Can You Believe This

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an extremely old thread dating back to 2004...
Hopefully, many of us has actually rise their prices since then...

Lol. I was gonna comment.. I didn't even look at the date.

It's interesting when an old thread like this pops back up, you can see the differences from now to back then.

I agree that techs should have increased their prices from 2004, that's a long time to stick with the same price. I don't think it's a product thing, I think it's just a general inflation thing, everyone knows everything in the world goes up with inflation.

Someone mentioned product prices going up every year, Gigi mentioned that they don't and I would have to agree with Gigi, they don't go up EVERY year but the expense for the tech might go up every year (at least) depending on what extra services you begin to offer. Back in 2004 no on had to worry about offering Minx for example, so you didn't have the expense of this to add to your list but now Minx is everywhere and you have to buy it first before you can offer it, so to some it might seem your costs are rising but they really are not cause you make the cost + profit back when you offer that Minx service.

I was so shocked yesterday. I phoned a client who I hadn't heard from in a while.

Asked her if she still wanted her nails done. She said she had found someone much cheaper. I presumed it may be a NSS salon, but to my surprise she said "it is an english girl who has done a course like you" and since her kids have gone back to school works from home.

I was so offended. I told her that I hadn't just done a one day course, in fact I had 6 years experience, was a Creative Nail Technician and also NVQ qualified and kept up with training, education etc.

Do you know what she said to me. "Well you are both good nail technicians and as she uses the same products as you, decided to go for the cheaper option.

Apparently this other tech charges £25.00 for full set and £12.00 for infills.

I then told her that I couldn't possibly do them for that price, I would be selling myself short and working for peanuts. What a cheek. I told her to go the cheaper one and ALL THE BEST. Can you imagine how angry I was.

Aaaaaaaah.

Sam
Nothing But Nails

I agree with a lot of the comments – you cant really be angry and you can bring your prices down. Maybe its more hidden jealousy that she has moved on to somewhere that offers what you aren’t willing to.
Also you don’t know what course/qualifications this person has had – and although you have 6 years experience you didn’t train for 6 years.
I do nails part time mobile, funded the course (fully accredited) myself and bulk bought a lot of items (liquid, powder etc spending about £400-500), and charged £15 for a full set of acrylics (for French, natural or colours) and £8 infills for my first 3 months – it didn’t take me long to break even and start making a profit.
I now offer nails for £20 with infills at £12 and its almost all profit now bar the add file/buffer, so doubt if your prices were lower you would be selling yourself short.
You may be the better nail tech but with everyone tightening their purses, not many people stop to think about how damaging some places may be with the price being the driving force.
This week my nails are £10 as it’s the last week in Jan and I am busy (for only doing it PT in the evenings!) I would rather have the 16 people I have booked in paying £10 than the 2 I had booked in before I done this offer paying £20 each – makes far more sense!
:)

As has already been pointed out by flower, this thread is from 2004:eek:
I'm sorry hun, but considering how much fuel prices have been hiked in the last couple of weeks, let alone since 2004, how are you managing to make a profit and pay yourself a wage:smack:
A home salon doesn't have these overheads to worry about or the buisness rates that a shop salon has to bear, but even so, I would expect them to have increased since that time, you, with your overheads.......... it's about time a modest increase came into your menu:confused:
I charge roughly the same as that and then just add on a fuel cost £2 within a mile or 2, then roughly getting more upto £5 for a trip to the next town 10 miles away - that only 'just' covers but the £2 here and there easily make up for any possible loss.

i don't mean this offensively, but are u nuts. Nails for £10. When i worked mobile i remember by the time you packed up the car, set up got there thats was half hr already gone, then you do this again at the end of treatment another half hr. An hrs time for free.(Unless your super fast) Whats basic wage these days £6 + .Add products and fuel, you have gotta be out of pocket. I now work from home, Tried going back and doing the salon thing, but for me with young children i found home for now is best. No way im charging £10. Is that for a full set? I charge £30 pink and whites £20 for a rebalance. You dont have to sell yourself short to get clients through the door. Put the price up, at least a bit.:)

i don't mean this offensively, but are u nuts. Nails for £10. When i worked mobile i remember by the time you packed up the car, set up got there thats was half hr already gone, then you do this again at the end of treatment another half hr. An hrs time for free.(Unless your super fast) Whats basic wage these days £6 + .Add products and fuel, you have gotta be out of pocket. I now work from home, Tried going back and doing the salon thing, but for me with young children i found home for now is best. No way im charging £10. Is that for a full set? I charge £30 pink and whites £20 for a rebalance. You dont have to sell yourself short to get clients through the door. Put the price up, at least a bit.:)
Gotta agree about doing sets at a tenner, that's ridiculous!! :eek:

I think a minimum of about £18 for a fully qualified technician with them on a special offer, I love my job and would quite happily work for free but not for 16 sets worth.. must be mad lol :D

I do realise that this is an offer, but where i am the oriental salons charge more than your standard price. They have no problems getting clients through the door,And they seemed to be slated quite badly. I dont now for sure and cannot speak from experience as i have and would not go in, but nail beds of others that i have seen that did OUCh.

I wonder what would happen if we all agreed to charge the same......... what a mind blowing idea that would be!!!!

tigi
xxx

Almost 18 years ago when I started my salon in Leeds, I was charging 35.00 (pounds) for a set, and 28.50 for a RB. 18 years ago!!

When I left the salon, as the senior stylist (as it were) I was charging 50.00 for a FS and 38.50 for a RB. (and had a full book), and that was almost 10 years ago!! What the heck has happened??

Here in Norway my clients pay me 700,- NOK (approx. £77) for a new set, 450,- NOK (approx. £49) for refill and 550,- NOK (approx. £60) for a rebalance. And I'm not the most expensive in my area, quite normal prices.

This weekend one of my clients wants fancy nail art nails and is gladly(!) paying me 950,- NOK (approx. £104) for it. Too bad I don't work more than part time because of personal issues or else I could have done it quite well :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back