California Flare And Stiletto (pics)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally respect your opinion as well as others on this site. Yes, I do shape my nails thicker then others only because they don't break as easy. I don't have time to repair a broken nail or two. My clients don't seem to mind and as far as the flare look goes, again, you have to see them in person to really admire them.

Nanny

hey alltherage; I commend you for taking it on the chin:!: It is great to see what others do and enjoy and to be fair although the old flared look is not popular here you have stood your ground and if your clients love them and pay for them... well who are we to say otherwise??? :idea: what you need to remember is that in good ole blighty (engalnd)... we go for more - dare I say - classic styles... but the salongeek is about everyone so bring it on.

I am so pleased you haven't been offended by opinions because although I think your nails could look that much better with a file taken to them to thin them out and structurley (?) make then look more fab... you have been receptive to what we have to say!!

Good on you and hale the yanks for this evening!! :)

I love the art, I think it is amazing but I have to say the shapes aren't my cup of tea, but then I am pretty boring, I like rounded/oval shapes :hug:

I think your nail art is lovely you really have some great ideas!!!
I think extending the nailbed by custom blend or colour would be a great idea.
Smiles need to be a little bit more smiley and you need to keep the glitter away from the other work. 2 pots .....one for glitter one for colour is a a good idea.
Well done keep working on it!!! xxx

This just higlights that different clients want different things and this will vary from country to country, Can I ask Nanny do you only do this style of nail or do you also do what us techs in the uk do everyday the classic shorter pink and white ?

I love the nail art but can't get on with the shape of either.

hey alltherage; I commend you for taking it on the chin:!: It is great to see what others do and enjoy and to be fair although the old flared look is not popular here you have stood your ground and if your clients love them and pay for them... well who are we to say otherwise??? :idea: what you need to remember is that in good ole blighty (engalnd)... we go for more - dare I say - classic styles... but the salongeek is about everyone so bring it on.

I am so pleased you haven't been offended by opinions because although I think your nails could look that much better with a file taken to them to thin them out and structurley (?) make then look more fab... you have been receptive to what we have to say!!

i agree i was expecting to be beheaded :lol:

The nail beds look a little damaged in some of the pics, especially the ring fingers? Are you using a dril?

This just higlights that different clients want different things and this will vary from country to country, Can I ask Nanny do you only do this style of nail or do you also do what us techs in the uk do everyday the classic shorter pink and white ?

Yes I do. I started off doing the classic P&W. Thing about it is I noticed the flare look on somebody many years ago and liked them. So I started wearing them and almost all my clients just kinda followed along. I still do P&W's on my older clients. I might have a picture somewhere to show. What I would like to stress is that you are your own advertisement. Wear something funky and I bet one or two clients will go along. Which translates into $$$!!! I say this with a humble heart, my income has tripled since doing the Rockstar nail!!! Take that to the bank!

The nail beds look a little damaged in some of the pics, especially the ring fingers? Are you using a dril?

You guys are very observant! Which I think is a good thing. Anyway, yeah she has some damaged nail beds but she still wants those nails. I do use a drill though but it's not the cause of what you see.

Nanny

You guys are very observant!
Nanny
of course hunny, us geeks are observant, and so we should be,
lol we are professionals,...

:green:
Did you try to persuade the client to have something a little more suitable for her damaged nail plates hun ?
I don't think I could have applied something like this to damaged nail plates (especially the middle finger on the stilleto pic..ouchy !)

I have a client who loves long nails but they just wern't suited to her, so after some gentle persuasion we kept the length shorter, and are now working our way up to her wearing them long again..But slowly..

Do clients tend to have many breakages ?

I post the same pix on BeautyTech and when I first started posting on that forum I got the same reception. Which is cool because I realize the flare look is not for everybody or the thickness. So it would be safe to say that I'm use to people not caring for the shape. It's the art that most people like. All I know is that many of my clients dare to be different and really like the bling. Some clients ask me to flare their nails out even more so. Whatever floats your boat!

Nanny

of course hunny, us geeks are observant, and so we should be,
lol we are professionals,...

:green:
Did you try to persuade the client to have something a little more suitable for her damaged nail plates hun ?

Do clients tend to have many breakages ?

