Client Removing own nails???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm self employed.

I could not offer my services for free, I did a soak off & mini manicure today which took me one & half hours. My charge was £15 and she gave me £20 as I did them on a saturday (I don't work weekends!)
I charge £5 at the moment, soon to be £7.50 for a soak off for a new set too.

If you give a service away, it has no perceived value to a customer. If you make a charge for it, however small, at least to them then it has a value.

I value my work, my time & my income, nothing I do is for free.

Ditto....everything i use i paid for and every minute i spend using it is my time.....of course i want paying for it.

If you start your business like this you will find it very hard to break it...they will come to expect it. believe it or not, clients like to know where they stand, if its free one month, less another and full price 6 months later...they have no idea whats what.

With the intention of with an initial qualification under my belt, go and offer some of my time "for free" at first in a salon. My sell for this one would be transfer of skills: Assistant Accountant (willing to do salon books?), great office administration skills (answer the phone, make apointments), customer service skills (meeting & greeting, making cups of coffee etc). Hopefully get offered a job with the proviso that I want to continue with my training (night school or day courses). I've finished now. Sorry for going on.:hug:

Wish I had a salon, Gails Nails, I would sure snap you up with all that to offer!

I have also had my nails done by 3 professionals in my area (over a 18 year period) and not one of them mentioned the importance of having the system removed professionally. So I was making a mental note to my self how important it will be to inform clients to have their nails removed professionally.

Agree totally.

Very few clients that come to me from another tech know anything about what damages your nails, ie a bad tech overfiling, or picking off etc. Most think the acrylic damages them. And virgin clients have no idea at all. I wish folk round here were better educated, it would certainly make life easier.

Agree totally.

Very few clients that come to me from another tech know anything about what damages your nails, ie a bad tech overfiling, or picking off etc. Most think the acrylic damages them. And virgin clients have no idea at all. I wish folk round here were better educated, it would certainly make life easier.

I couldn't agree with you more!!!

:hug:

Agree totally.

Put a large ad in your local rag,tell the peeps how their nails may become damage and then in large bold print put that this is not the case for your clients !

Just to say,i do not feel any client who is either allowed/showed or encouraged to remove their own enhancements is better educated than anyone esle,in fact it's worse because here we have professionals telling peeps to do this.

No wonder it's a constant battle to raise and maintain standards when there is so much conflicting information given to the general public,by professionals !

Put a large ad in your local rag,tell the peeps how their nails may become damage and then in large bold print put that this is not the case for your clients !

Just to say,i do not feel any client who is either allowed/showed or encouraged to remove their own enhancements is better educated than anyone esle,in fact it's worse because here we have professionals telling peeps to do this.

No wonder it's a constant battle to raise and maintain standards when there is so much conflicting information given to the general public,by professionals !

sorry i'm a bit lost. can you show me where in the thread this is encouraged.:confused:
it's probably me not looking proplerly (i havn't got my glasses on :lol:)
thanks

Just wonderd what you guys thought about your client's soaking there own nails off at home.
I have been asked about this a lot and some just do it anyway, or even worse just pull them off.
some people dont just have the time or prefer to do it at home the night before.
So i was thinking about doing some stet by step instructions with do's and dont's and selling home kits. what do you all think ??? thanks jox

sorry i'm a bit lost. can you show me where in the thread this is encouraged.:confused:
it's probably me not looking proplerly (i havn't got my glasses on :lol:)
thanks

There you go,the original post :D

I'm self employed.

I could not offer my services for free, I did a soak off & mini manicure today which took me one & half hours. My charge was £15 and she gave me £20 as I did them on a saturday (I don't work weekends!)
I charge £5 at the moment, soon to be £7.50 for a soak off for a new set too.

If you give a service away, it has no perceived value to a customer. If you make a charge for it, however small, at least to them then it has a value.

this is soo true, and i think its one reason why i have decided i can not and will not, do nails for free while i practise, (julia said they are good enough to make a small charge while i get better), so charge i will, why.... because ive realised if they're free they have no value to my models and they will not look after them, if they have paid, no matter how small, they have a value for them and so they will treat them with more respect and because i want to be seen as a business woman and not a 'hobbyist'

I value my work, my time & my income, nothing I do is for free.

wow bev, hats off to you hun, i agree with this totally, i havent many clients (yet) but so so far ive charged for everything ive done, and i hope this will always be the case, well done you x

When I said I wish clients were better educated, I meant about what causes damage to their nails, not better educated about removing their own enhancements :green:

When I said I wish clients were better educated, I meant about what causes damage to their nails, not better educated about removing their own enhancements :green:

I get what you're saying, Blossom. The better educated your clients are, the less likelihood they would even want to attempt to remove their own nails.

