Client discount/offers. Yes or big no no?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you offer discount/offers to clients?

• No, never!

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • For new clients only

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Once a month

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Only to promote a treatment

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • Other. Please give details

Votes: 13 16.7%

• Total voters
oh dear i dont have any imagination!

well i did have a few ideas but then i read the 'discounts' thread and realised alot of what i was going to offer didnt sound right.

xx

Well I think there have been some good ideas on this thread but my main advice is do not use the WORD discount and offer packages and tell clients the SAVING if they book these packages .... just not discount!! :lol:

I wasn't meaning to say you had no imagination just that you have to get creative and use the imagination you have.

Well I think there have been some good ideas on this thread but my main advice is do not use the WORD discount and offer packages and tell clients the SAVING if they book these packages .... just not discount!! :lol:

I wasn't meaning to say you had no imagination just that you have to get creative and use the imagination you have.

thank you, i know you wasing saying that but i was lol. xxx

:green:..I do not offer discounts but my client can choose a free design on one nail included with a set of acrylic tips. That is how I introduce my clients to my nail art.

I never offer any discounts my prices are my prices but for regular returning cutomers I may throw in the odd swarovski crystal or round down the price of a treatment (like 122 to 120) as a little gift (only I am allowed to do this in the salon however), it is customary over here to give a tip so I end up making this back and some however the customer leaves feeling valued and thinking shes got a great deal and will return - it hasnt failed yet for me -
Cait

we do a loyalty card - if they spend over a certain amount they get the card stamped then get a free treatment to the value of £50

I've just taken over from a nail / spray tan tech who had a really bad attitude and reputation in the local area so to promote my services and to alert customers to the fact that I am NOT the same tech, I'm offering a 'try before you buy' service and giving out one free nail to clients. I'm also doing mini manicures to people waiting for their colour to develop, but I don't advertise this, I ask them whilst they are in the salon if they would like one.

As well as this, I give my new clients a pinkie size solar oil with every new set, but again I don't advertise this. It is included in my pricing but I let them think that they are getting a freebie.

And lastly, I offer a free set of nails for every 5 referals I get from an existing client. Word of mouth is by far the best form of marketing I believe.

Special Offers work great IMO but hey need to be used in the right way. Everyone loves a good deal after all.
I never offer discounts, special prices or freebies on nails as we are fully booked everyday anyway.

I offer a special prices on packages instead or when having more than one treatment. It works really well.
For instance if Mrs Bloggs comes in to book a facial you can say

'we have a special offer on this month, you can have a Facial and a Full Body Massage for X amount saving X amount would you be interested'
This introduces your client to a new treatment and they also end up spending more money than intended and leave your salon after their treatment feeling totally revitalised

I also offer discounts on courses and take a deposit for the course, meaning client has to commit to the salon and service.

Every month i send out a newsletter by email with a special offer attached. This encourages clients to read the newsletter so you can tell them about different treatments and remind old clients to pamper themselves or friends (with gift vouchers)

Everyone loves a good deal i mean come on how many off us check out the special offers in the supermarkets and the 'whoops' shelf. We all do it! I get customers who just want to pamper themselves and come in and say 'what special offers do you have on this month?' Im sure they would only have the one treatment without the special offer.

Make sure your normal prices are not to low so you are able to do this.

Sorry for going on just wanted to get my point across​

Hi, im new to this site so please excuse me if i go on.
I have recently started up my own business and i do a loyalty card, on the clients 5th treatment i offer half price, also i am doing a refer a friend and recieve 10% off next treatment, this has worked for me and have been getting new clients which is great x x

i have recently started out as a mobile therapist and was thinking of doing some sort of a promotion to get clients..

i thought it would be a great to take advantage of christmas and offer my services at half price..

this would hopefully bring me more clients and it will give me a chance to make sure my services are up to top standards when i put the price back to normal..

i am using the best products and therefore need to charge accordingly..

by offering a discount and getting lots of hands on, this will insure i feel confident of my prices and services next year..

for those that dont offer discounts do you think this is a bad idea??

Last edited:
i have recently started out as a mobile therapist and was thinking of doing some sort of a promotion to get clients..

i thought it would be a great to take advantage of christmas and offer my services at half price..

this would hopefully bring me more clients and it will give me a chance to make sure my services are up to top standards when i put the price back to normal..

i am using the best products and therefore need to charge accordingly..

by offering a discount and getting lots of hands on, this will insure i feel confident of my prices and services next year..

for those that dont offer discounts do you think this is a bad idea??

I did this for 2 months when I opened my home treatment room last year. I think it's fine but be aware that most people who take up these kind of offers are often bargain hunters who will flit to the next salon offering something cheap when you charge full price.

I don't think that is necesarily a reason not to do it though - my reasons for doing it were similar to yours as I just wanted to get some clients in the door and start treating people & building up my confidence etc.

Just set a clear time limit for the offer to end (I couldn't wait for the 2nd month to finish as was really beginning to resent slogging away for 1/2 price!).

I would say I got a couple of regulars out of doing that offer and it got things off the ground for me.

One thing though, if I were you I might go full price in December as it is a busy month anywa (perhaps think of a different offer for that month such as a collection of mini treatments for a special price etc). Then you could do your 1/2 price in Jan if you like when things are quieter.

I NEVER reduce the price of my services, i do a loyalty card for all my ladies as a thankyou for their loyalty, i dont come cheap but they book up to a year in advance!, They come to me once a month for infills and after 6 infills they get free nail art or hand and arm massage. Their appointment card get stamped each time so saves me money in app cards each month. I offer intro rates for my new techs to build their clientele or intro rates on new services to raise the awareness of them i.e uv gel french toes for £15. I nearly always do free repairs as my nails come with a guarantee so i very rarely have any repairs to do. i always give my regulars replacements if needed during infills & free gems if they want them occasionaly as it takes 2 seconds and they cost very little..most of my business is generated through recommendations by my lovely loyal customers, they ask me for bundles of my cards to give out and leave me lovely testimonials on my website and so, all this saves me a bundle in advertising as i never need to, i'm really lucky to have great clients :)xxx

I have just introduced this offer, I am going to have it as a long standing offer, as i can afford to do it now my solution is costing me less.

So it will be a nice treat for my regulars and will hopefully get their friends having spray tans too! I always think spray tannig is a good thing to offer people to get other people interested, because its something you notice straight away!!

Anyway, Ive had these busines cards printed up and am going to give them to my clients when they spend £15, so it might get those that spend less to bump it up a little and try other treatments!

spraytancard.jpg

...oh, and i also got a t-shirt printed with it on too cuz im a bit sad like that lol.

livepreview.aspx

Last edited:
I think special offers are a useful marketing tool.
I have one running at the moment and it has brought 6 new clients for December. It needs to have a high perceived value, but doesn't need to cost you a great deal in the way of product. It also needs to have an end date to increase its scarcity value.
As Geeg says - I don't discount my service though and never, ever use that word. I use the word "special", because that's how my clients want to feel.

Latest posts

Back