cheaper xmas pressies?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachirv

Reaction score
its me again. hehe.

i realy really cannot afford christmas this much. i am on a very very tight budget and have approx 20 to spend on each person and about 15 people to buy for. ive got my daughter sorted, but everyone else im completely stumped for.

i am one of these people who would rather recieve nothing at all if it meant that all of my friends and family had lovely presents off me. my fave time of the year is doing ym xmas shopping and then i spend like a day wrapping them all up and making them look pretty. can anybody reccomend any good dieas for getting more for my money this year?i thought about doing little mini hampers for my girlfriends with about 10 items in like a lip gloss, nail polish, knickers, socks, a book, and make it look all pretty? and i thought about making truffles too but i dont no how expensive this would be and how long they would last for. any ideas? xx xx

I think making presents is a fab idea. Truffles aren't expensive to make, nor are peppermint creams. Or how about finding a photo of each family member that you love and buying an inexpensive frame for it and give it with a card explaining why the photo has significance for you?

Or if you have an understanding family add up what you would have spent (or what you can afford) and give it to charity then give each family member/friend a note explaining that you wanted to give something different this year?

Christmas should be about who you are with rather than what you give or recieve, kids excepted of course! Well done you for thinking creatively.

I've noticed that loads of places are doing 3 for 2 offers at the moment, including Boots. I think the hamper idea is lovely, but that it could get expensive. I've always found that buying a gift set looks impressive and doesn't cost that much. You can get some really nice gift packs of smellies in Boots for £20, and they are on 3 for 2 offers. They don't just do smellies either, but there's a whole range for men/kids etc.

I might be alone in this but I don't think there is much thought in those off the shelf 3 for 2 things, although I do understand it saves a few bob. Your idea of making little hampers is a great idea. I normally do something like this for our friends and family and just personalise them for whoever they are for and what they like. They do look a lot more than what they are.

Handmade sweeties or biscuits are always well received and you can buy pretty tins and tissue to put them in. A mug with hot chocolate powder and marshmallows is another thought. I normally make tablet, truffles and a few american style candies.

As for other contents to put in the hampers, some of those bargain type book shops have some good books on a whole range of subjects as well as lots if little knick knacks. Candles, beauty and nail related items are always a winner as are little bags or purses. Now when it comes to guys that is a bit more work, I usually stick in a miniture of some sort, chocolate, a book and I look for whacky things, last year I found an ice cube tray which was full size dentures.

Folks always comment about these types of pressies, how thoughtful they are and are nicely wrapped and I like you get a lot of pleasure out of giving.

Last edited:
in the salon atm we are selling charm bracelets and links bracletes for £10 and £15 they come in a little gift pouch and look worth so much more than thay sell for! you could try to find something like that for the ladies you have to buy for? x

I think I saw Kirstie Allsop making truffles on her 'Homemade Christmas' series last year, think it'd be worth checking the Channel 4 website for the recipe, she made soaps and all sorts! Think I might just have a look too, I love giving personal presents too, I sell FM perfumes in the salon which start at £7.49, needless to say most people will end up with those too!

what are FM perfumes polished? are they a good seller? x

Yes, they're excellent, will PM you with the prices/commission details.

I think the hamper idea is great, I've done this before and everyone loved them!

My sister and I made a hamper for my grandparents last year and it was so much fun to do and only cost us about £20 between us. We got a big basket and went round sainsburys and bought things like jams and christmas pud, nice biscuits etc and then we wrapped it all in celophane and put a big bow on it and they loved it! Think i'm going to do it again this year!

As I come from a large family (I one of 6) we have stoped buying presents for adults and only buy for the kids, the same with my friends. But unfortunatly my nieces and nephews and friends kids are mostly 10 plus and this year they are getting money. I feel really cheated out my christmas shopping as that and wrapping up the pressies is one of my best things about christmas. I think your idea of hampers is brilliant and they don't have to be expensive, you can easily stick to your budget. I think they sound like great fun, may have to make mum and dad one.

