Can't stand the fuss created by acrylic nail clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateykaty

Reaction score
Just had a message from a client.... two of her nails have broken and can I sort them out. So I told her yes I can and also told her the charge. She tells me that she is not happy having to pay and can I not repair them free of charge so I tell her that I can't because it wasn't me who broke them, that there is no fault with my work ( I have happy regular clients who come back time and time again) and that she needs to take more care of her nails by oiling them etc like I told her in the first place and like I had written on her aftercare sheet and which she hasn't done. Did I say the right thing? And is it me or do acrylic nails attract this sort of fuss? For every few sets I do there is always one person with a problem. Last week it was someone who decided they wished they'd had natural coloured tips after all and I again find myself standing my ground that I cannot replace at a dicounted rate as it was her decision..... does anyone else have impossible clients like this or is it just me?

Yes I'm sure we all get them, it's just some make more fuss than others. Stand your ground. It should teach them to take more care xx

On my record card that they fill in it says I am not responsible for breakages & they sign the bottom.

Excellent! Mine don't but I might write it on the bottom myself! They'll have to pick them off and say they've fallen off instead.........x

Excellent! Mine don't but I might write it on the bottom myself! They'll have to pick them off and say they've fallen off instead.........x

Lmao I luv it!

Just had a message from a client.... two of her nails have broken and can I sort them out. So I told her yes I can and also told her the charge. She tells me that she is not happy having to pay and can I not repair them free of charge so I tell her that I can't because it wasn't me who broke them, that there is no fault with my work ( I have happy regular clients who come back time and time again) and that she needs to take more care of her nails by oiling them etc like I told her in the first place and like I had written on her aftercare sheet and which she hasn't done. Did I say the right thing? And is it me or do acrylic nails attract this sort of fuss? For every few sets I do there is always one person with a problem. Last week it was someone who decided they wished they'd had natural coloured tips after all and I again find myself standing my ground that I cannot replace at a dicounted rate as it was her decision..... does anyone else have impossible clients like this or is it just me?
They are not impossible clients ... They are just clients! :lol: part of the nail business I'm afraid. The more you stand your ground, the less they complain. They learn eventually. We never expect complaints and we rarely get them. If we do, we usually find it is a new client who has been getting away with complaining to some silly technician who has given in to her. You did well!

Welcome to the service industry!

does anyone else have impossible clients like this or is it just me?

Happens all the time here....
I am most sure now it has something to do with competition or people from the industry in general.
They usually know a lot about nails watch carefully, try to discuss technical aspects and tell a lot of lies that you can spot if you are attentive.

Just the other day had one with a set of french gels. Done a very good job on her - nothing to pick at. She calls me in a week and says that the nails are awful, that the white is flaking and something else (don't remember exactly because this sort of clients usually gets very emotional on the phone and doesn't give clear explanations)

When she turned up I saw that she had filed the nails herself ! nevertherless the white wasn't flaking anywhere (she had actually filed off the sealer coat and the edges probably trying to make it flake on puprose - yes, I believe that)
I asked her what she had meant on the phone about the white and she backed off saying she didn't say anything about the white!
She had a crack in one of the nails - obviously from hitting it. And the so called "cuticle" and the nails were dry. I asked if she had used oil and she said she did. Then I said that they looked as if she didn't and she admitted that she had used some oil but - not the one I recommened!
She couldn't even remember exactly if it was oil for the cuticle at all!

Lies on top of lies and that was only what I could detect.
There others like this one too. But it's too much to write about.
((((

As Lynne says above in her post ...

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!!

Amen to that Lynne.

Its just something you have to get used to. It does get easier, stand your ground and dont give in.

I hated it to start but now I sort of politely detach when it happens. stay calm, be polite and know you are in the right.

tigi
xx

On my record card that they fill in it says I am not responsible for breakages & they sign the bottom.

Good idea... I think I will adopt this myself! Thanks xx

Working the service industry or in the public, there are ALWAYS challenging situations and clients. Whether you're a Nail tech, hairstylist, waitress, nurse, receptionist, door-to-door sale's person, bar maid...... the list goes on (I've been 5 of those LOL).

You'll have great clients and you'll have some interesting ones.

Working in the public domain is NOT for everyone and requires a thick skin.
Some have it, some don't.

It's up to you to determine if you do or don't have thick skin, and if this domain is for you.
:hug:

I won't be leaving the kitchen! It was quite hot in there yesterday though, good job it didn't melt my nails as I would have had to ask myself for a refund. Thanks for your replies I feel more confident I did the right thing now so will be even more confident next time. I have added to my aftercare sheet that I am not responsible for any breakages etc. Cheers guys!! x

we all get them.But as long as you stand your ground....
I have had a few clients(well two actually) who were indecisive over which SHELLAC colour to go for... obviously changed there mind when they have got home...pick it off and then complained about the shellac chipping....BUT ask me to re do the shellac For FREE...well excuse me..if it is such a **** product that chips that badly why would you want it done again??
The general public can be crafty unfortunately.
Dont let it get you down....as they say...
you cant please all the people all the time

ps....a friend of mine complained the other day when i charged her for her soak off prior to a new full set....i said "do you think acetone grows on trees" which made us both roar with laughter..acetoning growing on trees..lmfao but she got the hint

Another way of looking at it...
if you brought a bottle of vodka from sainsburys..and smashed it in the car park on the way out the door....would sainsburys give you a refund....or your money back???
No..because what you do with the goods you pay for after you have left the building(so to speak) is your look out.
we do the best job we can to the best of our ability and give the best after care advice we can...but what happens outside the salon is not our reasponsability

Here here! My worst client is my mum she throws a nail file at me and tells me to quickly do her infills lol. I'm so glad I'm not the only one learning to deal with this it did knock me for six at first, getting more confident about dealing with it now though. If there was a course on dealing with clients who pretend their nails fall off I would be the first to enroll x x

i dont get many complaints in my salon but one lady had a tan done and the following day said her face was patchy when she came in and i was spraying it again for her she said eee can you see the black marks around my head were i dyed my hair ive been trying to scrub it off.....i told her aftercare and not to wash etc till follwong day. some clients will do anything for a freebie i try to avoid booking them in my salon. would prefer not to have there business than the hassle from them

I now do this x

Don't let em get to you Katy x You did the right thing!

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!!

What does it have to do with heat?

Since your comment appeared after my post I am not sure what you commented on...

As for my post, it is about something else.

Latest posts

Back