Cleaning tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGordon91

Reaction score
So I gots to thinking whilst tidying (I know don't think too much my brain might explode ;) ) that the one thing I miss about my gran is being able to pick her brain over cleaning tips. I've lived myself for a while but it's nice to hear other tips which may be useful!

So here's mine!

If your doggie wees inside clean it with surgical spirit that's diluted with water as this will stop them from being able to smell it and they won't do it (there) again.

Citrus and flowery smells cats hate and can cause them to pee. Zaflora is really bad for causing cats to pee as many might know citrus can kill cats so hence this reaction. So steering away from these smells will stop cats going daft :p

Cream cleaner is the best thing for bath stains like box hair dye with a bit of elbow grease in the mix (that might be obvious but still )

Then the old good one. Newspaper to get the smears and streaks off windows!

Anyone got any other tips? :)

Great thread!

For cat pee, mix 32 oz. hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 tsp. blue Dawn dish washing liquid. Mix gently then put it in a spray bottle. This has saved my carpet and sofa. NOTE: if you don't use the whole mixture, do not store covered. Mine exploded. Keep the lid on your container loose.

To get cat pee out of clothing/bedding, add 1/4 cup (or more) of apple cider vinegar to your regular laundry soap. Voila...no more cat pee smell!

The best 'cloth' for washing windows? Newspaper...yes you read that right. It give a streak free/lint free finish. I crumple the newspaper and clean with Windex or similar window cleaner.

One last 'tip': if hubby is coming home and you haven't had time to clean, dump some Lysol or similar pine smelling cleaning liquid into the toilet. At least it'll SMELL like you've been cleaning. :wink2:

The other day I used dermalogica precleanse to get mascara out of my cream carpet!!!

If you get chewing gum on a item of clothing, pop some kitchen paper over it and iron the kitchen paper, the heat will lift it onto the paper x

If you get chewing gum on a item of clothing, pop some kitchen paper over it and iron the kitchen paper, the heat will lift it onto the paper x

Oohh I love that one !

I love to aggy n Kim it lol I find flash gel amazing <3 anybody got any tips for getting a lot of mascara off painted wallpaper without ruining it ( 3 yr old got mummy's make-up :(

I love to aggy n Kim it lol I find flash gel amazing <3 anybody got any tips for getting a lot of mascara off painted wallpaper without ruining it ( 3 yr old got mummy's make-up :(

What about one of those magic sponges ? Apparently hand sanitiser works as well and give it a wee rub ?

Dunno what a magic sponge is but I do have baby sponges n spray n gel sanitiser I give it ago thank u

I saw on tv the other week screw a slice of bread up and rub on the wall over unwanted marks x

Coca cola down the toilet! Saw it on a tv programme about this girl who had ocd and used to buy like 10 big bottles of coke just to pour down the toilet to clean it!

<3 Stephanie <3

The It Works cleaning blocks are brilliant (I got mine from QVC) They don't need any chemicals.
Also, I like to lightly wipe essential oils over the tops of radiators...lovely smell! Don't do it where a pet might lick them off though. I also finish the kitchen tops off with lemon or lime essential oils, diluted.

The It Works cleaning blocks are brilliant (I got mine from QVC) They don't need any chemicals.
Also, I like to lightly wipe essential oils over the tops of radiators...lovely smell! Don't do it where a pet might lick them off though. I also finish the kitchen tops off with lemon or lime essential oils, diluted.

I don't have radiators as such. I have electric storage heaters :( so it's candles for me but that's such a good tip! Xx

To remove biro from anything, spray it with hairspray. I don't know how or why it works, but it does.

To remove biro from anything, spray it with hairspray. I don't know how or why it works, but it does.

I'm going to try this now on my Ted Baker cream leather wallet.

If you stain your clothes with food/drink e.g. pasta sauce use some cheap shaving foam asap.
Rub it onto the stain generously and put in the wash takes the stain right out :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Coca cola down the toilet! Saw it on a tv programme about this girl who had ocd and used to buy like 10 big bottles of coke just to pour down the toilet to clean it!

<3 Stephanie <3

Think how clean our tummies must be :eek:

Washing powder (grains) removes the white hard water film from shower cubicles and baths
Learnt that one from 'how clean is your house' programme !

not really cleaning per say, but shaving foam worked into a bathroom mirror ( when I say worked in, I mean get some elbow grease into it til it's buffed shiny) keeps it fog free for a couple of weeks

I don't know if this is really bad but I do it anyway !
I clean my shower glass with harpic toilet cleaner only a small amount and wipe over it gets rid of any water scum with little effort and it doesn't smear X

Latest posts

Back