Client Removing own nails???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a client once that after 3 months decided she didn't really have time for nails....very busy lady. She rang me one day and said..."angie i have had my nails soaking in acetone for 2 hours and nothing is happening".............i was like well no it wont do, i use a non soak off gel...:lol:

I told her that the product needs to be filed off and that needs to be done by a proffesional...she said she didn't have time to have that done, so i pointed out that she had just wasted 2 hours with her nails in acetone !!!.............anyway she didn't want to listen and said she would ring back later. She did ring back the next day saying she was unhappy because her nails where thin and red...i asked if she had the gel still on and she said, no i did what you said and filed it off.....eerm didn't i say A PROFESSIONAL....no wonder her nails where red and thin.

The moral to my story is NO....they shouldn't cos you can bet your bottom dollar when it goes wrong it will be your fault.

Hi, the thing is they can go into Boots and buy the stuff, doesnt help.

I suppose no one likes to pay only to end up having something removed and to go away with nothing ... that is how the clients perceive it BUT it is up to us to convince the clients that they are not paying to just have something removed and to go home with nothing.

In my soak off service is also included re-hydration of the natural nails with a manicure and they can leave with a smooth healthy surface and have them them painted if they so wish.

If they try to do it themselves, they will end up with a 3-4 month wait time until their nails have recovered from the damage that unprofessional removal causes. I know which I would rather do. I'd rather spend an hour in the salon than 3-4 months waiting for my natural nails to recover.

Convince your clients that the service is necessary, healthy, professional and value added with the manicure included. It's not that difficult .. its all true.

It is actually not that easy for any client to buy the amount of acetone needed for a soak off. Professional Product Remover is not just acetone as we hopefully all know. It is not the same thing and does not give the same results. Product remover is more gentle than pure acetone and less dehydrating to the skin.

That can be said of nail enamel,it doesn't compare to a professional manicure though :D

It is actually not that easy for any client to buy the amount of acetone needed for a soak off. Professional Product Remover is not just acetone as we hopefully all know. It is not the same thing and does not give the same results. Product remover is more gentle than pure acetone and less dehydrating to the skin.

That is very true...when i was a client, i went to the chemist to get some acetone....the bottle was tiny. it just about filled an eggcup :lol:

That is very true...when i was a client, i went to the chemist to get some acetone....the bottle was tiny. it just about filled an eggcup :lol:

I now realise how much damage I have done to my nails over the years by using diy nails kits and diy nail removal (99p bottle of acetone from the chemist), loads of picking, pulling, heavy filing and no re-hydration at the end of it. No wonder they are thin, sore and split. :smack: Smack round the head to myself.

Therefore was thinking when I get qualified, is it feasable to have removal as a complimentary service? Does Del3 new clients and return clients out way the costs of doing the free removal.
P.S How do you do 2 quotes?

I now realise how much damage I have done to my nails over the years by using diy nails kits and diy nail removal (99p bottle of acetone from the chemist), loads of picking, pulling, heavy filing and no re-hydration at the end of it. No wonder they are thin, sore and split. :smack: Smack round the head to myself.

Therefore was thinking when I get qualified, is it feasable to have removal as a complimentary service? Does Del3 new clients and return clients out way the costs of doing the free removal.
P.S How do you do 2 quotes?

hi Gail
i've found that offering this service free of charge really does outweigh the costs. a bit of acetone and time is a small price to pay when;
a) i get to 'dictate' the condition of my clients nails (they not tempted to try diy despite advice not too)
b)i get to offer those clients that have experienced a bad service elsewere a good allternative....me:lol:
i have wasted so much time in the past waiting for the nails of clients that have done diy to return to a good enough condition,the sooner i can get new enhacements back on their nails the quicker they're out there advertising me :lol:
i offer a reduced rate 'hydrating manicure' for those not wanting enhancements replaced on that day alongside the 'free' removal and most clients take it
i live in an area where having nail enhancements on a regular basis is a fairly new concept and there are many inexperienced nail techs around offering 'a cheep set if nails' (£10) that tepmts a lot of clients.i have seen the effect of these 'cheep sets' on clients nails and unfortunatly had the job of restoring the nails to a good condition.my method gets them in and keeps them in!
other nail techs might see this in a different light but it works for me.
the best feeling in the world (with regards to work) is having happy clients return time after time after time :) and that in itself far outweighs the costs.

p.s. you do quotes by clicking on the word 'quote' on the bottom of the post

:hug:

Last edited:
¡This is a general comment to all and not directed at any one individual!

