Bio or Calgel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvis0808

Reaction score
just wondering which you would choose bio or cal gel???

difficult one, i'd say calgel for more strength, quick cure and one clear gel does all, but bio for colours, they glide on nicer and nicer colours imo x

I would eventually like to also carry Calgel, I've heard great things about it, but don't know of any salon in my area that has it. I emailed the Calgel person last week, the Canadian Calgel website has a contact page, but it's broken. I hope I have good success with email, so far I've had a few companies ignore my emails. I should state I am by means in no rush to start stocking a second product, but I'm curious about pros and cons of Calgel.

I love Bio Sculpture. No really, I love it. I think it's an amazing product. I also oddly enough like the acrylic based gels that are rock hard, however, when it breaks because eventually you do break a nail, it's not fun. I think tips are the devil. I just prefer things as close to the natural human nails as possible, and I think Bio Sculpture does that very well.

And removal is a total nightmare with hard gels.

I have been to Manchester over the weekend and had to do a double take as I saw Gary Hall (Calgel) on a stand all of his own. He has launched a new soak off gel called Bellisima.
All the strength of Calgel but without the yellowing
Had a nail done by him and it is fabulous.

Wot !!! how can I find out more ??? x

I saw the Bellisima stand too, and saw a nail done on a friend.....so as a Bio (there would be my choice) die-hard, I was very interested to see what it was all about.

If the gel stands up to what they claim, then I'm quite impressed by it....certainly by its strength, but the colour range is far too limited, and safe, so far, and needs to grow by a considerable amount (much more so than by the 10 promised). It is also not cheap....being more expensive than Bio Sculpture unless bought in the massive pots (where its comparable)

Now for me, a large part of the value of Bio is in its name and the marketing they do, so I'm unconvinced that an 'unknown' can carry the same prices. I have to say they really aren't organised as a company either (absolutely no support range or products thus far), enough for me to be tempted......yet, but I have registered and I will be watching very carefully. For me....for now....it's most definitely Bio Sculpture.

Hey, they're giving away FREE trial kits !!!

I couldnt use the above link so just googled Bellissima Gel !

I am very interested in Calgel and for people to say the colors are not as nice as Bio, imo check out the calgel nyc website the color chart on there show them as very nice

check out www.izabellehammon.com new Calgel website:hug:

Last edited:
I have used both Calgel and Bio.
I prefer Bio because:
-it is less likely to yellow for French when you use S gel
-more extensive colour range
-I've had more success getting a nice opaque finish with Bio - some Calgel colours aren't as deep with 2 coats
Having said that, Calgel is also an excellent product.
Also, as Linsday mentioned clients ask for Bio by name. Some clients wouldn't even consider using a different product.

I'm primarily switching over to CalGel. It's a bit stronger than Bio, has 30 second cure time vs 2 minute and I really like the rep for my area. I also notice all the pots seem to actually be full, and I've had many a jar from Bio Sculpture arrive opened or half full. I will still carry Bio for those clients that are used to it however hoping to slowly convert them to CalGel, I'm very happy with CalGel. They do have less colours but to be honest, most of the Bio colours are slight variations of each other and I tend to mix colours a lot and come up with custom shades.

And the rumor that the cert is only valid for 2 years is a rumor. My rep here said she never heard of that before and any certs here in Canada do NOT expire.

I also like that I can order single jars of art colours and Bio Sculpture has told me before I need to order a 10 pack. Sorry, but no.

Anyhow, I'm really liking CalGel. A lot.

Last edited:
I use Calgel, I was undecided between them and Bio Sculpture but found the woman I spoke to at Bio Sculpture at first to be quite snooty whereas Calgel everyone is lovely and so helpful!!! And I always get very quick delivery. Also they have an offer if you buy 5 pots of gel you get 1 free so I always wait til I need a few pots!!
I have loads of clients come for this.

I think that buy 5 get one free is a UK only offer. Here in Canada CalGel isn't nearly as widely known as Bio Sculpture, though that is changing.

I also find CalGel a harder gel than Bio which is a big deal for me.

Latest posts

Back