Calling all Aussie Nail Geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paula Wilson

Reaction score
I'm a geeky nail student hoping to qualify with a Level 3 Diploma pretty soon. Which is grand - however, my hubby, being Australian, has decided he would like for us all to move back to Oz and given this weather, I'm with him all the way. Only thing is, I'm just about getting my head round the industry in the UK so I'm hoping their are some Aussie geeks out there who can advise me.
  1. Would my UK qualification be valid in Aus or would I need to do a conversion course.
  2. What is the industry like over there - are there a lot of nail techs - how's the market?
  3. What professional organisation's are there - would my membership of the Beauty Guild here be valid in Aus/professional indemnity etc
  4. Can you recommend supplier's/nail systems?
  5. Are there any limitations in Aus re running a nail salon in your own home?
Thanks in advance for everyone's help - this is the best site ever and I have to say I have learned more from this site that I have from my course or local techs whose brains I've been picking. :wink2:

I'm a geeky nail student hoping to qualify with a Level 3 Diploma pretty soon. Which is grand - however, my hubby, being Australian, has decided he would like for us all to move back to Oz and given this weather, I'm with him all the way. Only thing is, I'm just about getting my head round the industry in the UK so I'm hoping their are some Aussie geeks out there who can advise me.
  1. Would my UK qualification be valid in Aus or would I need to do a conversion course.
  2. What is the industry like over there - are there a lot of nail techs - how's the market?
  3. What professional organisation's are there - would my membership of the Beauty Guild here be valid in Aus/professional indemnity etc
  4. Can you recommend supplier's/nail systems?
  5. Are there any limitations in Aus re running a nail salon in your own home?
Thanks in advance for everyone's help - this is the best site ever and I have to say I have learned more from this site that I have from my course or local techs whose brains I've been picking. :wink2:
Contact APFA - The Australian Association for Professional Nail Practitioners they should be able to help you quite a bit.
What system are you using at the moment? You'll be able to get most brands here. The supplier will depend on what brand you want to use and where you'll be.
My experience of what the industry is like is probably diffeent to others because I'm a long way fom the cities.
Running a salon at home is pretty straight forward, whether you need to get council permission depends on the zoning of you location.

hi paula, you will love Australia for our lifestyle and climate!
We are pretty saturated with nail techs..lots of NSS available in every shopping centre..ready to slice and dice clients:irked: On the upside i havent seen any MMA lately from these salons..but still the same damage.
We certainly do need good techs here..from what i have seen on new clients its pretty disappointing.
Our pricing tends to be cheaper than the UK..even in salons.
If you are coming to Perth then Creative would be the best bet for training and products.
Working from home here, you will need councils permission plus your immediate neighbours..no more than 2 clients cars in driveway at a time..mon-fri 9-5pm..which is pretty ridiculous (the times) so i choose to ignore that bit,lol.

You'll love Australia. Alot of these thing will depend on your area, I'm in Canberra(ACT) and we have a few of the nss salons round but also a major shortage of good techs I'm turning people away daily at the moment. As Beautynails said the APFA can give you good advice on qualifcations but you should be fine as at the moment we aren't a regulated industry.
  1. Would my UK qualification be valid in Aus or would I need to do a conversion course. It should be fine.
  2. What is the industry like over there - are there a lot of nail techs - how's the market? Again depending on the area you are in but from alot of people I've spoken too finding a good tech can be hard.
  3. What professional organisation's are there - would my membership of the Beauty Guild here be valid in Aus/professional indemnity etc. Don't know about beauty guild but there is the APFA which is nails only or the AAPA which is nails and beauty.I didn't need to show or prove anything when I got my insurance which covers public liabilty/treatment risk and general product and salon stuff.
  4. Can you recommend supplier's/nail systems? Pacific nail and Beauty are Creative importers(QLD),Ive also dealt with CNE in Melbourne they have Creative and Entity both of which have been great.
  5. Are there any limitations in Aus re running a nail salon in your own home? Local government will have different requirements one thing I found hard was insurance if the room you work in is in your house and not separate they may not cover you( I was told I had to include it in my home insurance:eek:)

ooh a move to aussie

sounds good to me

good luck

Hi all
i just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has responsed to my thread. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I have to say this site rocks. Everyone is always willing to help out - it's almost like having a personal tutor with you at all times.

Cheers:)

ps meant to ask, what does NSS stand for?

Hi all
i just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has responsed to my thread. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I have to say this site rocks. Everyone is always willing to help out - it's almost like having a personal tutor with you at all times.

Cheers:)

ps meant to ask, what does NSS stand for?

NSS - Non standard salon, Good luck with Oz hun !!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Like the others said.

Setting up a home based salon will differ, depending on where you live. In my area, in Queensland, it's pretty easy. I was looking into this a few months ago. The business is self assessable. The council gives you a list of rules and regulations, to do with parking and disposing of waste, number of employees, etc. So if it was just you, no employees, and you can say that the business will not impact on your neighbours and environment, then you can just start up the business without even telling the council.

The rules are fairly strict, but for a very small home salon it should be fine.

Also, this is just in my local area, you would have to check it out with the council in your area.

Theres a pretty good market for nails around here, no NSS, just a few beauty salons doing nails, one or two home based techs. The average price here is about $65 for a full set, $50 for a refill.

NSS - Non standard salon, Good luck with Oz hun !!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Okay - now I'm going to look like a complete lemon:rolleyes: but what is a "non standard salon".

Thanks again, P

Latest posts

Back