Big fish, little pond..? Where do you want to be..?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna Lee

Reaction score
I couldn't figure out if this should be in the main forum or chit-chat, so please feel free to move it if it is in the wrong place.

I was speaking with a friend earlier today and it got me thinking.

In our industry, there are many different companies. Some have been around for years and some are new. Some are very big and some are small. Some concentrate on education and some don't. Some teach you the correct facts and information and some out to mislead ourselves and the general public.

So when we look at ourselves in such a competitive industry, where would we like see ourselves placed?

My question is...

Would you rather be a big fish in a small pond...??
Or a small fish in a big pond...??

And what would your reasons be....?

Which way round do you think will benefit you and what you do...? How do you really feel about being recognised with what you do..? How important is it and how much of a name do you what to acheive within the nail industry...? Given the choice, would you rather be God in a small company... or just small potato in a big company...?

Ideally, I would like to be a big fish in a big pond...!!:lol::lol:
But since that is relatively hard to achieve, then realistically, I would rather be a small fish in a big pond because I think that that pond is big for a reason, the journey of getting into that pond and to become a part of it would be much more important and beneficial to me and more about what I want from this industry. The end result is not as important to me as the journey there.

There is no right or wrong answer, the answer is down to the individual - what they think, what their target is and what they want out of this industry, for themselves and for others.

What are your thoughts..?

Neither. I want to be neither.

In my industry (IT), definitely God in a small company! Otherwise you waste so much time on politics and admin, and having to deal with "too many cooks"!
Posted via Mobile Device

I want to stay the same as i am now......Im happy in my village salon.....If I was younger ive no doubt i would want to be at the top.....

Ive been there & done that....didnt enjoy the stress.....I love my salon and my clients & my life....xx

In my industry (IT), definitely God in a small company! Otherwise you waste so much time on politics and admin, and having to deal with "too many cooks"!
Posted via Mobile Device
I would only add that I think it's pretty much the same for all industries, not to mention the government. :lol:

I've never liked the limelight particularly .. was always content to just do my 'thing' to the best of my ability ... over the years and with a tonne of experience I guess I've ended up a big fish in a big pond but it isn't anything I ever strove to be; nor is it something that I seek to be ... Believe it or not it can be an unwanted mill stone around ones neck at times with everyone expecting everything you do to be perfect etc ... it is pressure one doesn't always need.

I'm by no means perfect, and I don't pretend to be. I can have bad days like everyone else and do crummy looking nails at times like everyone else and when I do screw up I have to do it in front of a huge audience!!! :lol:

I would only add that I think it's pretty much the same for all industries, not to mention the government. :lol:

Oh yes, anything to do with government, and add a mire of paperwork to the equation!
Posted via Mobile Device

I want to stay the same as i am now......Im happy in my village salon.....If I was younger ive no doubt i would want to be at the top.....

Ive been there & done that....didnt enjoy the stress.....I love my salon and my clients & my life....xx

You have answered my question perfectly, it was a question about how you feel about where you are in the industry, what you want from your work, how satisfied you are about being where you are and what are the priorities.

I've never liked the limelight particularly .. was always content to just do my 'thing' to the best of my ability ... over the years and with a tonne of experience I guess I've ended up a big fish in a big pond but it isn't anything I ever strove to be; nor is it something that I seek to be ... Believe it or not it can be an unwanted mill stone around ones neck at times with everyone expecting everything you do to be perfect etc ... it is pressure one doesn't always need.

I'm by no means perfect, and I don't pretend to be. I can have bad days like everyone else and do crummy looking nails at times like everyone else and when I do screw up I have to do it in front of a huge audience!!! :lol:

Gigi, you are indeed the classic example of a big fish in a big pond and many of us idolise you and strive to be where you are today.

The point is though, do we want to be where you are because it proves that we are good and is an achievement for ourselves..? Or do we want to be where you are so we have the skill and knowledge to help others and the industry ( which is what you are doing)...?

You have answered my question perfectly, it was a question about how you feel about where you are in the industry, what you want from your work, how satisfied you are about being where you are and what are the priorities.