Annie x

simples...get your ass down to Primark and it will cost you less than a tenner a head...may not last long..after 1 wash ...but will look good.:hug:

To be fair its not how much you spend on someone that really matters at the end of the day...its the thought that counts so I always try and home in on the person I am buying for and buy them something that I know they have an interest in...except for those that like diamonds and pearls of course :eek::lol::smack:

Good luck and im sure you will get them sorted one way or another under your budget ...leaving a bit to treat yourself to something this Christmas....OMG is it that soon already :eek::lol::lol:

I think it would be lovely to recieve homemade treats!
Homemade peppermint creams & coconut ice, or cupcakes would go down a treat.

I love the photo idea too, Asda do good things like magnets, coasters, placemats etc that are very reasonable.

How about giving everyone a voucher from you for one of your treatments, would be inexpensive for you, just cost your time, there would be no ackward "charging friends/family" situations, everyone loves a pamper & no doubt they would use them in Jan/Feb when you (like everyone) have your quieter times.
You could gift wrap them & spend time on them like you said you usally like to do too!
And to top it all off - you would have spent practically nothing!!!!
Its got to be a no brainer! :lol:
x:hug:x

I think making presents is a fab idea. Truffles aren't expensive to make, nor are peppermint creams. Or how about finding a photo of each family member that you love and buying an inexpensive frame for it and give it with a card explaining why the photo has significance for you?

Or if you have an understanding family add up what you would have spent (or what you can afford) and give it to charity then give each family member/friend a note explaining that you wanted to give something different this year?

Christmas should be about who you are with rather than what you give or recieve, kids excepted of course! Well done you for thinking creatively.

I love your ideas, Vetty! :hug:

I have a lot of folks who we forgo a gift and give the money we would have spent to charity, then we go out to dinner. When it comes right down to it, I'd rather spend time with my BFF than receive a gift from her.

Homemade gifts are da bomb, too! Cookies, candies and craft items are all good ideas and don't cost much.

Good luck, Rachel! :hug:

awww thaks you so much for all your ideas. yesturday i didnt have a clue what to get people, and now i am lost with choice!
i definately think im going to go with the hamper idea for most people. and collin i LOVE you primark idea. although i will have to see where is closest to me as we dont have on in carlisle and i am also very embarrassed to say i have never ever been in a primark shop. i may well end up spending a fortune on myself! oh well, why not, it is christmas after all! xxx

Oh Rach - if you never been to Primark, hide your cards hun as you will overpspend unless you are very strict with yourself lolol

I always make my gran a hamper with heavy goods in that she wouldn't normally be able to carry - soap podwder and tins etc.

Friends get a little personal gift from me - always something cheap but something that they can look at and know it was offme after the Christmas rush :)

Love the thought of home mad gifts though - have done that for a few years with various friends and they are always well received :)

i did this one year for my single friends ... a girls night in gift box / hamper

dvd - the notebook / the holiday ...
candles
chocolates
face pack
eye masks - la senza do some gorgeous ones for £5

kx

its me again. hehe.

i realy really cannot afford christmas this much. i am on a very very tight budget and have approx 20 to spend on each person and about 15 people to buy for. ive got my daughter sorted, but everyone else im completely stumped for.

i am one of these people who would rather recieve nothing at all if it meant that all of my friends and family had lovely presents off me. my fave time of the year is doing ym xmas shopping and then i spend like a day wrapping them all up and making them look pretty. can anybody reccomend any good dieas for getting more for my money this year?i thought about doing little mini hampers for my girlfriends with about 10 items in like a lip gloss, nail polish, knickers, socks, a book, and make it look all pretty? and i thought about making truffles too but i dont no how expensive this would be and how long they would last for. any ideas? xx xx

awww thaks you so much for all your ideas. yesturday i didnt have a clue what to get people, and now i am lost with choice!
i definately think im going to go with the hamper idea for most people. and collin i LOVE you primark idea. although i will have to see where is closest to me as we dont have on in carlisle and i am also very embarrassed to say i have never ever been in a primark shop. i may well end up spending a fortune on myself! oh well, why not, it is christmas after all! xxx

There is a Primark in Newcastle, nothing like the good old Metro centre for a shopping trip! Lol :)

lol...the trick is to spend a little on them and a LOL on you:eek::lol::hug:

Latest posts

Back