Client discount/offers. Yes or big no no?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you offer discount/offers to clients?

• No, never!

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • For new clients only

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Once a month

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Only to promote a treatment

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • Other. Please give details

Votes: 13 16.7%

• Total voters

Coppertop

Reaction score
Am interested to know who offers client discount/offers in any way or form.

I dont...I prefer the odd free nail repair or free gems.

I offer a "special price" to new customers (only at their first appointment with me) who have been recommended to me by one of my other clients; the regular client also will receive a saving at their next appointment as a way of saying thank you. And new clients who find me by any other means aren't eligible.

I never offer a discount on my SERVICE price.

I will give a free gift or do a special offer on retail but never ever ever on my service.

And the word discount is never used in my hearing either. To me discount is a cheap nasty word that smacks of bargain basement deals. I don't do bargain basement nor do I work in a bazar. There are more professional and nicer ways of saying the same thing and without giving out the cheap nasty vibes.

I never offer special deals on service to new clients as new clients do not deserve it ... they must earn special deals with loyalty ... and it would piss off my regulars if I was offerring 'deals' to new clients when they do not get them and they hae been coming to me for years and years.

Hi I am starting to agree with Gigi here. I do not feel that the little I have tried has brought me any luck. Discounting seems to give the impression that you are not good enough etc and I am sure that I have actually put off clients by this approach. Just my personal experience. :)

Perhaps I'm the exception to this but for several years we have had a monthly offer. I used to offer a specific treatment at a reduced price which would work quite well. If it was a clients regular treatment, they would still have to pay full whack.

For the past eighteen months or so though we have offered packages of treatments. I kind of make things up as I go along, work out how long it's going to take then price it according to our minimum hourly rate.

Clients LOVE it, and has made soooo many clients go from just having a leg or eyebrow wax a month to having a package each month. Each package is usually priced £35-£60 so has made a tremendous difference to our takings.

For me it has been the best thing ever.

edit: Sometimes our packages are made up of mini treatments. When it's included a mini facial for instance, clients have been so impressed with the results with the products (Algologie) that they have gone on to buy retail and/or book a full facial next time.

Last edited:
Hi guys, would you agree the same if you had just opened a new salon ?? My plan is to try and get people through the door to actually try first by doing buy one get one free on spray tans and 10% off nails and toes etc - what do you think, obviously I dont plan on doing this forever but some local competition tend to do a cheap spray tan on one day per week. Would love your thoughts. I am also giving a promotional night a shot aswell. Its just to get it going. In the first week I have gained ten new clients which I dont think is overly bad ??

Perhaps I'm the exception to this but for several years we have had a monthly offer. I used to offer a specific treatment at a reduced price which would work quite well. If it was a clients regular treatment, they would still have to pay full whack.

For the past eighteen months or so though we have offered packages of treatments. I kind of make things up as I go along, work out how long it's going to take then price it according to our minimum hourly rate.

Clients LOVE it, and has made soooo many clients go from just having a leg or eyebrow wax a month to having a package each month. Each package is usually priced £35-£60 so has made a tremendous difference to our takings.

For me it has been the best thing ever.

edit: Sometimes our packages are made up of mini treatments. When it's included a mini facial for instance, clients have been so impressed with the results with the products (Algologie) that they have gone on to buy retail and/or book a full facial next time.

I am glad you are doing well with Algologie - Good luck with the new salon too

Having not long come back from a break I've just introduced a reward scheme to my existing clients who recommend me. I also have offer to those who book tanning and pamper parties with me.

i never offer reduced treatment prices other than the above. it's not worth it as you are no better thought of in the long run and jsuts cost yu money.

I checked 'other'

i dont do monthly offers, but do offer 'regular reards' 10% off for clients that come back for the same treatment within 4 weeks. proven to be very popular.

The problem is that once you apply a certain offer etc the next time the client books in they say "but I only paid X amount last time??"
No offers, no discounts but the odd small tub of solar balm or cucumber heel therapy etc. goes down a treat. x

The problem is that once you apply a certain offer etc the next time the client books in they say "but I only paid X amount last time??"

Thats what the small print's for!!! :green:

As long as the T&C's are clearly stated, theres not alot they can do!!

I must say, in theory I do agree with Gigi. I hate the word "discount" also, and I hate to see a percentage discount given...I too feel it makes me look cheap and that I can't justify chaging full price for my treatments!!