As for me, I'm not in this industry to prove anything to anybody.. Rather on the contrary, I'm here because I'm tired of proving things to anybody, incl. me.

Although I admit, that I take some pride if I do a good job. And that I need an 'artistic outlet' and I find it in nailart - however silly and light that may sound. But that's all I can afford at the moment.

So I'm perfectly happy where I am - that is on my own, working from home, using forums like this sometimes )).
I don't have any priorities except doing nice nails that people like.

PS) Yes, and I do it for a living.

hmmm,
I want to be a respected fish...

(yes, I knowthat wasnt the question lol)

I want to get my business going, earn a great name & live comfortably,
I dont, however, want to have to devote far too much time to it, I'd rather enjoy my family & balance it with my happy clients.

So a respectable fish in a reasonable size pond.

(I never could give a straight answer :lol:)

hmmm,
I want to be a respected fish...

So a respectable fish in a reasonable size pond.

Now, this one is interesting.... :lol:

I think to be respected in anything, we have to earn it. And to earn it, we have to become highly skilled in what we do and to have the correct and reasonable amount of knowledge so we have the ability to explain to anyone about what we do.

I think in the nail industry, skill and knowledge should come hand in hand. We should not be lacking in either one or the other.

Recently, I came across a top educator for a smaller company. She was highly skilled with the product she used and can do amazing things with it, so much that she would probably be able to tempt anyone into using her product if you saw her in action. She is highly respected so much that everyone thought she was god within the company.

I watch her in amazement and respect until she opened her mouth and made a comment about how 'she doesn't use acrylic because it harms the nails'...!!! Immediately, my heart dropped. Although she could use her product amazingly, she lost a lot my respect for her instantly by her lack of knowledge.

And this is the reason why I said I would rather be a knowledgable small fish in a big pond who give out the correct education, than an ignorant big fish in a small pond who only wants to prove how well they can use the product..!! :lol:

Last edited:
Now, this one is interesting.... :lol:

I think to become respectable in anything, we have to earn it.

Hmm.. To me 'respectable' and 'respected' are slightly different things...))

I watch her in amazement and respect until she opened her mouth and made a comment about how 'she doesn't use acrylic because it harms the nails'...!!!

Maybe, it's not her but the company's policy - you never know. ;)

Maybe, it's not her but the company's policy - you never know. ;)

Yeah, actually, you're probably right. It may be the company's policy to ask her to say that...

But then if I was an educator, then I wouldn't choose a company who insisted I feed that sort of information to anyone. I think it actually makes it even worse if she actually knew what she said was incorrect but yet still said it to please the company.

It is almost a good example of how someone who wants to make a name for herself so much that she is willing to say incorrect information to keep her status within that company.

Hmm.. To me 'respectable' and 'respected' are slightly different things...))

Actually, you're probably right there too...!!

I might have use the wrong wording... must go back and edit that one.. thanks.. :hug:

Yeah, actually, you're probably right. It may be the company's policy to ask her to say that...
May be and may be not..
We will never know I guess.
Do you really believe that other companies are always honest and straightforward about every little thing?

I would just like to be in the pond in the first place! I am not fussed how big or little I am conpared to other fish, I just want to swim about, explore and learn :)

My problem is I have what my hubby calls a Nemo complex ( very apt given the pond theme!) I want to do so many things and try to to them all at once and tend to dive face first into learning them.

For me, 5 years down the line, I just want to be comfortable, doing what I enjoy and being in a position to be with my family when I want to - not a massive ask really :)

May be and may be not..
Do you really believe that other companies are always honest and straightforward about every little thing?

I don't think every company out there is honest about every single little thing about their products.

But I do believe a few companies out there are honest about their education and what they teach us as a result.

Facts are facts, it is not something which is easily manipulated.

May be and may be not..

No ... but I do know one that is!!

I would like to be a small fish in a comfortable pond, surrounded on all sides by reliable and reputable products, knowledge and the education to accompany all that.

I have no desire to paddle frantically ahead. I just don't want to get tangled up in the weeds!

My only ambition where nails are concerned is to produce decent sets that people are happy with, that last the distance and can be achieved within a realistic time frame.

Hmmmmm .... and I thought I wasn't ambitious!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back