Feasible but once again here we are, professionals (supposedly) giving away services ONLY because we are women and want everything to be nicey nicey etc instead of acting like business women. Come on ladies and gents ... who else would even consider doing this other than some soft women who want to make decisions for others. After listening to you the clients can make their own choices, to do or not to do ... the consequences are on their own shoulders not yours if they make a stupid decision to pull of their nails or to attempt a soak off.

IF I can do a 'soak off/removal' whilst working on another client and IF that 'soak off/removal' is followed by a full set I would charge a small small amount say 5-7 pounds Sterling or 10€. If it is just a soak off to return to natural nails including a re hydrating manicure NO WAY!! Then you are talking an hours service and MUST charge accordingly.

Please start to think and act like business people. No wonder the general public does not generally regard nail technicians highly ... or as professionals ... but rather as a bunch of women 'playing' at business.

For more than 20 years (through teaching and by example) I have been working my ass off to help nail technicians become respected individuals/professionals in their own right and for more than 20 years I have had to fight the same old battle ... WOMEN who themselves play at nails instead of making a business of nails.

Feasible but once again here we are, professionals (supposedly) giving away services ONLY because we are women and want everything to be nicey nicey etc instead of acting like business women. Come on ladies and gents ... who else would even consider doing this other than some soft women who want to make decisions for others. After listening to you the clients can make their own choices, to do or not to do ... the consequences are on their own shoulders not yours if they make a stupid decision to pull of their nails or to attempt a soak off.

IF I can do a 'soak off/removal' whilst working on another client and IF that 'soak off/removal' is followed by a full set I would charge a small small amount say 5-7 pounds Sterling or 10€. If it is just a soak off to return to natural nails including a re hydrating manicure NO WAY!! Then you are talking an hours service and MUST charge accordingly.

Please start to think and act like business people. No wonder the general public does not generally regard nail technicians highly ... or as professionals ... but rather as a bunch of women 'playing' at business.

For more than 20 years (through teaching and by example) I have been working my ass off to help nail technicians become respected individuals/professionals in their own right and for more than 20 years I have had to fight the same old battle ... WOMEN who themselves play at nails instead of making a business of nails.

I have learn't to be tough in the short time I have been in the Nail industry.
It's having the confidence to realise it's them and not you! You offer a professional service and the client needs to know this. They are only going to know if you act professional and state the 'Facts of fee's', and not say.... oh, don't worry......'
I have done that in the beginning as I was training, but no longer now I am in the salon..................but Gigi... I always smile!!!!

I have learn't to be tough in the short time I have been in the Nail industry.
It's having the confidence to realise it's them and not you! You offer a professional service and the client needs to know this. They are only going to know if you act professional and state the 'Facts of fee's', and not say.... oh, don't worry......'
I have done that in the beginning as I was training, but no longer now I am in the salon..................but Gigi... I always smile!!!!

:)

AND it always works!! :hug:

ooooo i feel like i've had my bum smacked :o but i do appreaciate what Gigi is saying.
i'd like to add though the way this works for me makes the client feel like she's getting a good deal and helps me compete with the 'cheeper' ( if thats the right word) allternatives and gives me the oppertunity to show new clients the right way to have their nails done and that it is possible for their nails to still look good after having the enhancements removed.
i know Gigi didn't direct her comments to any individual but i would like to think that i have a good business head (if i havn't there's no hope for me after 20yrs of being self employed :lol:)
but after all this is just my way of doing things and there are other tried and tested ways to go about things
:hug:

:grr:

There is always more than one way to do things BUT I am talking about the principals behind good business practise and professionalism. Why is it so difficult for people to understand that as long as we give our services away, we will never be taken seriously and they will never be valued????? Can we not all look at the bigger picture and try to act in a way that gives credibility to what we do for the sake of the whole industry??

