Client didn't have money to pay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a thread very similar to this a couple of months ago and geeg stated that this is an offence call the police as this is theft this is what I would do then don't do any more treatments for her again.

I would honestly ring the police of course that is if you want your money back Hun.xxxx

would police not think it was a waste of time? =/ very tempting...i just want my money! :(

To me this is the same as stealing she got the service knowing she wasn't going to pay which to me is the same as her taking something from a shop without paying.

I think you should phone the police and ask them. Even if you don't report it officially you can put in your invoice that unless payment is received you will be reporting to the police.( if they are willing to do something about it)

I hope you get your money. Keep us posted.

To me this is the same as stealing she got the service knowing she wasn't going to pay which to me is the same as her taking something from a shop without paying.

I think you should phone the police and ask them. Even if you don't report it officially you can put in your invoice that unless payment is received you will be reporting to the police.( if they are willing to do something about it)

Thank you Sarah, I will be sure to keep you posted! If I get time tommorrow I will call police & ask their advice! Very very very annoying! Will deffo be taking payment first from now on :) x

If this had happened in a salon, the police would be called, when I had a salon I would most certainly have called them. She is a low life thief. Like Sarah above says she knew, she had you go to her, waste your time and your products knowing full well she was not going to pay you. Utterly disgusting and I would hound her. Send her an invoice and don't let it go. It is not about the amount , it is about the act itself. Where do people like that even come from...argghhh!

How cheeky some people are! I would definitely call the police about it just to see what they can do about it first before sending letters... If this happened in a shop/salon and someone calls to report theft it doesn't just get left it gets dealt with so equally so should this!

If the police do say they can't do anything I would then send my invoice to her as said above, I just think the police should be first contact x

If this had happened in a salon, the police would be called, when I had a salon I would most certainly have called them. She is a low life thief. Like Sarah above says she knew, she had you go to her, waste your time and your products knowing full well she was not going to pay you. Utterly disgusting and I would hound her. Send her an invoice and don't let it go. It is not about the amount , it is about the act itself. Where do people like that even come from...argghhh!

Atleast I'm not the only one who feels how I do :( she always tells me how much she earns! It sounds stupid but I'd rather pay loads to take it to court just so she has to pay the bloody money! Why shouldn't she pay? Everyone else has too! It's an absolute joke! It's been 3 weeks now. I have wrote a letter & printed an invoice so will get that sent special delivery tommorrow! Fingers crossed! Thank you for all your replys! X

How cheeky some people are! I would definitely call the police about it just to see what they can do about it first before sending letters... If this happened in a shop/salon and someone calls to report theft it doesn't just get left it gets dealt with so equally so should this!

If the police do say they can't do anything I would then send my invoice to her as said above, I just think the police should be first contact x

Thanks Jodie, I will deffo be calling the police tommorrow morning to get some advice and see what they say! Very cheeky thou hey?

Atleast I'm not the only one who feels how I do :( she always tells me how much she earns! It sounds stupid but I'd rather pay loads to take it to court just so she has to pay the bloody money! Why shouldn't she pay? Everyone else has too! It's an absolute joke! It's been 3 weeks now. I have wrote a letter & printed an invoice so will get that sent special delivery tommorrow! Fingers crossed! Thank you for all your replys! X

I used to be a debt collector, send me her number :lol: (the number bits joke for the humourless amongst us) I know what you mean about the court bit, so would I just to make her pay up. Keep us posted.

I used to be a debt collector, send me her number :lol: (the number bits joke for the humourless amongst us) I know what you mean about the court bit, so would I just to make her pay up. Keep us posted.

Haha, her number is....
Only joking! But wish I could get a debt collector to go round!
I will be sure to keep you updated! We shall see :) fingers crossed! I don't have loads of money but i would rather pay a few hundred/thousand just to prove a point she CANNOT get away with it! Stoopid women! :(

By all means ring the police for a crime reference number.
Unless you can prove that you didn't receive the money from her it will be difficult for the police to do anything.
Did you make contemporaneous notes about her not paying?
Did you email her to acknowledge her non payment?
Can you prove that you didn't give it to her as a freebie?

I'm sorry to sound so "humourless" but I know from bitter personal experience that if if this woman is the sort to shy away from paying she will likely not worry about lying about the whole nature of the transaction.
I too am a very principled person but are you really willing to throw good money after bad.
Transfer the energy into earning more from other means.
Move on.

I'm getting annoyed for you, let me know how u get on,

I must admit about 6 months ago, after some waxing a friend of mine said I didnt have time To go cash machine. I will post it through your door, I totally forgot bout it until just recently she wanted another appointment and said oh and I owe u that money from last time and at the next appointment she did pay up.

I'm getting annoyed for you, let me know how u get on,

I must admit about 6 months ago, after some waxing a friend of mine said I didnt have time To go cash machine. I will post it through your door, I totally forgot bout it until just recently she wanted another appointment and said oh and I owe u that money from last time and at the next appointment she did pay up.

