calgel/biosculpture bad?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luxury Beauty

Reaction score
hiya

i recently went to my jessica nails training and i had mentioned that i wanted to go into calgel/bio- sculpt and as soon as i said that the trainer looked at me as if she was horrified and said 'all nail extensions are bad, thats why jessica polishes are so thick so it looks like artificial nails'.

i then replied saying that if it is done properly then the persons nail plate shouldnt be damaged and she was saying why on earth would you want to.

i left the training baffled as i know with the correct procedure, peoples nails shouldnt be damaged especially using calgel or bio!! the lady at training was saying 'calgel and bio advertise themselves as being organic and good for the nails but in order to remove them you still have to use acetone which is severly dehydrating to the nail and its not organic or good for the nail'.

is it true when doing infills, using calgel/bio that you have to soak it all off and then put a new set on?

i am just so confused, as personally i have heard good things about both these companies and i am even going to do training with either of these.

does anyone have an explanation as to why i might have been told this?

x

hm, I got that a lot when I did a conversion course with a low-end company (not saying jessica is, but the one I went with was) and the lady slagged off everything else left right and center, it's unprofessional IMO.

Also, people like that are salespeople, and they do anything to get their figures up!

And also what she told you is untrue xx

Well Jessica have always been very against nail exts of any kind and used to not let people who did exts work with their products. It is true that acetone will dehydrate the nails when you soak off.

However i use Calgel and only soak off every 3 months so it isn't dehydrating them very much and doesn't cause any visable damage. Most peoples nails are much better than before they had the gels done.

Last edited:
Acetone will temporarily dehydrate the nail plate, so will polish remover, prep products and anything else you might use to clean the nail before applying extensions or polish. Forget the hype. Don't over do it with anything drying and use a good cuticle oil.

what a load of old tat. IMO

if they are applied in the correct way and not abused then they are no different.

whatever next !!!!!!

Is Jessica purely a Natural Nail supply....do they sell any enhancement products...??

Is Jessica purely a Natural Nail supply....do they sell any enhancement products...??

No it is purely natural nail products. I have heard that some of their educators say similar things about enhancements; it's a selling technique but only a small part of why Jessica has done very well - mainly due to their excellent UK distributor.

I have never heard comments like that from their Chief Sales representative Mandy or Susan herself. I think it is a way however of promoting Jessica because at the end of the day... they are unique in the nail indusrty for NOT doing enhancements!

Hope this helps!

Hi

I know Bio Sculpture very well and no you do not need to soak the gel off every time you do a refill.

The gel when applied correctly is self-levelling and remains thin and natural on the nail. Only after a few months you will need to remove the gel for a new application due to thickness or colour change (eg. from colour to french).
All Removers are dehydrating to the nail - but Bio Sculpture gel remover does have Chamomile in it so it is slightly kinder.

Well that has me a little confused as there is a posh looking salon in Hindley that is a Jessica Gold Salon but they do nail enhancements.

Joan

Well that has me a little confused as there is a posh looking salon in Hindley that is a Jessica Gold Salon but they do nail enhancements.

Joan

Not confusing - those enhancments won't be Jessica they'll use something else for that (hopefully CND :lol: :lol::lol::lol:)... Natural Nail Co who supply Jessica don't supply nail enhancement products but many will use Jessica in a salon for NN treatments and other co's for their nail enhancements... make sense?? :idea:

Well in a perfect natural nail world we would all have lovely nails.
We wouldnt be biters and pickers and we would use our oils and creams and wear gloves for housework, have regular manicures etc etc but a lot of us dont and need nail enhancements.
Yes soaking off Calgel can be drying but its quick and you oil around the cuticle and i definately notice the difference when i have run out of the proper remover and used neat acetone instead.The nails appear more dehydrated.No you dont have to do it every time although i do with french just because its easier quicker and fresher rather than rebalancing.When using just clear and white its off in about 10 /15 mins in foil with a wheatie on top.
Prep is done with a 240 sponge board file just to remove shine.
Infills are mainly done with a 180 grit sponge file so there should be little damage there.
Tips are applied on top of a layer of Calgel and then blended so no damage to natural nail there either.

Last edited:
the lady at training was saying 'calgel and bio advertise themselves as being organic and good for the nails but in order to remove them you still have to use acetone which is severly dehydrating to the nail and its not organic or good for the nail'.
Ok read the below thread regarding the 'danger' of acetone....
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/44732-help-acetone-allergy.html

Now onto the organic issue... every nail enhancement product is 'organic' this simly means made from carbon chains.... as is acetone....

No company should advertise that theirs is safer or healthier than any other because it is organic... this is just misleading the public into thinking the others must be made from some mad scientists brew....

They prey on the confusion between 'bio-organic' (naturally occuring) and organic (the scientific study of all carbon based molecules)

Take a look at the following thread which goes into the chemisty of gel more indepth..
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/49600-brisa-help.html

I hope that helps a little....

is it true when doing infills, using calgel/bio that you have to soak it all off and then put a new set on?

No, this statement is utter rubbish. I use Calgel and unless there is servere lifting or something has gone horribly wrong like them slamming their finger in a door or something, you rebalance just like with L&P.

You do not have to soak off the nails with every rebalance :irked::irked:

Marlise

Latest posts

Back