Cleanse, tone & Moisturise

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boop

Reaction score
Hi,
Im at evening college at the moment studying beauty consultancy & cosmetic make up VTCT L2. We are taught how to cleanse, tone & moisturise, but obviously not a full facial. Our tutor has told us we could still offer this (the cleanse, tone & moisturie - not a facial) to clients once we are qualified. I think this is a good idea and am thinking about doing this. So my question is what skin care ranges could anyone reccomend? I am thinking about Clarins because i love this myself and its so well know(i know its also expensive but ive read so many threads that have indicated its better to buy a well known brand and i think its worth it). Obviously i wouldn't need huge amounts at all so i would buy from a store (at full reatil price) just the items i needed, rather than have and account with them and a minimum order of several thousand! Does anyone do this? and would i have to have permission from Clarins to do this or not??
If anyone knows, any advice would be fab. and also how much would you charge for just a cleanse tone & moisturise???? xxx
Thanks xxxx

HI Boop,

I must be at the same kind of stage at college as you,so very interested in this thread. Any advice anyone?
Thanks
Sam

When I was at college, doing Level 2 Beauty, I did facials for a 5 long months as there was so much to it. To be honest, I've never heard of only cleanse, tone, moisturise being taught at college.

The normal course timetable for a facial module is
Knowledge about skin types (the basics are oily, normal, combination, or dry/sensitive). However this has been expanded lately.
You need to know about what product does what, for example, why do we wear a day cream, or a night one, or why do we use cleansing milk etc.

Even a basic facial has far more to it than just cleanse, tone moisturise.

As for products, there are loads you can choose from. Just search for facial skin care on here and you will find loads.

I presently use Susan Molyneux.

When I was at college, doing Level 2 Beauty, I did facials for a 5 long months as there was so much to it. To be honest, I've never heard of only cleanse, tone, moisturise being taught at college.

The normal course timetable for a facial module is
Knowledge about skin types (the basics are oily, normal, combination, or dry/sensitive). However this has been expanded lately.
You need to know about what product does what, for example, why do we wear a day cream, or a night one, or why do we use cleansing milk etc.

Even a basic facial has far more to it than just cleanse, tone moisturise.

As for products, there are loads you can choose from. Just search for facial skin care on here and you will find loads.

I presently use Susan Molyneux.

I understand what you are saying about knowing why each product is used and that there is more to it than just cleanse, tone & moisturise but i used to work for clinique and had alot of training with them. I know all products are different but there was alot of skin training involved to, not just the product trianing and beacause of this i would feel competant offering just a cleanse, tone & moisturise, as i understand the different skin types and why different products would be used.
i also started an A&P course a couple of years ago, unfortunately didnt complete it but did cover the skin & hair module which is most useful to me now.
I wouldn't try and fool people into thinking this was a facial as i know it takes alot of training, and i havnt done that.

I include cleanse, tone & moisturise during make up application but never on its own, have never had anyone express any interest in it either.

I do remember it being offered at the salon I worked at before for free but that was mainly for retailing products and I can't imagine any of the clients would have paid for it.

If I was going to charge for it then it would be no more than £5 and I would probably allow that to be redeemable against products.

It depends what you want to offer clients with the treatment. Whether it will just be a CTM prior to make up application or a treatment in it's own right.

Also would you want to retail the products at all? If you do then I wouldn't go for something that people can buy themselves from a department store.

I will be using Eve Taylor which has very reasonable prices and is a professional only product.

hth:hug:

It depends what you want to offer clients with the treatment. Whether it will just be a CTM prior to make up application or a treatment in it's own right.

Also would you want to retail the products at all? If you do then I wouldn't go for something that people can buy themselves from a department store.

I will be using Eve Taylor which has very reasonable prices and is a professional only product.

hth:hug:

Hi, thanks for your reply, i wouldnt be really interested in reatiling the products. We were told at college to include this before makeup application but then was told it is best to have it at least an hour before makeup is applied, or even the day before bridal makeup. i was thinking of offering it on its own tbh but still including it before makeup. Thats why i was thinking of using clarins so it wasnt just bog standed and a bit more luxurious (sp?) but not as time consuming as a facial. Maybe there isnt much call for this? anyone else??? xxx

You could have a look at local salons treatment lists to see what they offer and what they charge.

