Body Painting Accreditation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruth Mills

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anyone knew of a short course that would lead to an accredited qualification in body painting. Having done body painting on an amateur/semi-pro basis for over 8 years now, I want to up the ante to become fully professional this year, and feel that a recognised qualification in body painting would be essential in order for me to do this. Although I'm essentially self-taught, I have picked up lots of tips and techniques from professional body painters and make-up artists while collaborating on projects, and am well aware of the necessary hygiene and health & safety considerations.

Why not write your own course and have it accredited?

I'm not sure that there is any - I do have insurance to cover body painting, facepainting and henna amongst other things, but no qualifications were needed.

It might be worth asking the question on this forum:

Face Painting Chat

you could also try here

http://www.emmacammack.com/

Last edited:
Why not write your own course and have it accredited?

Wow that sounds impressive, Kim! How does one go about that? And who will do the accreditation? An interesting idea, I would never have thought of that!

I'm not sure that there is any - I do have insurance to cover body painting, facepainting and henna amongst other things, but no qualifications were needed.

It might be worth asking the question on this forum:

Face Painting Chat

you could also try here

Body Painter London, Body painting UK, Body Painter London, Temporary Tattoos

Cool, who was the insurance with just out of interest? If there's no need for a specific qualification in order to get insurance, then hopefully my existing portfolio of work should be sufficient enough in order to promote myself.

I know Emma quite well, by the way; have worked with her on at least 3 occasions in the past...

There are a couple listed here http://www.habia.org/uploads/Make_Up_Courses1.pdf on the Habia website but they both say you have to have Level 2 Beauty Therapy as an entry requirement.
There's this lady too called Caroline Cowan who does two day courses Bodypainting Images of work by Carolyn Cowan but you'd have to contact her to find out whether her course is accredited or not.

Ooh, just found this as well! BFI | Media courses directory | Body Painting and Airbrushing Module

Thanks for those :)

I may well give Carolyn a shout then and see if her courses are accredited; even if not, she's got an excellent reputation in the body painting world (she used to do body painting and make-up for quite a few pop and rock stars back in the 80s, I think).

Shame that the Habia courses say that you'd need Level 2 Beauty Therapy as an entry requirement, as I almost certainly wouldn't have the time to commit to a full Level 2 course with my existing work commitments. I work full time in IT, but am intending to pursue body painting primarily at weekends.

I can't remember, but will dig them out tomorrow. I'm pretty sure Blackfriars cover it - most face painters use Blackfriars, but I wanted it to cover red Henna as well, and they wouldn't cover henna at all. I had to phone all over the place to find somewhere that would do everything I wanted (including my massage). In the end I've had to set up two separate insurances - one for massage therapy and one for the painting/bodyart/spray tanning.

Will find the insurance docs tomorrow and let you know.

I can't remember, but will dig them out tomorrow. I'm pretty sure Blackfriars cover it - most face painters use Blackfriars, but I wanted it to cover red Henna as well, and they wouldn't cover henna at all. I had to phone all over the place to find somewhere that would do everything I wanted (including my massage). In the end I've had to set up two separate insurances - one for massage therapy and one for the painting/bodyart/spray tanning.

Will find the insurance docs tomorrow and let you know.

Cool, thanks for that. Would definitely be good to get insurance that covers henna too, as I want to do some henna art too.

Depending on how things go, I may yet take up spray tanning too... don't know of anyone who does it locally off the top of my head...

Hi Ruth
The insurance is through Towergate

I am covered for Face Painting, Body Painting, Airbrush Body Painting and Tattoos, Glitter Tattoos, Brown Henna and Airbrush and Spray Tanning.

I started spray tanning some months ago and enjoy it and as you're used to an airbrush you'll find it easy.

Wow that sounds impressive, Kim! How does one go about that? And who will do the accreditation? An interesting idea, I would never have thought of that!

You could start by contacting The Build and BABTAC, telling them that you'd like to have your courses accredited. If it's something they're interested in, they'll tell you what you need to do. Good luck Ruth. Go for it! xxx

Hi Ruth,

If you want to look at putting a course of your own together, we should be able to help in getting it accredited. If you would like any information in how to do this, then contact our Director, Lynne Archer, on 0845 2177 389 or email [email protected]. Lynne deals with all the accreditation applications personally and so is the best person to advise you.

Hi Ruth

I am covered for Face Painting, Body Painting, Airbrush Body Painting and Tattoos, Glitter Tattoos, Brown Henna and Airbrush and Spray Tanning.

I started spray tanning some months ago and enjoy it and as you're used to an airbrush you'll find it easy.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll drop them an email and see what they say.

Actually I haven't done any airbrushing yet though; all my body painting to date has been done using the brush and sponge technique...

Hi Ruth,

If you want to look at putting a course of your own together, we should be able to help in getting it accredited. If you would like any information in how to do this, then contact our Director, Lynne Archer, on 0845 2177 389 or email [email protected]. Lynne deals with all the accreditation applications personally and so is the best person to advise you.

Thanks for the info. To be honest, I feel that someone like Emma Cammack is probably better placed than myself to create a course to be accredited, as she has been doing body painting training for years now, and her technical skills at body painting are far in excess of mine. However it would be good to be involved all the same :)

Thanks for the info. To be honest, I feel that someone like Emma Cammack is probably better placed than myself to create a course to be accredited, as she has been doing body painting training for years now, and her technical skills at body painting are far in excess of mine. However it would be good to be involved all the same :)

Ruth, by all means feel free to give us a call and have a chat about things. Even if it's something you're not ready to do now, it might give you some ideas and starting points to work from. :hug:

Hi Ruth

Got a good quote from them - £80 for 2 million or £120 for 5 million - and to top it all they are based in Shrewsbury too - not far from my favourite kebab shop at a guess either...

Just need to check if they cover you for things like lighting and whatnot too, as it would be daft to be covered for body painting if someone trips up on a lighting stand and gets bashed on the bonce by a big heavy light!

And, while I'm at it, since they do performing arts, am gonna check if they cover you for music recording too... might as well offer everything I'm good at through my business lol...

Ruth, by all means feel free to give us a call and have a chat about things. Even if it's something you're not ready to do now, it might give you some ideas and starting points to work from. :hug:

Thank you, I may well do in a bit; need to get my bedroom turned into a bodypaint/photo studio first though before I can start doing any of this properly, and that will need much tidying up and de-chaosing...

Was about to suggest Emma Cammack, but see you already know her.

Just bumping this thread up as I would love to do this and looking for more info.:eek:

Latest posts

Back