What would you think if hairdressers, for instance, taught all their clients how to maintain their colour at the roots and sold them the products to do it and only offered to do their full head colour every 2 months or so? Would you as a business person not think that was pretty stupid, to be blunt? Would you not think it was an unprofessional thing to do? Would you not think that the hairdresser had missed an opportunity to increase her business potential? Would you ever for one moment expect your hairdresser to do your roots for free and only charge when she did the full head colour?

Hairdressers are looked up to as professionals. Nail technicians in general are not. Most people know they could not be good hairdressers without expert training and experience yet thousands think they can do nails with little or no training because it is so easy ... they can do it for a hobby to make a little bit on the side for themselves ... easy peasy ... who needs training or a business head?? Any moron can do nails.
Am I getting through to anyone? Or am I just doing this .......

:grr:

Just to throw a bit of a spanner in the works, my hairdresser's ( a big, fairly up-market salon) offers a free "tidy up" cut after three or four weeks.:eek:
Marion x

Just to throw a bit of a spanner in the works, my hairdresser's ( a big, fairly up-market salon) offers a free "tidy up" cut after three or four weeks.:eek:
Marion x

I would say that if she was that great a hairdresser she wouldn't have to tidy anything up after 3 weeks. Probably takes her 2 minutes NOT over an hour!!

Throw all the spanners you like. gimmicks can be offered from a position of strength ... Nail techs are not in that position yet!! They'll have to earn respect and they will not get it by giving services away or other freebies.. Glad to see I'm getting through ..... not!

I'll start by saying I charge for everything. If someone's having a new set I'll make a reduction in the soak-off charge. And I TOTALLY TOTALLY believe a professional soak-off to be the only way to remove nails.

But . . .

sometimes, when clients disappear even after being advised NOT to do a home removal and have heard all reasons why etc, you just know damned well that it's going in one ear and out the other and they are going to end up in Boots for a bottle or two of acetone (easily available in my Boots at about 89p for 125ml) and a sharp file. OR they are going to chew the beggars off and finish off with a file.

I'm not talking about the reasonably well-off clients who would rather pay for a good service AND buy anything you suggest anyway . . . I'm talking about the peeps who scratch up enough to come to YOU because they've been recommended even though you're dearer than the NSS down the road, come for a few maintenance appointments then suddenly realise the cost, run out of money or hubby says "that's enough spent on them nails, get the bl..dy things off" . . . I KNOW this to be the case with some clients.

It makes me so cross to think they are going to be showing their crappy DIY removed nails around the school playground and people are going to be thinking that THAT is because of the nails that I APPLIED! We may be able to educate our client and they can choose to listen or not, but it's a real bummer because most of that clients friends are NOT educated about nails and just apportion the damage they see to having "acrylics" in the first place. So I do see where Del3 is coming from, even though I don't do that, I have wondered in the past whether removing them for little or no cost might not be a bad idea in some cases.

The less ruined nails people see, the better for the industry.

I'll start by saying I charge for everything. If someone's having a new set I'll make a reduction in the soak-off charge. And I TOTALLY TOTALLY believe a professional soak-off to be the only way to remove nails.

But . . .

sometimes, when clients disappear even after being advised NOT to do a home removal and have heard all reasons why etc, you just know damned well that it's going in one ear and out the other and they are going to end up in Boots for a bottle or two of acetone (easily available in my Boots at about 89p for 125ml) and a sharp file. OR they are going to chew the beggars off and finish off with a file.

I'm not talking about the reasonably well-off clients who would rather pay for a good service AND buy anything you suggest anyway . . . I'm talking about the peeps who scratch up enough to come to YOU because they've been recommended even though you're dearer than the NSS down the road, come for a few maintenance appointments then suddenly realise the cost, run out of money or hubby says "that's enough spent on them nails, get the bl..dy things off" . . . I KNOW this to be the case with some clients.