Are you going to have your own salon, work from home or mobile? Because your choice will affect how much you might to make on each treatment also.

I understand that its a treatment that you would perform prior to make-up application, but wouldnt recommend that you offer this as a stand alone treatment.

Most ladies cleanse tone & moisturise daily themselves so why would they go to a salon?

Also Clarins is expensive, if you bought all their lotions & potions for each skin type it would cost you a fortune.
People can go to Boots for a free trial of Clarins and purchase the stuff there.

I would save yourself the bother & the expense. IMO.

i would agree with the other comments on here, an express facial has more elements than that and is probably the most basic treatment you could offer, before any application of facial products a skin analysis of some sort should be given to make sure the right products are used. hth xx

I agree with others, there isn't really any call for CTM as a stand alone, but it is necessary before make up. I didn't really understand about it being done the day before though (?) as the skin needs to be prepared for make up, so I would say, immediately before. Btw, if you like Clarins you might well like Susan Molyneux and the start up costs are a fraction of Clarins. But you would definitely need to be trained to do facials first. The main part of a facial imo is the facial massage.

:) :) :) In our house, CTM is chicken tikka masala:)

Thanks for all your replies, i do agree now that there would be no call for this. (tutor saying there would be made me all excited!!)
For those of you that do a CT & M before makeup application, do you use the same products for eveyone or have different skin types available. also what range do you use? Thanks xxx

We have different products for different skin types,we use Darphin in the salon and I use Eve Taylor for my own mobile business,both are aromatherapy based which is what I like,they smell and feel wonderful on the skin,not to mention giving wonderful results.

I dont particularly like to moisturise the skin directly before applying the make-up, so usually will just do a quick cleanse and tone.Applying moisturiser straight before the make up dosn't give the make-up a nice base to sit on and wont last nearly as long as a skin without a moisturiser.

Saying this the skin needs to be primed before hand(usually a good idea to explain to clients that they need to look after their skin and have facials on the run up to their make-up)as having a particularly dry skin can make the make-up look flakey and nowhere near as nice as it would if applied to a good moisturised skin.HTH

i would have a couple of choices, ie an oil absorbing moisturiser for greasy skin, a light lotion for normal/dry skin.
cost wise, i would get some nice products from the salon suppliers, or ellisons etc, as you will have to charge more for your treatmant to cover the costs of the products if you use clarins etc.
Goodluck with your course xx

I may not have trained at college but I have trained skincare/cosmetics with a number of cosmetics houses e.g Lancome Guerlain, revlon etc.
As I was a told the three steps for a skincare routine was celanse, tone and moisturise. As for different skin types you adapt the routine for the client, also if you apply moisturiser you can blot with a tissue.
I am sorry if you know all this I just babaling!!
I think to use Clarins you have to have a large opening order but you telephone them and ask about opening an account. And also they may want you to train using there products.
Hope this helps:hug:

When I was at college, doing Level 2 Beauty, I did facials for a 5 long months as there was so much to it. To be honest, I've never heard of only cleanse, tone, moisturise being taught at college./quote]

Hi Andrea, When I did my level 2 VTCT Cosmetic makeup we were only taught cleanse, tone and moisturise. We had to do a separate module after qualifying for facials.

BTW how are you finding Susan Molyneux?

I suppose they wont have the time to teach you a full facial in a Makeup class! The facial module lasted ages as we did all sorts of them paraffin wax, warm oil, you name it!

I like Susan Molyneux products because they contain essential oils, which in most cases are helpful more than harmful on the skin. So far, all the people who I have done facials on have told me that their skin felt lovely looked radiant after. I even tried the men's range on my son.

I did the training at college, so I can confidently use it. Their customer services (which I've only used once) was very good to me also.

Send off for samples before you make a big investment though.[/QUOTE]

when i was doing my vtct cosmetic makeup and beauty consultancy we were told to do a mini facial (cleanse, tone and moisturise) as this is essential to prep skin before applying makeup

i done a facial course afterwards and i was then taught that a mini facial was a completely different thing, which i must admit made alot of sense to me

although you learn about the skin in your makeup course i would recommend a facials course as this will give your more indepth info on skin analysis

but good luck with your course and there are lots of geeks here to help if you get stuck

Latest posts

Back