Brisa gel - help needed re application

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethyst_Angel

Reaction score
Hello all!

I wonder if you could help a geek in need!

I'm fairly new to Brisa and I'm having problems building my apexes. Whenever I do a set (currently on my nail trainer) I'm left with what I can only describe as a 'trough' where there is no gel. I have attempted to fix this by putting more gel onto the area and squishing it around to fill this cavernous hole but it seems that whenever I take my brush away all the gel is on my brush and not where I put it to fill the sodding hole! :eek: :irked:

Is there something I can do to avoid this? Where am I going wrong?

Also... how do I build an apex so that it's not too thick? I'm constantly worrying about heat spikes and setting fire to my nail trainer... :eek:

Hello all!

I wonder if you could help a geek in need!

I'm fairly new to Brisa and I'm having problems building my apexes. Whenever I do a set (currently on my nail trainer) I'm left with what I can only describe as a 'trough' where there is no gel. I have attempted to fix this by putting more gel onto the area and squishing it around to fill this cavernous hole but it seems that whenever I take my brush away all the gel is on my brush and not where I put it to fill the sodding hole! :eek: :irked:

Is there something I can do to avoid this? Where am I going wrong?

Also... how do I build an apex so that it's not too thick? I'm constantly worrying about heat spikes and setting fire to my nail trainer... :eek:

Forgot to say - I've got a skill building booked for 21 May but wondered if I could try to improve in the meantime.

Do you have Gigi's book 'Nailclass' I apply Brisa as she directs.

It sounds to me like you are being too heavy handed. I put a small bead of gel (as Gigi says - petit pois size) in Zone 2 and then using the very tip of the brush 'tease' it out to the sides and zone 3 - leaving the bulk in Zone 2. This is a very foreshortened explanation but see her tutorial
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/10070-brush-control-when-using-gel.html

If I have a dip, I take a bead of gel and touch it to the area, then I touch the brush just above and below the area, so the gel settles in between, in the 'dip'. I'm not actually touching the dip area, just stringing the gel back and forth over top til it fills.

I think the key is a really light touch - not pushing or dragging the gel.

hths!

It sounds to me like you are being too heavy handed. I put a small bead of gel (as Gigi says - petit pois size) in Zone 2 and then using the very tip of the brush 'tease' it out to the sides and zone 3 - leaving the bulk in Zone 2. This is a very foreshortened explanation but see her tutorial
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/10070-brush-control-when-using-gel.html

You're too quick for me!

Heavy handed sounds about right for me. :o

I think I'm squishing rather than teasing. I think that explains a lot. Thank you Adele.

Am I likely to set fire to my nail trainer or am I just being paranoid...?

If I have a dip, I take a bead of gel and touch it to the area, then I touch the brush just above and below the area, so the gel settles in between, in the 'dip'. I'm not actually touching the dip area, just stringing the gel back and forth over top til it fills.

I think the key is a really light touch - not pushing or dragging the gel.

hths!

Thank you for the advice - I think I do need to use a much lighter touch. I think I'm possibly still in L&P mode and squishing it around too much.

No, you are not going to set fire to your nail trainer :lol:

I was applying too thick to start with so I practised on my own hand to get the feel as I am very sensitive to heat spike. I soon worked out what was right.

So much more professional than my clients screaming and fainting:green::green::green:

No, you are not going to set fire to your nail trainer :lol:

I was applying too thick to start with so I practised on my own hand to get the feel as I am very sensitive to heat spike. I soon worked out what was right.

So much more professional than my clients screaming and fainting:green::green::green:

Phew! What a relief! :green:

Unfortunately I seem to be allergic to Brisa too so I can't really wear it on myself to test the heat spike-iness. However, hopefully once I get my application up to scratch I might be able to start wearing Brisa enhancements as I won't be slopping gel all over my skin. Otherwise I might just end up setting fire to my clients...............

Thanks Adele! :hug:

Which they quite often do, or seem to think they do, they're so dramatic sometimes!

OMG ... I have my Brisa gel course booked for May.

Scared to death now lol

Good luck with it x

Latest posts

Back