Big dogs - yay or nay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dog is pretty damn big and he does scare a lot of people (photo attached) being 8 stone and as tall as me when on his hind legs (I'm 5 ft 8"), but he's very well trained and therefore an excellent guard dog.

Admission time ... I'm actually a qualified dog trainer in my spare time and run a weekly training club for the Kennel Club. I don't think I've ever mentioned that on here. We're a very busy and popular club. Tonight I trained 40 dogs and handlers.

My favourite dogs are the ones whose handlers researched their breed and chose a breed that suits their lifestyle. I've seen some amazing small dogs who I would gladly own tomorrow even though I prefer large - giant breeds, but its usually down to the handler going to a good breeder.

The worst dogs in my opinion are working strain collies and gun dogs cooped up in suburban homes or with inactive people - such a shame for all involved :(
what a gorgeous dog! my bad but he reminds me of the old cup a soup advert, where the big furry arms came up and cosied people, a hug in a mug lol xxx

My little boy, I prefer big dogs x
Hate it when people walk half a mile around him! Don't stereotype my rottie!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362174540.257112.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362174540.257112.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 73
I need to stop reading this thread I'm brooding for a dog. Although I have a six month old springer spaniel, a skittish two year old terrier and a10 month old baby to remind me that another dog is the last thing I need!

Were moving to Ireland in a few years and will be farming so will have a working dog hopefully a collie/spaniel X. Any other dogs will have to sleep outside two in the house is enough!

We have friends coming in a few weeks bringing their 4 dogs .

Our next dog will be a re home/ rescue in a few years when my daughters old enough to understand that she has to be very gentle and not to crowd dogs.

I feel very secure in that we have two dogs who are gentle and very protective of our baby but would never leave her in the room alone with them as she might grab and hurt them and they could retaliate in if in pain or frightened.

No dog or breed is born bad-it's down to the owners. I was told Staffies were used by the Victorians and called nanny dogs. a perfect breed to have around small children. Shame some idiots and scumbags have given them a bad name!

Scrappy our Mini Foxie (most sensitive dog in the world and extremely intelligent)

Eileen our English Springer (insane-but beautiful)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362174829.999535.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362174829.999535.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 78
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362174868.977894.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362174868.977894.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 70
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362174949.204789.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362174949.204789.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 74
My dog is pretty damn big and he does scare a lot of people (photo attached) being 8 stone and as tall as me when on his hind legs (I'm 5 ft 8"), but he's very well trained and therefore an excellent guard dog.

:(

gosh, he's massive - what is he?

Hiya we have a patterdale called Boots :) he has short smooth hair and hardly looses any! He is a lovely natured dog but he can be very giddy! I wish we'd been firmer with him from the beginning. He kept running off so we got him snipped to try calm him down. He still doesn't do as he's told a lot of the time but always comes back now.
He was left with my boyfs mum when he was 10months while we went travelling and now he is so spoilt! He lives outside but as soon as he gets chance he's in snuggled up on the sofa!
He's the smallest dog of the three but thinks he rules the roost!
I would recommend one, but would also recommend training sooner rather than later lol xx

Sooo cute, I love their little triangle ears and little muscly bodies! They're little monkeys though, ours is the same and loves snuggling up, once she's asleep that's it, she's asleep for the night (unless she's trying to get closer to you, or putting her head on your pillow... 😊)

I LOVE THEM!! I have an Akita who when I'm walking him people actually cross the road and stare at him in awe. Obviously they find his looks extremely intimidating. I love a dog big and hearty to hug. I personally wouldn't have a small dog, they don't appeal to me but each to their own obviously. I actually find smaller dogs bark constantly at him and wind him up when I'm walking him. Owners excuses normally are ''Oh he's just scared of him.'' - I don't care. You should of socialized him properly. So there's me walking an 8 1/2 stone dog and them walking a smaller dog and 9/10 I'm always the one that's in control of my dog.

OMG he's gorgeous, i'd love an Akita but hubby says no :(

OMG he's gorgeous, i'd love an Akita but hubby says no :(

Well thank you very much! He's my boy!! (My dog not your hubby lol)

Ya my bf's dad has the dad to our husky pup and someone said the husky bit them which they didn't but the pound came out n just said to keep him on a lead which is only fair,but that dog is a fecked for escaping wen being let out to go toilette but it's in the breed huskies can't be let off the lead coz they've no recall correct me if I'm wrong but that's Wat I was told on a husky forum :) I love the phot of little and large lol :/) cx
My mums partner has a Alaskan husky female, she's really bad for escaping. She breaks the fence and gets through and also digs under. But she does go off the lead in a park/field. It's not enough of a walk otherwise. She comes back but they are stubborn, no chance if she's having fun! I find she's harder than most large breeds to be honest.

Ya I'm willing to give it a go when there's no distractions we have a small quiet beach so might try her if the lead there :) xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362251385.727659.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362251385.727659.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 43
Lol, here's my big boy, 45kg of soppy!
i need to stop reading this thread, am falling in love with every single dog, my own boy is getting jealous and fed up lol xxx

Not my dog... But my brothers. Poppy a staffy, she is the most soppy and biggest softie I have ever known. She is great with my children. In the 2nd pic she is sat in my lap :) x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362336363.401256.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362336363.401256.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 22
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362336397.131673.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362336397.131673.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back