I'm tellin' you, she will not settle for anything less. Bad nail or not she's gonna have those looong nails. About the breakage, like I said in an earlier post, I do shape my nails thicker then others only to prevent breakage. So if ever my cleints suffer from a broken nail it's really only because they slammed it hard!:lol:

Nanny

I'm tellin' you, she will not settle for anything less. Bad nail or not she's gonna have those looong nails. About the breakage, like I said in an earlier post, I do shape my nails thicker then others only to prevent breakage. So if ever my cleints suffer from a broken nail it's really only because they slammed it hard!:lol:

Nanny
Sorry hunny I must have missed the post...appologies.
Some clients are sooo stubborn lol.

I have to admit though I get a tummy flip when I think of them banging them,
I know when I catch one of mine at the corner ..the pain !!!! lol.

Just a general question though...
Isn't a break on one of these babies more likely to break off the nail plate with it rather than the actual acrylic breaking leaving the nail plate in tact ?

Thankyou for answering all our questions, we are all very curious..
although Im not keen myself on the shape of these nails in general ,( not meaning just yours hun, i have seen lots of these nails now)

I am very open to learning about and understanding techniques from all over the world xxxx

well...

I don't think these are stilettos... I'd suggest you to take a look at what's been called this way in Russia, where the shape itself is wayyy more thinner, and actually really look like a stileto heel! but it's cool to know they're getting a little famous over in the US. here we're very few doing/wearing them for now. but I'm hoping it could change.

as for Flare nails, I did see them with my own eyes and I could only ask myself if the clients could swimm faster. because to me... ouch!

I admire the work still, but I'm pretty sure if i'd wear them my boss would fire me as they don't have the real parrallelic structure we stand for.

BUT I love the nail art, am very fond of it :):)

i think your nail art designs are brilliant :green: can i ask what products you use ?? i use ez flow but you seem to have lots of mega bright colours going on , which is cool
i like stilletto's but just not that long , they look a bit dangerous :lol:
and am sorry i dont like the flare look at all , but like i said your art work is amazing , xxx

well...

I don't think these are stilettos... I'd suggest you to take a look at what's been called this way in Russia, where the shape itself is wayyy more thinner, and actually really look like a stileto heel!

I beg to differ! I make no secret about it, I like my nails thick to prevent them from breaking. The nail shape is a stiletto and I know this from the countless number of pix that I have found online from Russia.Nanny

Last edited:
the thing is, russians are way thinner and they don't break! I know cuz I wore a few sets...

when you curve your nail you get more stregth so you can work thinner.

I didn't want to offend you btw. but submit them to russian nail tech and see what comes from that...

the thing is, russians are way thinner and they don't break! I know cuz I wore a few sets...

when you curve your nail you get more stregth so you can work thinner.

I didn't want to offend you btw. but submit them to russian nail tech and see what comes from that...

No offense taken. I don't think submitting a picture to a Russian nail tech would change anything. You said you had stilettos on at one time, did an actual Russian do your nails? As far as the curve and thickness goes, I hear what you are saying but I prefer my style for the benefit of my nails as well as my clients. Every now and again a client wants their nails thinner then I usaully do them but so far majority of my clients are fine with the thickness. With a 100 plus clients, I'd say I'm doing something right!Nanny

I have worn a 2 form stiletto.. and had no problem with breakage because i moved my arch further down while still keeping the product thin.. ifykwim.. I did break the very end of the tip off initially but that was my fault completely and after re designing the tip i still managed to keep it thin and not break it...

the more product the worse the break imo.. 100+ clients.. wow yes you are doing heaps right.. but the stilettos are wrong.. they fall under claws imo, and i mean that with no disrespect but claws just the same.

Dee.. i think you will find the bright colours are actually mylar and decals.. hearts and shapes encased.. and as i said before nanny's eye for design and colour is amazing!!

I have worn a 2 form stiletto.. and had no problem with breakage because i moved my arch further down while still keeping the product thin.. ifykwim.. I did break the very end of the tip off initially but that was my fault completely and after re designing the tip i still managed to keep it thin and not break it...

the more product the worse the break imo.. 100+ clients.. wow yes you are doing heaps right.. but the stilettos are wrong.. they fall under claws imo, and i mean that with no disrespect but claws just the same.

Dee.. i think you will find the bright colours are actually mylar and decals.. hearts and shapes encased.. and as i said before nanny's eye for design and colour is amazing!!

Maybe there is something to this curve bit, but I have been doing my nails this way for along time now and I am use to it. I laughed when I read that you called them claws because that's what my husband called them. Listen, original stiletto or not, this is what I call them, more and more people are wanting them, translation, $$$!!! Thanks for the compliment on the art. Sometimes it gets hard trying something new but my wheels are always turning! Take care!

Nanny

Latest posts

Back