Big dogs - yay or nay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How strange, me and hubby were only saying the other day how sad that our Nephews girlfriend is terrified of our dogs so we never see them. My lads are the sweetest friendliest dogs but they are big and bigger. One weighs 30kg and the other weighs almost 50kg. The smaller one is a Staffie X Border collie but looks like a pretty little black lab and the bigger one is a German Shepherd X Rottweiler. Love them both to bits. I love all dogs but the bigger ones find it much harder to stay in a good home and if they end up in rescue it is often a death sentence. So sad.

Incredibly a survey was recently done and not a single big dog breed made it on to the top 5 dangerous dogs list of biters. The number one culprit for biting was Daschund, Jack Russels were up there too. I have people cross the road when they see me coming along with my two big black dogs.

Here is a pic of my babies, arent they gorgeous?

Attachments

• IMAG0082.jpg
    IMAG0082.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF0057.jpg
    DSCF0057.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF0078.jpg
    DSCF0078.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 95
I just LOVE big doggies. When I buy a house as when renting can't have pets usually. Me and the hubster are going to buy a Black Newfoundland :D my friend used to have one and she loved it! Although they do malt a hell of a lot and dribble everyone all the time lol
My other half loves Alsatians ( sorry I know it's spelt wrong but I don't know the correct spelling ) but I'm not a huge fan I think unless they are well groomed and looked after they can look shabby. I think bigger the better.
My old best friend used to have loads of Akita's which I love those two but they can be very territorial or maybe it was just those as there was a few of them. But I'm all for Newfpundland at the moment lol xx

I must admit I am not a huge fan of big dogs and that is because my mums friend when she was little was nearly killed by a German Shepard and was always over fussy when any dog came near us so I get a little scared, my friend has a huuuuuuuuuge lab and my kids adore him. We have a king Charles so he is small, and he adores everyone!! My girls love him to bits and he fits in lovely without taking up the whole sofa lol!!

Our pooch with my big baby xx
22387_10151144619344051_1593350395_n.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't had time to read all replies! I love a big dog-prefer them to dinky ones (although saying that a have a little - and a medium dog)

When we have more space in a few year I am going to get an obscenely big dog. Thinking Irish wolfhound. I feel safer walking my terrier and springer spaniel because regardless of size if I were in trouble they'd look out for me. However with a wolfhound on my arm if e unstoppable!

A dogs a dog and will behave the way it's been bought up to. No dogs are born bad x

Just for you as you like to see them - this is our border collie "Pippy" when she was about 1 1/2 with my daughter :)

I love the name Pippy. Gorgeous dog. So cute.

I have 2 bulldogs and my mum doesn't like them - she hasn't been to my house in about a year as she can't stand the dog hair, they don't jump up but they obviously want to say hello and she just doesn't like them! But..give her a little Yorkshire terrier or little fluffy thing and she falls in love - I don't get it? Lol

My girls are very well behaved and almost everyone that actually gives them a chance ends up loving them, but it's a shame that some people are scared of them. I have had people cross the road or pull their dogs away from mine, one person actually said 'I thought they were banned' lol

Anyway, here's a pic of my girls, Daisy and Matilda x
oh my god, absolutely gorgeous! i made a loud squealing noise when i saw your pic, my dog actually looked up from his food bowl...truly is the end of days hahaha xxx

I've always preferred bigger dogs & had a beautiful, soppy & loving Boxer Lucy until she sadly left us 2 weeks ago :cry:

Have toyed with the idea of getting another pooch at some point but not sure whether to go for another Boxer or something smaller so my girls can have some responsibility with it

Can't upload a recent photo but this is Lucy when she was about 2

Attachments

• 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 65
lucy was beautiful Bluerose, i'm so sorry for your loss :hug: xxx

We have a golden retriever called duke he is a big boy. Soft as puppy poo. He is scared of brushes, hovers, washing from the machine etc. only 7 months old :)

My mum has a German Shepard called Molly and a lab called Alfie. They are both huge.

My oh sister also has a pit bull x staffie and he is the most gentle loving boy ever. He may look scary and fierce but he would hurt a fly. In fact he gets attacked by other dogs and has never once retaliated. It's not the dogs but the owners.

I love all dogs in general big or small.

image.jpg
This my 70 kilo akita and I love him he's such a big softie! I can't stand. Little yappy dogs x

My dogs only 6 months old was very bad biter but thankfully stopped! Everyone used to tell me I couldn't control her, I was frightened of dogs since a child for no reason just had been around them growing up but got over that fear when my friend had a staffy and 3 boxers I loved them all in the end took over a year tho! Now I've got my own little staffy cross and she is beautiful but such a little sod one thing she does do it was to greet everyone in the street and everyone in the house she loves attention she now sits looking out window like a guard (very cute). Don't know how to sort the jumping up at people tho she does it to everyone and anyone who walks in the door :/ xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361999169.025015.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361999169.025015.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 57
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361999219.161060.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361999219.161060.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 62
Ah all these dogs are lovely , I have always had animals growing up and now I'm looking into getting a dog with my boyfriend , I would like something with minimal shedding as I have recently found with dogs particularly my in laws Hungarian vizsla that the fur irritates my skin , however my fella loves jack Russell's/ patterdales , what are these dogs like for shedding guys ?! Any suggestions ? I'd have a poodle like I always have but my fella is anti girly dog!! X

I've always preferred bigger dogs & had a beautiful, soppy & loving Boxer Lucy until she sadly left us 2 weeks ago :cry:

Have toyed with the idea of getting another pooch at some point but not sure whether to go for another Boxer or something smaller so my girls can have some responsibility with it

Can't upload a recent photo but this is Lucy when she was about 2

How spooky, my SIL had a boxer called Lucy too (she died a few years ago). Sorry for your loss xx

My mum has a jack
Russell/patterdale and she hardly sheds at all if that helps...she's little but definitely a 'proper' dog, if that makes sense...they're tough little things! Lol

My mum has a jack
Russell/patterdale and she hardly sheds at all if that helps...she's little but definitely a 'proper' dog, if that makes sense...they're tough little things! Lol

Ha ha yes think that's why my oh likes them!! Is she rough or smooth coated?

A little bit of both lol, she's got a bit of westie thrown in there too (proper mutt!)...rough enough so she doesn't shed but not too wiry. She's got a lovely nature, not snappy or yappy at at all, apparently that's the patterdale in her...? Good off the lead, not interested much in other dogs, just hates cats :)

A little bit of both lol, she's got a bit of westie thrown in there too (proper mutt!)...rough enough so she doesn't shed but not too wiry. She's got a lovely nature, not snappy or yappy at at all, apparently that's the patterdale in her...? Good off the lead, not interested much in other dogs, just hates cats :)

Oo well that could be a potential :) thankyou !! X

She is adorable, but she has her moments :) they do a funny crawl as well when they want attention, flat on the floor with their legs behind them and sort of dragging themselves along, bonkers ;) pm me if you have any questions! Ps theres a piccie of her on this thread x

She is adorable, but she has her moments :) they do a funny crawl as well when they want attention, flat on the floor with their legs behind them and sort of dragging themselves along, bonkers ;) pm me if you have any questions! Ps theres a piccie of her on this thread x

Ah thankyou well my oh will be pleased !!! X

Latest posts

Back