Bleeding after waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucyAnne

Reaction score
Hi all....

Oh my gosh I feel so bad !!
I waxed a friends sister the other day, I did her a full leg wax and an underarm wax.
The hair under her arms, was quite thick, and it seem to grown double out of each follicle, I cleanesd the skin, used pre wax oil, and did exactly what I always do when I am waxing under arms.
She did come up in blood spots straight away, I put this down to how harsh the hair was.

However speaking to my firend a few days later apparently they were weeping, and sore, she was putting salvon on to sooth it.

I feel awful, and I don't know why this has happend, its never happened before, her legs were fine...

Any ideas on why this has happened, was I doing something wrong?

Thank
Lucy:cry:

Hi, I am still at a training school at the moment but just qualified in waxing so I probably dont know as much as the others on here because its all down to experience but sometimes when ive had my underarms waxed I react like that, it is a sensitive area and if you did do everything correct then I wouldnt worry yourself too much because everyone reacts differently each time they are waxed due to hormones etc. I had a similar problem with a clients eyebrows the other week and I asked my teacher why and she said as long as i tested the wax temp on myself and her and did all the prewax and after wax stuff correctly then it was just how the clients skin reacted on that occassion - hope this helps :confused:

Hi hun, dont worry too much, we all have things happen like this some times, everyone is different and reacts differently. What wax do you use, do you use strip or non strip?? I use Berins non strip wax for underarms, I find non strip much kinder and easier to use on course hair. Maybe give it a try and see.xx hth.

You should always use hot wax for underarms. If the hair is really strong, apply it in long thin strips and this won't happen again.

Have to agree. Since switching to Hot Wax for under arms I've had no issues.
I use Berins Blue Wax.. It's Lovely to work with!

Hi, I do agree, non strip wax is the only way for me on sensitive areas like underarms, face and all intimate waxing.

Sounds like you have done everything right, just one thing to consider (and I dont know how long the hair was under her arms) but if its too long I would always trim it first.

This way you can apply the wax better in proper strips without getting "neighbour" hair stuck in it and ripping and hurting your client. Also the shorter hair allows you to get the wax neatly to the roots, best is always to wax regularly every 4 weeks, if its any longer it will also get very uncomfortable for your client.

Next time when you wax her it might be worth applying a bit of Clear it to the area after waxing as this can calm the area and prevent outbreaks.

Hth :hug:

Hi all....

Oh my gosh I feel so bad !!
I waxed a friends sister the other day, I did her a full leg wax and an underarm wax.
The hair under her arms, was quite thick, and it seem to grown double out of each follicle, I cleanesd the skin, used pre wax oil, and did exactly what I always do when I am waxing under arms.
She did come up in blood spots straight away, I put this down to how harsh the hair was.

However speaking to my firend a few days later apparently they were weeping, and sore, she was putting salvon on to sooth it.

I feel awful, and I don't know why this has happend, its never happened before, her legs were fine...

Any ideas on why this has happened, was I doing something wrong?

Thank
Lucy:cry:

Hiya, Im still training at the moment, and had a similar problem this week when I did my sisters under arms. The first one I did, brought tears to hear eyes, it was my first attempt at college, so she did forgive me, immediately she bled, though my teacher told me this is normal for some people, everybody reacts differently, she was in pain for the rest of the day, though on her other arm, I used really short pieces of strips rather than a long strip, as apparently if somebody is new to waxing or particularly sensitive, then do it with small strips, I have to say it worked a treat, her second armpit bled only slightly, and she wasnt in as much pain at all. Don't know if that helps, like I say Im still training, was my first attempt, so don't know if that helps any.

Thank you for all the advice, I use looks cream wax at the moment, I don't use hot wax at all, but from the adivce I will start using that for the more sensitive areas.

I have a Salon Systems heater, do you need a differnet kind of heater for the hot wax?

Thanks all made me feel better :)

When you apply, make sure that you get the wax right down to the base of the hair and you do this byreally stretching the skin as you apply.

As the wax is setting, which takes moments and not minutes, press, press, press the wax so that the hairs are embedded in the wax.

I am a licensed Esthetician and owner of a wax salon. It is perfectly normal for a person to spot bleed after an underarm wax. Underarm waxes are not the most pleasant feeling either. A lot of newbies do tend to get scared of waxing and feel as if something went wrong because of light bleeding or pain. Sometimes when you see a little blood in the waxed area, no matter where, it could be from skin lifting or you may have just killed that hair follicle and no more hair will grow in that area, so Congratulations!
You did nothing wrong, it is perfectly fine.

Also, hard wax (stripless) is best to use in the underarm area.

I thought hair decline & growth was hormonal. Can waxing really stop the hair from growing back?

Ive been waxing since I was 15 and I'm still just as hairy!

Can waxing really stop the hair from growing back?
No, waxing can not stop the hair growing back.

To the original poster: Sorry, I know I answered on this thread at an earlier date but I'd like to comment again.

Bleeding on underarm waxes is normal but it's usually caused by the client shaving and is also common on blondes and red heads. Generally speaking, the younger the client the more they bleed because the older the client, the weaker the hair is due to hormones as EmmaJane said.

Bleeding and soreness AFTERWARDS isn't normal unless the type of hair that I've mentioned above was removed with strip wax. This can also be caused by not stretching enough.

Don't forget that we can only advise our clients on aftercare; we don't know if they go away and put deodorant on within 24hrs which could have made her really sore.

Hope this helps in some way.

You should always use hot wax for underarms. If the hair is really strong, apply it in long thin strips and this won't happen again.

We only use strip wax and never have this problem. Did you stretch the skin?

Latest posts

Back