Charging your own mom

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you charge your mom

• Total voters
I wouldn't charge my mum (not that she has her nails done often) after all she's done for me the least I can do is do her nails for her.

When I started out I made the decision to charge everyone full rate apart from my dear mama, who'd get free treatments and get charged cost for products.
After a year or so we had to have a frank exchange of views about it all because she would bring her friends and expect me to treat them for free too!
Now I'm a bit more established she gets free treatments and products, and my good friend Sharon gets pretty much everything free too. Sharon has a PhD in law, and was an incredible tower of strength to us when we were involved in a vexatious law suit recently.

The thought of charging my mum makes me feel sick. She raised me. She paid for the clothes on my back and food in my belly. She paid for my kits when I done beauty at college. She was there to hold me when I cried, to clean up my cut when I fell over.
No way would I charge my mum!!

hell no never ever she didnt charge me to give me birth so why would i charge her? never I love my mum more than anything i would never do such a thing like that... shes my all and to the person i love id give anything and do anything...

hell no never ever she didnt charge me to give me birth so why would i charge her? never I love my mum more than anything i would never do such a thing like that... shes my all and to the person i love id give anything and do anything...

Awww thats so nice it nearly made me cry! I never charge my mum or close family for anything either. Xx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Not all of us have had such lovely and supportive mums. Some of us have had mums who took half their Saturday job money, so they learned the hard way about budgeting.
Some of them made us have our hair cut at the barbers because, well, your hair's so greasy there's no point having anything other than short back and sides, is there?

I think it's lovely that so many of you are close to your mum's but that's not the case for everyone.

edited personal info

I don't ask for money but when she offers it, I accept and I don't feel guilty for it. :wink2:

Last edited:
Not all of us have had such lovely and supportive mums. Some of us have had mums who took half their Saturday job money, so they learned the hard way about budgeting.
Some of them made us have our hair cut at the barbers because, well, your hair's so greasy there's no point having anything other than short back and sides, is there?

Good point Lynne, I never thought about situations like that!xxx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

I've never charged my mum and I simply couldn't. There's a lot of personal issues I have about my mum, but at the end of the day she's my mum and it feels wrong for me to charge her.

Each to their own though, I think it's down to what you personally feel is the right decision for you. For me I just wouldn't feel right charging her or my mother in law.

No. I could never charge my mum. xx

I would absolutely charge my mum and not just for the cost of products. Not that she'd ever lower herself to letting me do a treatment anyway (or that we could be in the same room as each other for the 45 minutes it would take without her saying somethng spiteful and making me cry).

My mother-in-law on the other hand gets everything free as does my sister in law.

All my family and close friends pay 50% ,my mum would not let me do her for free and always gives me more than needed and won't take change ,i will try and do her blow dry for free on xmas eve but I know it won't happen :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

My mum always insist I say no she gives me that look and I say if you must give it to the kids!

Mil on the other hand would take the pee if I didn't charge her a little she has previously asked me for a blowdry on Boxing Day!

Last edited:
My family expect me do for nothing except my aunty!! they want organise pamper day about 6 of us but guess whos providing products and treatments for free!!! Wheres my pampering?? so im avoiding the subject when we meet saying il have to check my diary. I feel bad - but they would be enjoying themselves whilst i knacker myself out - families eh!!

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

I dont' think there's a straight answer here. or a right or wrong one.

Everyone's situation is different and its personal to each.

Not as black white as it may seem to some.

Im lucky that my Mum has been a star and helped me all the way though, I know others that havent had that same support.

My family expect me do for nothing except my aunty!! they want organise pamper day about 6 of us but guess whos providing products and treatments for free!!! Wheres my pampering?? so im avoiding the subject when we meet saying il have to check my diary. I feel bad - but they would be enjoying themselves whilst i knacker myself out - families eh!!

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

That's why you should set a price tell them and if they don't want to pay it thay can go elsewhere and pay full price ,i don't deal well with people that want things for nothing and take the pee :-D

No would never charge my mum but my sis and I have a salon and she is always popping in when its busy and doing couple hours reception, teas/coffees, generally running around after us and all the clients. Absolutely couldnt manage without her!
Also she does shellac and never charges me so I prob get more freebies than she does. :)

All my family and close friends pay 50% ,my mum would not let me do her for free and always gives me more than needed and won't take change ,i will try and do her blow dry for free on xmas eve but I know it won't happen :-D

same here, my mum, sister and dad all pay me 50%, i always try and do it for free but it results in someone shoving money under my door x

Never ever have I charged my mum!

She's a hairdresser and she's definitely never charged me!

:Love::Love:

im part of the small minority that does, but only cost of product which really isnt that much but im just starting out and have payed out alot of money

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back