It makes me so cross to think they are going to be showing their crappy DIY removed nails around the school playground and people are going to be thinking that THAT is because of the nails that I APPLIED! We may be able to educate our client and they can choose to listen or not, but it's a real bummer because most of that clients friends are NOT educated about nails and just apportion the damage they see to having "acrylics" in the first place. So I do see where Del3 is coming from, even though I don't do that, I have wondered in the past whether removing them for little or no cost might not be a bad idea in some cases.

The less ruined nails people see, the better for the industry.

I do not believe the general public are as completely uneducated about nail enhancements as you make out. Of course many are but nail enhancements have been around for over 30 years now and I think most women do know that pulling them off damages natural nails. We are not in the dark ages anymore like when I started out in the business.

When most women blame enhancement wearing for damage it isn't because they don't know, it's because they just won't take responsibility for what they have done.

We all know that bleaching our hair doesn't do it any great good, but gazillions still do it knowing full well that their hair keeps growing and renewing itself. I and many others know enough not to put other chemicals on treated hair or it will damage it.

I think most folks know that yanking off nail enhancements is what causes the damage ... oh and of course the crap nail technicians that file and thin the natural nail out on a continual basis (just another reason why we are not taken seriously or considered professionals ... because there is no guaranteed standard of service).

If I had done anything to my nails, I wouldn't be flashing them around to all and sundry to see ... I'd be hiding them.

I'm self employed.

I could not offer my services for free, I did a soak off & mini manicure today which took me one & half hours. My charge was £15 and she gave me £20 as I did them on a saturday (I don't work weekends!)
I charge £5 at the moment, soon to be £7.50 for a soak off for a new set too.

If you give a service away, it has no perceived value to a customer. If you make a charge for it, however small, at least to them then it has a value.

I value my work, my time & my income, nothing I do is for free.

I'm self employed.

I could not offer my services for free, I did a soak off & mini manicure today which took me one & half hours. My charge was £15 and she gave me £20 as I did them on a saturday (I don't work weekends!)
I charge £5 at the moment, soon to be £7.50 for a soak off for a new set too.

If you give a service away, it has no perceived value to a customer. If you make a charge for it, however small, at least to them then it has a value.

I value my work, my time & my income, nothing I do is for free.

BRAVO SWEETIE :hug:

Gigi is so right.... (i have often written down your words, so i can use them on customers myself)

total respect to you and all businesswomen.. you are so right, i never let people sit in my chair for half hour soak offs, then 15 mins manicure and then just walk away with a smile, and no money for my efforts.

Personally I love nails but i also love money.... This week i put my soak off charges up to 30 euros, cos they are paying for my proffesional care and attention. People love to know they are paying for excellent results, they respect me more for this.

:eek:I'm not qualified yet... I'm training, I wasn't asking the question on a "being nice" point of view, I was asking professionals if it is "cost effective", and has a better customer return with providing the free "soak off" service. I understand that after the "soaking off" the rehydration/or replacements would have to be paid for.
As well as playing with my own nails (totally can see why it is wrong to do diy) I have also had my nails done by 3 professionals in my area (over a 18 year period) and not one of them mentioned the importance of having the system removed professionally. So I was making a mental note to my self how important it will be to inform clients to have their nails removed professionally.

:cry:Sorry if I sound defensive, I am defensive. I'm trying to get out of an office job that I hate, with absolute no job satisfaction. Like everyone I have bills to pay, mouths to feed. So at the moment I am trying to get my foot in the the nail industry door. And I know I will get totally slated for this one, I am doing a home correspondance course. With the intention of with an initial qualification under my belt, go and offer some of my time "for free" at first in a salon. My sell for this one would be transfer of skills: Assistant Accountant (willing to do salon books?), great office administration skills (answer the phone, make apointments), customer service skills (meeting & greeting, making cups of coffee etc). Hopefully get offered a job with the proviso that I want to continue with my training (night school or day courses). I've finished now. Sorry for going on.:hug:

Latest posts

Back