However, I am just starting to throw all my weight (And spare time!) into my mobile business, and to get more clients, I have introduced spray tanning at a reduced price. It's worked brilliantly...but now I feel guilty about putting my price up to the "normal" cost!!!! I'm so weak!! So I think I will leave it at the promotional price, which still gives me a nice profit, and give those clients who benefited from the discount a £5 gift voucher to use on a treatment of their choice. Keeps everyone happy (I think!)

So, in future, I will be going down the route of offering a free retail item when booking certain treatments, depending on the month...After all, everyone likes a freebie, and it doesn't mean me tampering with my prices and feeling guilty the next time someone has to pay full price!

I agree that I shouldn't discount, and I don't like doing it...but I must admit, it does serve a purpose...

Thats what the small print's for!!! :green:

As long as the T&C's are clearly stated, theres not alot they can do!!

I guess I'm just so past small print!!
Name your price.
I just see people in a different way now I guess?
It's just not for me tbh...Oh you've been coming to me for 4 years?
The price is up.....
by a quid or so....for the petrol???
No not for me.

I must say, in theory I do agree with Gigi. I hate the word "discount" also, and I hate to see a percentage discount given...I too feel it makes me look cheap and that I can't justify chaging full price for my treatments!!

However, I am just starting to throw all my weight (And spare time!) into my mobile business, and to get more clients, I have introduced spray tanning at a reduced price. It's worked brilliantly...but now I feel guilty about putting my price up to the "normal" cost!!!! I'm so weak!! So I think I will leave it at the promotional price, which still gives me a nice profit, and give those clients who benefited from the discount a £5 gift voucher to use on a treatment of their choice. Keeps everyone happy (I think!)

So, in future, I will be going down the route of offering a free retail item when booking certain treatments, depending on the month...After all, everyone likes a freebie, and it doesn't mean me tampering with my prices and feeling guilty the next time someone has to pay full price!

I agree that I shouldn't discount, and I don't like doing it...but I must admit, it does serve a purpose...

I HAVE OFFERED OVER THE YEARS MANY SUCCESSFUL SPECIAL OFFERS and customer DEALS.

What I am saying is I never use the word DISCOUNT when I do it!!

What I am saying is I never lower the price of my SERVICE in an obvious way.

Clients love gifts and special deals and offers, but ME ?... I never come cheap. See what I am saying? That is the message I give out And I never do anything or say anything that makes me sound cheap. The word discount to me sounds cheap and naff and gives an impression that I would never want anyone to have of me or my work.

You can get yourself into a real bind offering discount services as well as give out the wrong impression of your business. IMHO

Last edited:
I do special offers every month and get vistaprint postcards made up with the offers on.

Sometimes the offers are packages of treatments that aren't on the menu, eg Well-being massage, an aromatherapy back massage coupled with reiki. Now its the same price as I would normally charge.

I also promote new treatments, so July's special offer will feature the colon massage. I've put it at my usual massage price until I work out how much I want to put it permanently at.

So, to me special offers include a mixture of special mini packages (like Cogsi suggested), promoting new treatments and reduced price treatments.

Special Promotions are also good if you have a glut of product that has been sitting around for ages that you want to get rid of.

For instance there was a thread the other day/week about skincare products not getting used. One way to use them up is by doing a package of treatments that includes a mini facial.

Because by doing several treatments in the same appointment slot reduces the time, it keeps costs down which can be passed on to the client. That's how we manage to do our very successful packages in the salon.

Definately not a fan of reducing price on individual treatments.

just wondered what offers you lot would use to get people to come to a new home based salon. (offering man,ped,massage,hopi ear, ear piercing, st tropez)

would especially like to hear from the geeks who dont like using obvious discounts. thank you.

just wondered what offers you lot would use to get people to come to a new home based salon. (offering man,ped,massage,hopi ear, ear piercing, st tropez)

would especially like to hear from the geeks who dont like using obvious discounts. thank you.

Hunny in business you have to have imagination .... if it were you being enticed to go to a particular salon ... what would entice YOU to go there?

Hunny in business you have to have imagination .... if it were you being enticed to go to a particular salon ... what would entice YOU to go there?

oh dear i dont have any imagination!

well i did have a few ideas but then i read the 'discounts' thread and realised alot of what i was going to offer didnt sound right.

xx

Latest posts

Back