I will let you know hun, going to post invoice/letter through door tommorrow saying I need immediate payment within 7 days, if still no sign I will send one more saying I will take it further action! Then we will see ARGHHH!!!

Atleast you got your money! Very honest of her! X x

That's awful! If it was a friend and they said before hand fair enough, but the bloody cheeky woman! Go around with some hairspray and a stencil and make her car look pretty (hairspray strips car paint).thats a joke btw ppl.
Really hope u get the money, but don't pay for a court. Just have a letter sent to her work place for her xoxo

I reckon, letter tomoro like you are going to. Then if no luck, call her work then pop round one morning. That will shock her.
I had a lady that called me unprofessional because I called her relative "to see if she was away" it must have embarrased her cos she paid up then!!! And I said sorry but I can't book you in again. She left shouting "I will find somewhere else!" I was like ,I've just told you to! I don't care!!!!

It's a real shame people are like this :sad:
I feel for you.

I was shocked the other day when I got home after an appointment to a text saying:
"Hi Emily, don't worry but you left your payment here. I will get my daughter to drop it round to you later."

Sure enough, she came round with the money. Honest people restore my faith in humans, honestly - I wouldn't have known I'd left it there if she hadn't texted.

I really hope you get it sorted... I know it's frustrating.
I've just gone through 6 months of trying to get £300 off my previous employer. They threatened me with 'prosecution' for asking for my OWED money - they hadn't paid me!! Ridiculous. Show this woman up... I hope she gets what she deserves.

xxx

That's awful but I suppose there are lots that go shoplifting too, but to be that bare faced. I would of rung the police, but I don't think they will do anything. I'm afraid I think maybe it has to go down to experience xxxx

Hi Gem,

I understand how frustrating this can be as I’ve had this happen a few times in the past, got the money from clients in the end, due my knowledge of the law etc :D As used to work as a police officer many moons ago (for all my sins:evil:)

As far as the law stands on this matter that you have described with your client:

Under Section 3 of the theft act of 1978

Making off without payment

"A person who, knowing that payment on the spot for any goods supplied or services done is required or expected from him/her, dishonestly makes off without having paid as required or expected and with intent to avoid payment of the amount due shall be guilty of an offence".

The above offence relates to 'no credit' situations where payment is made at the time goods or services are supplied whether by cash, cheque or card. I.e. resturants, self sevice petrol stations, beauty treatments etc the list is endless of services/ business types that fall under this.

To prove that your client had intent to avoid payment, you must first be able to prove that she intends to permanently avoid paying you and is not just delaying or or deferring payment. This can be hard to prove, however a lapse of time may be a significant factor, if your client claims she intended to pay eventually.

I would recommend that you send invoices and refer to your payment policy in them, and state when the payment should reach you by and if that if she ingnores it that you WILL take further action, (keep copies of the letters) to her via special delivery so that you can prove she got them.

Keep any emails & texts that stating when she said she would settle her out standing monies with you.

Keep the receipts that the post office give you as these are evidence that you have tried to resolve this asap and these will also prove as a time line between the date of the offence and how long she has 'delayed' payment as this will help your case againist her should wish to tak it further later on.

HTH

Natalie

Last edited:
This is terrible,i cant believe the cheek of some people :O
I hope you get your money :)

Hi Gem,

I understand how frustrating this can be as I’ve had this happen a few times in the past, got the money from clients in the end, due my knowledge of the law etc :D As used to work as a police officer many moons ago (for all my sins:evil:)

As far as the law stands on this matter that you have described with your client:

Under Section 3 of the theft act of 1978

Making off without payment

"A person who, knowing that payment on the spot for any goods supplied or services done is required or expected from him/her, dishonestly makes off without having paid as required or expected and with intent to avoid payment of the amount due shall be guilty of an offence".

The above offence relates to 'no credit' situations where payment is made at the time goods or services are supplied whether by cash, cheque or card. I.e. resturants, self sevice petrol stations, beauty treatments etc the list is endless of services/ business types that fall under this.

To prove that your client had intent to avoid payment, you must first be able to prove that she intends to permanently avoid paying you and is not just delaying or or deferring payment. This can be hard to prove, however a lapse of time may be a significant factor, if your client claims she intended to pay eventually.

I would recommend that you send invoices and refer to your payment policy in them, and state when the payment should reach you by and if that if she ingnores it that you WILL take further action, (keep copies of the letters) to her via special delivery so that you can prove she got them.

Keep any emails & texts that stating when she said she would settle her out standing monies with you.

Keep the receipts that the post office give you as these are evidence that you have tried to resolve this asap and these will also prove as a time line between the date of the offence and how long she has 'delayed' payment as this will help your case againist her should wish to tak it further later on.

HTH

Natalie

Thanks for your help every body! I have spent the last 3 hours trying to get hold of her @ work, finally get through after her saying she doesn't know who I am she finally said I can pick up payment Thursday at 7pm =\ xx

Send her a confirmation text saying that you will be there at 7pm to collect £x for unpaid nail services on x date. Ask her to confirm that this is so.

Latest posts

Back