Client reaction to patch test - very angry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gina Ballerina

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I had a client in for a spray tan on Saturday. After she filled out her record cards I brought her into the treatment room for a consultation.

She asked why she hadn't had a patch test so I told her I don't patch test every client before spray tanning (I do for tinting) unless they think they might be sensitive to tanning products, have v. sensitive skin, eczema, pigmentation issues etc.
I said she is welcome to have a patch test and come back another day for treatment which she did.
I swiped her arm with solution and off she went.

She has had a reaction (I don't know how she has reacted or how badly) and called the hairdressers in which I work and has gone mad on the telephone,she is v angry and upset and said she works for the health service and is going to put it all over twitter (???)
She saying I tried to convince her not to have a patch test.

It was an odd treatment from the start - she arrived 30 mins early and seemed very annoyed to be waiting. She said she only wanted her body tanned and not her face as she wants to use her usual fake tan for her face to which I replied that she could but it may be difficult to match the tan and so she might like to reconsider.
I can't explain but it just seemed odd, she was very nervy and just didn't seem happy to be there.

I did not try to convince her not to have a patch test because quite frankly I was happy for her to have the test and leave and I knew when she left that she wouldn't be back wether she reacted or not.

I now need to call her to call her to defuse this situation but I am confused what to say because she had a patch test because she wanted one and she has reacted, I am sorry she is not happy but really I do see this as the massive problem that she does.
I was thinking I would call her and say - I'm sorry to hear you have reacted to your patch test and how can I help?

What would you do?
She hasn't called me but wanted to speak to the owner of the hairdressers I rent from (I think maybe she thinks I work for them)

P.S early merry Christmas to everyone xxx
I

The first thing to do is speak to your insurance company, just ask their view, its what you pay them for.

You need to get her in and see her, take a look, if its nothing bad offer her a complimentary treatment for something else, see how she takes this.

If you feel its bad, ask to take a picture (with a real camera not a phone) and go from there, but you need to see her as soon as possible,

Tell her to come back in so that you can see, and photograph, the reaction, so that you can involve the insurance company and manufacturer. If she continues to bad mouth you to anyone, over any medium, without just cause, then tell her your solicitor will be sending a cease and desist letter.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
I will call insurer now and then her.
Thanks again

I smell a rat!! Do everything by the book, I wouldn't offer her anything as any type of compensation including a good will gesture can be seen as admitting liability.

She wanted a patch test, she got one and now she's complaining that she's had a reaction, many moons ago I worked in insurance (claims) I wouldn't be surprised if she's a comp chaser, people will go to all sorts of lengths to make a claim!!! That's no disrespect to anyone who has had to make a claim, it's just a few who make it bad for everyone else.

I m confused, why has she gone mad? Surely the whole point of a test is so its doesn t happen to her whole body? Or have I read it wrong? Some people are unbelievable quite frankly x

I'm also confused as to why shes angry that she reacted...

Its not your fault, you've done nothing wrong! Its her body thats reacted so shouldn't she be angry at herself? You done everything right!

If you've rang your insurance company what did they suggest? Just out of curiosity? x

If I have understood the OP correctly the client is angry/upset that she could have had a full body reaction as the OP was just going to spray her without any patch test. She seems to think the OP was wrong not to insist on a patch test.

My insurers do not require that I patch test EVERY client before tanning them, they require that I test anyone who has had reactions to tanning products previously and those with sensitive skin (the same as the OP states she does in her post).

if i have understood the op correctly the client is angry/upset that she could have had a full body reaction as the op was just going to spray her without any patch test. She seems to think the op was wrong not to insist on a patch test.

My insurers do not require that i patch test every client before tanning them, they require that i test anyone who has had reactions to tanning products previously and those with sensitive skin (the same as the op states she does in her post).

op?

I m confused, why has she gone mad? Surely the whole point of a test is so its doesn t happen to her whole body? Or have I read it wrong? Some people are unbelievable quite frankly x

That's why I don't know what to say to her - I'm sorry she's upset but I don't really see the problem.

I'm also confused as to why shes angry that she reacted...

Its not your fault, you've done nothing wrong! Its her body thats reacted so shouldn't she be angry at herself? You done everything right!

If you've rang your insurance company what did they suggest? Just out of curiosity? x

Yes I rang BABTAC to check today and they said to follow the manufacturers guidelines with regards to patch testing - which I did.

If I have understood the OP correctly the client is angry/upset that she could have had a full body reaction as the OP was just going to spray her without any patch test. She seems to think the OP was wrong not to insist on a patch test.

My insurers do not require that I patch test EVERY client before tanning them, they require that I test anyone who has had reactions to tanning products previously and those with sensitive skin (the same as the OP states she does in her post).

Hi Baggybear,

Yes, you are correct. I think that is why she is angry but at the end of the day I did follow procedure that's why I'm confused as to what to say to her.

I'd never want to say 'well, good job we didn't tan ya then' 'what's your problem, that's what patch tests are for' or 'maybe you might be overreacting' but that's what's in my head.
I want to provide excellent customer service to this lady and that's why I'm confused with what to say to her.

I will not offer her anything for free as a good will gesture or by apology because I can't see any blame anywhere.

I've called her twice now and left massages - maybe I won't get to speak to her at all.

Really appreciate your replies though guys.

Why should you offer her a freebie when she didn't pay anything in the first place?!

She sounds like a chancer.. Wanted a patch test and 'reacted' to it. What's the chances of that?!

Sounds like she's one of them who is after ewt for meet!

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Newt

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Your right I smell a rat. I remember having a massage client in years ago. She chattered all through the treatment telling me she sued mcdonalds for slipping on a burger, and how she sued the local shop because she slipped on his slab outside. I did find it strange she was very open about how much she got. I never thought anything about it and a few days later I get a phone call I had broke 4 of her ribs massaging her :) unprofessional of me I know I burst out laughing. I replied if you could pop your complaint in writing with full details, hospital attendance etc. I quickly contacted my insurance they logged it and also found it very strange. Never did receive a letter. Nothing queerer than folk as they say :D

Your right I smell a rat. I remember having a massage client in years ago. She chattered all through the treatment telling me she sued mcdonalds for slipping on a burger, and how she sued the local shop because she slipped on his slab outside. I did find it strange she was very open about how much she got. I never thought anything about it and a few days later I get a phone call I had broke 4 of her ribs massaging her :) unprofessional of me I know I burst out laughing. I replied if you could pop your complaint in writing with full details, hospital attendance etc. I quickly contacted my insurance they logged it and also found it very strange. Never did receive a letter. Nothing queerer than folk as they say :D

Hahaha broke 4 ribs??? You would of had to of been massaging rather hard!

Lol yeh brut force hahah

I might have to sue! Just cracked 4 ribs laughing!
Expect a letter soon x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back