The more they know, the better..... x

Just wanted to let you all know that i haven't told any of my clients to remove their own nails.
It's just that i am getting busy now and can't believe how many people just pull them off or soak them off themselves, and i don't want them to damage their own nails.
How many times do you have to tell them???
I also give out aftercare leaflets. Do they even read them???
I just wanted some advice from you guys and i have to say i do agree with you all about soaking off at home.
I also can see your point about not charging for soaking off nails but when you are trying to build your client base sometimes you need to do things slightly different until you get established.
I can see why this might annoy nail tecs with more experience so please don't shout.
I think location has a big part to play, i live in cumbria and know my work is worth more than i charge but at the end of the day you can only charge what people will pay in your area.
I would be interested to know how much you would charge for the designs that are on my website. Is it ok to post my web address on here?

ok, firstly let me tell you about my experience from before I became a nail tech.

The very first time I had my nails done, it came to the time when I needed a soak off and new set. Not knowing anything about nails at this point, I asked my tech (creative qualified by the way) and she told me this:

"well I can remove them if you really want, but to be honest you are just as well getting some soak off from boots (they call it Get 'em Off) and doing it yourself, or to be honest, you can just pick them off"

Now, as I say, those were the words of a Creative Qualified Tech, and so I am sure that there are many more techs out there who do this but wont admit it.

When I did my Creative Foundation Course, our educator advised us not to charge for a soak off if the client is having another full set applied. Now I am a business woman first, Nail Tech Second (this is my job and my living after all), however having been advised by an experienced professional that I would see a greater client return by absorbing the cost of these "free" soak offs into other treatments, I decided to acknowledge this lady's expertise, and so I do not charge for a soak off if it is followed by a full set.

I charge £15 for soak off only, because I follow this up with a mini mani. Personally I would prefer to charge for a soak off even if its followed by a full set, but to some extent you have to heed the advice of seasoned professionals, so I thought I was doing the right thing.

On Saturday I had a lady in with Rheumatoid arthritis. Now I suffer with this condition myself and know how painful it can be. She has difficulty keeping her hands in one position for a long time, and no matter how I tried to arrange it, she had to keep taking her hands out of the remover for a rest, and that soak off took an hour. Her subsequent enhancements took 2 hours, and she paid me £35. Not enough for the time I spent in my opinion.

I am glad to read now that a soak off charge is a feasible thing, as I will now be altering my prices while my business is still new and its easier to do.

A very interesting thread, I've found all your opinions very helpful!

That is very true...when i was a client, i went to the chemist to get some acetone....the bottle was tiny. it just about filled an eggcup :lol:

I just wanted to say that anyone can walk into Sally's and buy a 16oz container of acetone for less than $3.00 :!:

I think everyone should charge for proffesional removal, i charge 10 euros and include rehydrating the nail and polish if they want it. I also make sure they know that i use a nail strengthener, and it works best if applied every couple of days, and yes i do have it available for retail!

So CHARGE girlies! As my boyfriend would say, we are not here just for their beautiful eyes, we need to make a living! Time is money baby, time is money!

I use the Bio Sculpture Gel nail system. I charge £6 for a removal prior to a new set of gel nails. I remove any top coat, file the nails down a little to break the seal, rub the enhancement down to take off the shine, then soak cotton wool pads and wrap each finger in foil, also rubbing a little cuticle oil around the cuticle, place each hand in a plastic bag and then put hot mits on the client for around 10 minutes. Following removal I soak the nails in warm water with a few drops of biogel handwash and gently brush the nails to get rid of all the acetone and rub a little of the biogel conditioner into each nail and then get the client to thoroughly wash her hands. I then prepare the cuticles and file the nails into a decent shape ready for a new set of overlays.

If a client was not having a new set of gel nails, I charge £6 for removal + £8.50 for a file n polish.

I have only one regular client who likes to remove her own nails but she is a part qualified beautician herself!

Luv Mrs Bean! xxxx:lol:

I USED to but NEVER will let my time and effort go for nothing.

I have had to pay for the product remover, foil, cotton wool and the heating of the room in MY house that they are sitting in. It took a while but I finally learnt that I would not offer anything for free, people don't even appreciate it.

I have had 'friends' ask me straight out if I "wanted anything" for doing their nails. I reply now would always be YES! I real friend shouldn't take the p*ss by underminding my training, passion, time and income by asking a question as well. This goes for all the client/friends (clients who sort of become friends!)

I USED to but NEVER will let my time and effort go for nothing.

I have had to pay for the product remover, foil, cotton wool and the heating of the room in MY house that they are sitting in. It took a while but I finally learnt that I would not offer anything for free, people don't even appreciate it.

I have had 'friends' ask me straight out if I "wanted anything" for doing their nails. I reply now would always be YES! I real friend shouldn't take the p*ss by underminding my training, passion, time and income by asking a question as well. This goes for all the client/friends (clients who sort of become friends!)

You are sooooo right! Go girl!
Luv Mrs Bean xxxx:)

some say that removingnails should only take around 30 minutes, it takes me 45 to an hr to remove them an i use ezflow, have also had a play with creative, i have used the bowl method and tin foil method and it sill takes ages am i doin something wrong?

Latest posts

Back