Charging a client full price for a soak off when having a new set?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautybyselina

Reaction score
hi everyone, i dont really post on here but i do nosey every day through all the posts :)
i was just wondering if any of you nail techs charge less for a soak off when having a new set put on? i had a client in this afternoon who had a soak off and then i did a full set of sculptured pink and whites using nsi attraction and nail art on 2 fingers. i charge £20 for the nails,£10 for the soak off and £1 each nail for the nail art. It took me 2 hours and 15 mins to do that and I felt cheeky charging her full price for the soak off so I just knocked off the £2 for the nail art. Would any of use charge less for a soak off when they are havin a new set on?

If a client has a full set after soak off then i add £5 to the enhancement price! If they just want a soak off then its £15 which inc mini mani. HTH

I charge £15 for a soak off, but if they are having a full set applied straight after its £10.

£20 for a full set of sculptured pink and whites!! :eek:

i was just wondering if any of you nail techs charge less for a soak off when having a new set put on?

My question would have to be:

"Why are you soaking off a set to turn around and put it back on?"

The only time I would ever do a soak off personally is when a client has decided to no longer have enhancements...
A rebalance should restore the nails each and every appointment to look as good as a new set, and will also mean less trauma and damage to the natural nail... Good quality product will continue to look stunning rebalance after rebalance and a client can go as long as they want nails just having rebalances..

The other time techs seem to want to do soak offs, is when it's another techs nails to start with... This in my opinion is still a bad idea, as you have no idea how much damage is under the former set. If you soak them off and they are damaged, your new set may not hold well at all.... Still better to rebalance until the old product is eventually replaced..

So... In answer to your original question "no, I would not charge extra - simply because I would not be doing it :)"
And if it was a new client coming from another tech, I would be charging a full set price for the rebalance because I'm having to work over the 'unknown'

hth's

Ooh, I haven't come across this yet (as most of my clients seem to be natural nail ones at the moment!) but on our course we were told to infill first (2-3 weeks after) and instead of re-balancing to do a free soak off (assuming they are having a new set put on!). :eek:

I've noticed that the clients I give discounts to are the one's that usually call back later with a complaint:irked:. I've never had a client (so far) that's paid full price and then complained about her nails. I'm not sure if my bargain hunting clients do this because it's cheaper so they can come back more often or if they think I'm soft:confused: So I don't give discounts anymore

Last edited:
hi everyone, i dont really post on here but i do nosey every day through all the posts :)
i was just wondering if any of you nail techs charge less for a soak off when having a new set put on? i had a client in this afternoon who had a soak off and then i did a full set of sculptured pink and whites using nsi attraction and nail art on 2 fingers. i charge £20 for the nails,£10 for the soak off and £1 each nail for the nail art. It took me 2 hours and 15 mins to do that and I felt cheeky charging her full price for the soak off so I just knocked off the £2 for the nail art. Would any of use charge less for a soak off when they are havin a new set on?

I also use NSI attraction and at the moment my prices are:

Full set Acrylic Nails £15.00
Infills/Re-Balance £ 8.00
Replacement Nail £ 1.50
Removal £ 8.00
Removal & Nails £20.00

So really I charge £3 less for a removal than I would normally. However i have only had to do this once, as i encourage the infills more as its better for the natural nail and cheaper for the client :)

I think you should have set prices for each so you dont have to make up prices on the spot or end up feeling bad for charging a client for something as its more of a set pricelist then.

thanx everyone for your replys. i am now going to charge less for a soak off when having a new set on as like you say im not doing the mini mani with it,well im still doing the cuticle work but im not doing the nail treatment so im debating wether to charge £5 or £7 as a lot of the time it can take me up to 30mins to soak off! The reason I soaked off her nails is because she had purely pink masque an white nails and wanted some sparkley red sculptures. I do feel like I'm slightly undercharging myself but there are a quite a few salons around my area that charge between £18 and £25 for tip an overlay and get them done in 20mins and be out the door where I take around 1 hour an a half for sculptured nails! I still offer tip and overlay but I havnt done any in over a year as my sculptures are the same price.
Sorry for the essay lol

i have to Envy. why are you soaking of the set to put a new 1 back on?
for 1. its a waist of time!
2. waist of product that you soaking off and putting back on
and 3. its pointless
you cause more damange to the clients nail and also over exsposure of the clients hand to acetone. you should just be able to file the enhancement smoooth to the nail and just rebalance the enhancement by placing product at the bottom!
this saving lots of time and product and money! makes you and the client happy! i was told always reblance never soak off and replace! xx

i have to Envy. why are you soaking of the set to put a new 1 back on?
for 1. its a waist of time!
2. waist of product that you soaking off and putting back on
and 3. its pointless
you cause more damange to the clients nail and also over exsposure of the clients hand to acetone. you should just be able to file the enhancement smoooth to the nail and just rebalance the enhancement by placing product at the bottom!
this saving lots of time and product and money! makes you and the client happy! i was told always reblance never soak off and replace! xx

hi ameliar, i was soaking off because she wanted different nails,she had nsi attraction purely pink mask and white on and allready had 3 rebalances on them an she wnted some sparkley red ones on for xmas this is why i soaked off.i do have a set price for a soak off on my list at £10 but it does not say includes mini mani I just do it anyway so was debating wether or not to do it any cheaper at all when havin a new set put on

I have to agree with envy on this one I very rarely do soak offs if ever as there simply is no need no matter how many rebalances they have had, most of my clients have rebalance every 2-3 weeks and have had the same enhancments on for over 2 yrs which amounts to 40-50 rebalances and they obv are now having NNO.

If you want to change clolour then just take down really thin and apply new product and if client wants new colour again next appt just remove all the product untill you reach original product . I have client whom changes her nails every 2 week I simply do clear or sheer pink to begin as a base or even p&w then next appt prepare for rebalance and apply new colour /design then remove on next appt if changing simple.

Less trauma less messing less time , why should clients PAY for a soak off AND then a new set when it's you as the techs choice to do this not theirs If you are doing this why are you making them pay more when there is simply no need to soak off perfectly good set of nails.

I hate doing new sets tbh I love doing rebalances it gives me so much satisfaction and always lol better on the eye to me than new set and clients ate used to them as they have had them for a while so they are like second skin, no lift no cracks etc just problem free rebalances nice and then so no spending ages debulking, if I were to soak these off and reapply new set I would gaurntee there would be problems on next appointment.

totally agree thats what i would do! like i said says saves money and time. just to file the the white powder on the nails then apply your glittery red or what ever els it was that she was having over it. can you see how it makes more sence to do that then soak off and a new set? and i hate soaking of nails to it makes me sad to see all my hard work melting away and its messy to!

also another good idea is do you use Shellac?
i have one client that loves coloured tips! she has a different colour every 2weeks!
so what i do now is just do a natural pink nail which i rebalance then after ive filed it up and ready to buff i then apply Shellac base coat over the hole nail then apply the colour that the client picked as a french tip and then the Shellac top coat!
this is great because it provides the nail with a really good shine for the whole two weeks and the coloured tip look great! and also saves you buying lots of different coloured powders as you can use the Shellac for natural nails to :) xx

thank you all for your advice but wouldnt the nails be white on the back and then glittery red on the front? aswell the pink mask i was using the client wanted the purely pink which is more see-through.an also im not really that confident in doing infills and backfills so for me that was easier to do to soak off and new set.im going to have to get more practice at doing rebalances as it will save me time like use say

Latest posts

Back