Charging for Nail Art

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdskora

Reaction score
Hi all,

I find it hard to charge my clients for Nail art..
Some of them even have the hide to tell me they come to me becuase i give them nail art and the other nail techs around wont do it or dont have time to do it..... I am not even that good at it...

I saw a great idea for displaying nail art on the aussie site.. A girl there had an MDF wooded flower and filled the petals with nail tips .. it looked amazing..
I wonder if i should do something like this and have each petal a difference price depending on how mcuh detail went into the art etc.

What do you guys do about charging?.

X Mel

I totally think we shoud charge for nail art, as it requires extra time.

I charge from 0.50 pence per nail depending on the difficulty.

hope this helps:hug:

Nail Art should be charged for ...... not only for time ..... but for "talent", many don't understand charging for talent.
I charge extra for French (as painting a French is a form of art) ......

If they don't wanna pay (or appreciate it), they can have a go at doing it themselves (then we see the appreciation level raise).

I've never met anyone that charges the "true value" of nail art (that includes time and artistic ability), many techs undersell themselves just because they enjoy doing it.

I gave up doing nailart in the late 80's, nobody appreciates the value of it, and those that do, want it for next to nothing. I may as well do another infill or fullset.

Doing magazine covers is a flash in the pan too.... sure you get the acknowledgment, but when somebody phones and you quote them $150 for that same artwork, they choke at the price ..... clients expect way too much for too little.

I see truly talented techs undersell themselves daily in here. But they still do it because they enjoy it (even glitter acrylics is an artform).

When you charge accordingly, you will be amazed how few clients actually want it.

In my opinion anything that takes time you charge money. Would they work for their employer for free, I don't think so!

Regarding pricing, you should have:
  • a minimum price for one nail (if only a few nails painted)
  • a minimum price for ten nails
  • Price accordingly depending on time taken and inticrateness (if thats a word) either per nail or per ten nails whichever is appropriate.
Don't feel guilty for charging you are a skilled professional and MUST charge accordingly.

The only exception to the rule is when you are offering free nail art as an incentive to promote other services. Hope that helps.

anne xx

i think You should definitely put some price for the nail art.
Up to me, there is no any fixed price for the nail art. everything depends on the client. what he wants ...
but thinking about that i realise, that it took me a lot of time and money to make beautiful nails. So why should i offer them for free ? :hug:

I always charge for nail art,
nail art materials don't come that cheap and it always takes much longer to do the fiddly work,
i have all my art on boards with the charge for 1 nail or 10 nails,
i like your idea with the flower petals,
give it a go hun, what have you to lose :hug:

you do have to charge a little if only for the products as they are not free and you time and knoledge if worth paying for im sure people wont mind if they enjoy seeing what you can do your board sounds like the perfect idea

adell

I dont charge for simple art, it takes 5 mins to do a simple flower or some flicks, holly or a glitter stripper under a french, I think it puts me a bit ahead in the stakes when clients are looking to have their nails done and I use water based acrylics for painting modles its the best i have used and cost somehting like £1.50 a bottle and last for monthhs and months. Glitter fades or more ornate work with shell or glittery bits etc I do charge for.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.. I will need to get strict on these clients of mine.. everyone is out for something free these days..

Nailzoo... very true.. the time it takes to do a great set of nail art nails I could have done another client.. I guess 10mins x 6 clients a day add up at the end of teh week

I will have a go at the nail art display board.. will take me ages to fill and when i get there i will post a photo..

thanks again
Mel

Yes I agree people these days do not appreciate the time and patience that we nail techs take to do nail art...They want to pay little or no money for the art......So what i had to do was put my prices up so the client can see whether it be for 1 nail or 10. I also make sure that i am very serious when it comes to the work i do and my money. So I'm not say n be rude about it, but just let the clients know this is a form of real art, which cost money......:)

After reading these posts I think I should put my price for nail art UP!

I charge less for the nail art if a customer gets the art done along with another service, mainly b/c very few want nail art (can you believe that!!) & I am so keen do it!

A nail bar down the road from me charges $5 per nail & they do the most basic art. Personally I think that is steep...

But... perhaps they have the right idea?!?

Hi all,

I find it hard to charge my clients for Nail art..
Some of them even have the hide to tell me they come to me becuase i give them nail art and the other nail techs around wont do it or dont have time to do it..... I am not even that good at it...

I saw a great idea for displaying nail art on the aussie site.. A girl there had an MDF wooded flower and filled the petals with nail tips .. it looked amazing..
I wonder if i should do something like this and have each petal a difference price depending on how mcuh detail went into the art etc.

What do you guys do about charging?.

X Mel

Hi I charge 50p per nail art depending on what they have....
Hope this helps a bit..x:lol:

Well OF COURSE a nail technician charges for nail art!
Do some people actually believe that they get their glitter nails with stars and flowers for free?! :eek:

It´s our work, and by working we get paid. The materials for nail art cost money, our time is money - why on Earth would it be a free service? (Special promotions excluded).

I charge depending on what I am creating. Not by time (or at least it is included in the pricing). For fench maincure, colourful manicure or glitter manicure it´s 10 € extra. For a couple of diamonds or flowers per finger it´s 1 € extra. For diamond rows on all ten nails it´s 15 € extra (as this takes some serious time to create). Etc...
Then again, I have understood people in England pay a lot less for nail services than here in Finland. My prices are on the lower side, but that is due to the fact that I am still considered as freshly trained or in training.
That however does not mean that I would work for free. :)

xx

I charge for nail-art. And I think you can ‘to teach’ clients to appreciate nail-art, as well as your time and artistic ability. It’s best to take it gradually with them. Let’s say, you start with offering some simple, quick-to-do but stylish art at low prices. And then, when they get used to the idea that nail-art is an extra service, you can start showing them something more sophisticated – they will see the difference, they will realize that more time goes into it and they will feel it only fair to pay more.
The second important thing is that you have to monitor your clients’ reactions, study their tastes. When I started doing nail-art I realized that there is ‘commercial’ art – art that will sell – and art that I, personally, like however its beauty escapes most other people, so to say. ))
You have to offer them something they will go wow about. If they are happy, if they feel that that’s the thing they need and want, they will pay more willingly.

Last edited:
At my salon we charge a flat rate of $1 a diamond.

Other than that, I have to "guesstimate" what I should charge a client for my "artistic abilities".

Usually $5 a nail, but I do charge by the level of dificulty. Depends if they want a simple flower or a rendering of a Picaso!

Latest posts

Back