Can older new starters do well?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsR

Reaction score
I am just starting out - will be starting my Professional Nail Technician course in the next few months and have my place at night school for VTCT Swedish Body Massage in September but I am 36 years old - am I crazy - is there an industry for me out there around all you young ladies when I am just starting out training at this age? Feedback appreciated.

Well i am 34 hun and i started doing nails last year.....YOUR NEVER to old for anything is my moto.!!!!!.....its not the age ,its how well they do your nails,massage,skin,hair,etc.........good luck with your training.xx

aww bless ya... :hug:
You're not old at all, in fact, I'd go as far as to say that you're in the majority (on here) being only 36.

A lot of technicians start their 'new career' in their 30's and older, there are some members who didn't come into the business until they were in their late 40's/early 50's. A couple of Geeks have recently started Hairdressing courses and they're both in their 30's, you're not on your own and I'm sure you're going to love it :green:

You are not crazy...go for it.:)

i was in my 30's when i started...best time of life.

Go for it, I was an older starter at 34.

Hi and no, of course you're not too old! I added yet another nought to my age on my birthday last year and it was just after that when I began my nail foundation course. Since then, I've done several more courses and I've just started my VTCT nail technology. As long as you're genuinely interested and prepared to put in a lot of hard graft, you'll be fine. :hug: :) x

hello....
You are never to old to achieve what you want to achieve.. i wish you all the best,i thought i was mad thinking i could some day become a nail technican,not because of my age as i am only 23,but i felt i would be no good,but the more courses i take the better i get (and also the help from the nail geeks have help me loads)and i just can't wait till the day comes and i can call myself a nail technician,if your passionate about something your do well whatever age you are :hug:good luck xxxxxxxxxxxx

Absolutely Mrs R ... I was an older starter too!

Awwwwww thanks guys, feel a bit better now - was starting to doubt myself at the start of this long journey ahead. :hug:

i apologise to all the youngsters out there but if i go to have a massage and am faced with a 19 year old and a 40 year old then i would go for the 40 year old every time. it's silly i know but you just assume the older person would have more experience. it's not always the case i know but i think being older can have its advantages. From an employers point of view i would look for people who have a passion for their work irrespective of age. good luck :)

I am just starting out - will be starting my Professional Nail Technician course in the next few months and have my place at night school for VTCT Swedish Body Massage in September but I am 36 years old - am I crazy - is there an industry for me out there around all you young ladies when I am just starting out training at this age? Feedback appreciated.

Course you are not, I started a 3 year full time Beauty Therapy course at 39

It is never to late to start something new, I love my new life and have never regreted taking the plunge. Go for it girl. By the way I am now 44 and very proud of mysef.

:hug:​

Its really inspiring reading all your stories - major pats on the backs ladies x :)

I started in this business at 36 and to be honest I think age and experience has alot to offer.:)

Go for it!!:green:

I was worried when I started my nail foundation course last year Mrs R....

I was 37 and all of a sudden I wondered what on earth I was doing!!!

But all the geeks here reassured me...as they have done for you...that it doesn't matter what age your are...it can even work in your favour....:hug:

I started when I was 43... I am now 47 and still doing more and more training.. its very addictive and I am loving every minute of it.

My clients like the fact that I am 'older' as they say they are put at ease with my manerisms and care that I give in my work. Best move I have ever made :)

Don't be daft hun - I was 41 when I started out in nails!

I spent years in a high pressure job, what was all that about I ask myself!

This is the best thing I have ever done.

Go for it - you'll love it.

Yes you have all definately inspired me even more :) now can't wait to get booked on my nail course

Hun you go for it I started when I was 35 and now at 36 I have decided to start my own business full time.
You will find as said a lot of people don't get into this business until they are in their 30's.
Good luck :hug:

MrsR you are never too old to learn

I wish you all the best

Latest posts

Back