Cheeky new client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukic

Reaction score
So I've just had an email for a new client asking for about £110 worth of treatments. In the same sentence she asked for a 10% discount as she's on a budget (as we all are). It's irked me a bit as she's never used me before and I suppose if you don't ask you don't get. Should I give the discount do you think? I'm only considering it as it's over £100. Ugh, I just don't want to open the floodgates for regular discounts.

Hello

I personally would politely refuse but reinforce how professional my treatments were and invite her to book in with me.

If i wasnt overly busy i would. Id rather do a slightly discounted package than sit there bored. It is only a pound out of every 10, she may well become a regular. As long as you make it clear it was a 1 off discount for being a new customer (with quite a large spend!) I dont see the harm.

If you have clients waiting for same app willing to pay full price, then tell her your prices are not negotiable ;) hth xx

Sent from my LG-E430 using SalonGeek mobile app

I wouldn't if your regulars find out, and clients talk, they will be very miffed!

I would refuse, but explain to her that you do a loyalty scheme which she will join with her first appointment. Only if you do offer a loyalty scheme, of course.

Or explain to her that your prices have been carefully worked out to offer the highest quality products and treatments to all clients so you cannot compromise on this but you sometimes have offers throughout the year.

I agree with Ch-ela. I love loyalty and referral programs. I think that repeat business should be rewarded. But I also do package deals - so depending on what she wants done, I would probably make my $110. worth of services $100. I always make sure that my clients think that they are getting a good value. I keep my skills up and am always learning, but I keep my prices affordable. This way I can keep myself busy with clients I love rather than just having to take anyone. (I hope that doesn't sound snobby.)

Thanks ladies, very valid points. I think it's annoyed me as she's a new client. If it had been someone who'd used me even once before and was like 'I'm going on holiday and I'm a bit strapped for cash, any chance I could get a cheeky discount' I wouldn't hesitate. It's because she's never even met me or used my services that it's annoyed me. Maybe I'm over thinking it, I'll still be making a £100. I'll sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning! Thanks again :)

A therapist friend of mine told me recently she had a lady email her who was getting married. Blah blah she wanted a discount. When I checked my email she had also emailed me but my friend had already agreed to go at a slightly discounted price. When she got there the lady said she only had £55 and not £60 as agreed so just be prepared that whatever you agree she probably has plans for her own set price!!!

Do you currently offer any discounts or special offers?

I give a £5 discount when spending over £55 with 2+ treatments, so I would offer that. x

That lady sounds like me....but it wasn't! ha

Can you lose £100 for worrying about £10 - if you can don't do it - if £100 means more to you than the £10 you are worrying about then do it..

I'm pretty sure she will find someone very easily that would say yes immediately and I'm confident they would be qualified, insured and very good at what they do.

That's nothing I had a new client text me on Monday wanting treatments for free, I had never meet her it started off she wanted a free consultation, but was unclear what she wanted a consultation for, then she was asking the price of spray tan so I told her then she said what do I get free, when I told her I did not do anything free, so she then asked for a job. So all in all a very confusing text message.

Kirsty

As previous posts maybe worth loosing 10 for gaining 100? Just make sure she knows it's a good will gesture which you don't normally do as you have other loyalty schemes! Maybe she could turn into a regular client just for thst 10 pound loss! I can see where you are coming from as she is a new client, but it never hurts to ask ;) good luck!! Xx

So I've just had an email for a new client asking for about £110 worth of treatments. In the same sentence she asked for a 10% discount as she's on a budget (as we all are). It's irked me a bit as she's never used me before and I suppose if you don't ask you don't get. Should I give the discount do you think? I'm only considering it as it's over £100. Ugh, I just don't want to open the floodgates for regular discounts.

Christ id love to be on a budget spending 100 on treatments, which beggars the question if she can afford 100 why can't she afford 110?

I'm sorry but whether you need the booking or not I would refuse the discount. Otherwise i might pop in to John Lewis tomorrow and ask "'ere that nice dress you got love, label says 110 but I'll give you a hundred that alright? ". And when the sales assistant pulls herself up straight after laughing so hard she's bent over double, I believe she'd give me a firm no too. Why are you and your business any different my lovely.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

You could always word it that as it's her 1st appointment you will give her the discount as a welcome, but make it clear discounts and offers only apply to certain things, loyalty cars, referrals etc :) Christmas is coming I wouldn't turn down £100 for the sake of a tenner

Ok, so I've decided to not do the treatment. I'm having a super busy week as it is. It's more the principal of it all. I know £100 is a £100 but I don't like people dictating my business terms. I told her I run promotions throughout the year and only really discount on pamper parties not for multiple treatments. This is also shaping up to be a busy December for once so although I hate turning clients away, I also don't want clients who will be constantly asking for discounts. :/

Happyfeet you summed it up for me, that's exactly how I feel about it.

Good for you! I'm pleased you did, loyal client deserve discounts not chancers. I doubt she would have become a regular, I suspect she just goes round trying to get the cheapest deal.

From my experience these people rarely turn out to be regulars and often a load of hassle. I've had people ask to share a vial of bx, have extra areas for free etc etc, it becomes very draining.

I never discount as I do a refer a friend scheme, birthday vouchers and Xmas voucher for January and that is enough. Infact I'm considering stopping the birthday voucher scheme.

I think if you had discounted her she would have told all her friends and then they would be haggling too and remember we set our prices at what we are worth so she clearly doesn't think you are worth your rates, the cheeky mare. Sometimes I get so angry about this kind of thing I want to reply well I know you've worked all month for xx amount of salary but I think you only deserve x amount instead!

How would that go down I wonder :)

I had a request from a lady to go on my mailing list. She had never been a client. The first email she got was straight after I had moved to my new premises. On that email it reminded my clients to use their £10 vouchers. These were thank yous to my existing clients for following me to my new salon. This lady booked online for about £50 of treatments. She then emailed me to say "in your email it said about using our £10 vouchers. I haven't received one. Please confirm I will have a £10 discount on the treatments I have booked" I was initially confused then realised that of course she hasn't had one. She had never been to me. After much swearing (f***ing cheek etc) I agreed. I emailed her and explained that the discount was to all my existing customers as a thank you but as a good will gesture I would honour a £10 discount. Needless to say she came for her treatments, told me about the bargains she gets and has never been back.

We live and learn. Well done you for sticking to your guns x

Years ago, before I qualified, I went to a spa with my sisters, my mum and a few friends. We were in the Jacuzzi and two girls were talking very loudly about ‘how to get things for free’. Turns out they always ask for a discount, always complain after treatments and ‘you have to keep going until they give in’. It stuck with me throughout my training- some people are just chancers!

Don't let it bother you. When you say no, it should mean no. People who ask for discounts are usually in the something for nothing category. Once you give a client discounts out of your promotional seasons, they will always expect it. She also thinks that you will pocket all of the money she pays you. Tell her about how many ways that £100 has to be split....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back