my scald of and broke my arm he would not let go of me and he did it in front of my mum and dad it wasn't like they left me on my own with him.The other time was in July last year I had my face savaged by a French mastiff she literally jumped up on her back legs a bitty face and nearly took my eye out and bit the end of my nose off I was in upright standing position didn't even stroke her.

The two situation happened because we found out that the English bullterrier had a neurological problem which is a common issue that they can have where they just go crazy out of the blue.The French mastiff had just had puppies and was being dragged around away from her pups on a camping site and she was clearly distressed with it all and when I was talking to her owner she had I think had enough.

These two incidences have not put me off dogs I took me a while to feel comfortable with my boy after julys incident but I'm cool with him now.I'm wary of other peoples dogs still but that's because its still raw for me but I'm working hard to get over that.

Big dogs can look scary people cross the street when I walk Gary but they don't know your dog like you do and I understand that.It does make me laugh that people think big dogs are vicious but think little dogs are cute but they have probably got more chance of being bitten by a lil dog lol xx

Omg how traumatic! Good on you for being a dog owner after your experience; I love dogs and only have room for my likkle cavalier King Charles spaniel lol! She's an old lady now bless her, 13. I would love to have a big dog when I have a bigger garden and when my baby is older.

My dogs well my sister dogs lol

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361924258.142325.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361924258.142325.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 71
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361924266.006420.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361924266.006420.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 70
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361924272.423006.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361924272.423006.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 72
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361924280.590931.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361924280.590931.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 74
I used to be scared of dogs! But I think thats just because I'd never really been around them so can understand why others might be wary. also my friend had a nasty dog when i was a teen!!
Now, my boyfriend has these 3 and I love them to bits!
Kai, glen and boots :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361924718.677866.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361924718.677866.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 83
The bigger the better! We got a beautiful liver coloured American boxer..10 years old this July. slightly spacky as she has spotty paws! Boxers should have pure white...but she came from a very high grade pedigree set of competition winning parents!

That's my baby on the sofa in our conservatory, just like a human!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361924944.529944.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361924944.529944.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 98
I love both! My first dog was big he was cross breed but not sure of what lol and then a border collie and now I've got my baby Millie the Shih Tzu. Wish i could put on a picture she's adorable.

I love a massive cuddle from a big dog but with Millie she's just a perfect wee bundle to sit and watch telly with and i get my share of the couch lol.

Im terrified of dogs like staffies, pitbulls, alsations (sp) but only ones i don't know. Im fine with these dogs if i know them. They just look really angry lol

Vicki :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I've got a westie and he thinks he's a rottweiler lol. But my mum is a dog Walker and sitter (I help sometimes) so we see many breeds. And we look after a long legged staff and very big pitbull (saved by my police friends) and they are so so soppy! Mums looked after a African ridgeback too, he was really nice natured. So I'm 100% for big dogs but my favourite breeds are pugs, French bulldogs, newfoundlands and rottwielers. So abit of a mixed bunch!

I love them! I've had a German Sherpard who was the biggest softy ever! And Alaskan malamute x bull mastiff again she was a softy who just loved cuddles and now I have a staffy he is so loving and brilliant with my young children!
People have said some nasty things about my dogsin the past but most of the time it was there little dogs going for mine!!z

I'm loving seeing all of your lovely doggies!! It's really nice to see animals being loved and cared for :)

My Alaskan malamute x that I was told was evil and should be put down! (She barked because this women's dogs were barking at her)
And my staffy :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361959644.249456.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361959644.249456.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 102
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361959653.821180.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361959653.821180.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 101
I have 2 bulldogs and my mum doesn't like them - she hasn't been to my house in about a year as she can't stand the dog hair, they don't jump up but they obviously want to say hello and she just doesn't like them! But..give her a little Yorkshire terrier or little fluffy thing and she falls in love - I don't get it? Lol

My girls are very well behaved and almost everyone that actually gives them a chance ends up loving them, but it's a shame that some people are scared of them. I have had people cross the road or pull their dogs away from mine, one person actually said 'I thought they were banned' lol

Anyway, here's a pic of my girls, Daisy and Matilda x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361961779.283148.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361961779.283148.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 111
I have 2 bulldogs and my mum doesn't like them - she hasn't been to my house in about a year as she can't stand the dog hair, they don't jump up but they obviously want to say hello and she just doesn't like them! But..give her a little Yorkshire terrier or little fluffy thing and she falls in love - I don't get it? Lol

My girls are very well behaved and almost everyone that actually gives them a chance ends up loving them, but it's a shame that some people are scared of them. I have had people cross the road or pull their dogs away from mine, one person actually said 'I thought they were banned' lol

They're gorgeous!!!

Aw there's a Matilda in my pictures... Except she's the kid xx

I love big dogs. Everyone in my family has Boxers. They are affectionate, protective and family-friendly.

I love big dogs we have a husky pup my friend has a beujon ( not sure how u spell that) and I would not trust it around my son she's always snappily barking and stuff I'm sure she's fine but I don't feel his safe around her although I wouldn't stop coming into her house I just wouldn't leave them alone together, my husky however is so gentle still have to be careful with her around josh as you would with all dogs but I think she's loyal and trustworthy :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361964578.220793.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361964578.220793.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 179
I'm loving seeing all of your lovely doggies!! It's really nice to see animals being loved and cared for :)

Just for you as you like to see them - this is our border collie "Pippy" when she was about 1 1/2 with my daughter :)

Attachments

• PippyBelle.jpg
    PippyBelle.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 95
My boss has a big dog (chinese mastif, I think!!) and she is freakin adorable, I love her. Which is a good thing because she often sleeps in our office.

The only thing I don't like is that she is a hairy monster and pet hair sets off my allergies, if I forget to wash my hands after I pet her. She likes to wait til I've got nice clean black leggings on then comes and rubs past me - cue legs COVERED in dog hair.

Another trick is that she slobbers on my leg after she's eaten tuna and that makes me gag!

I would love a dog at home but our cat is scared of her own tail so I don't think she'd do well with a dog stealing her thunder!

Latest posts

Back