Clients abusing "1 week Guarantee"!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeycure

Reaction score
So I always give a 1 week guarantee on my Bio sets. If the gel lifts or they lose a rhine stone or whatever within a week, I fix it free of charge. This guarantee worked fine in my last salon, but in this salon it's a complete disaster!

So far, I've had 2 people come in with completely TRASHED nails within a week, expecting me to fix it! One lady was a nail biter and she actually lost 2 nails (I know this because there was no damage to her nail), but she ripped the rest off so I had to fix it free of charge after telling my boss about it.

Then the next woman was actually my boss's friend. She's a nail picker, and she actually came in on my day off and begged the other gel technician to keep quiet. She picked off a few, but she made her give her a new set because she didn't like the colour!

And get this... last week, another one of my boss's friend came in (I've had her for about 4 times now), and I did some stone art on one finger. She called in saying she lost the stones, which is fine because that's what the guarantee is for. However, now she's complaining that she doesn't like the colour either and now she wants me to change it!!

What's wrong with these people?! And my boss keeps telling me not to charge them because they're her important friends.... This is so unprofessional, and also I'm providing free labor here!

What should I do?
I want to reword my guarantee and not even bother guaranteeing to nail biters/pickers. Should I make a sign or something? Maybe have them sign something?

This is so frustrating! :grr:

I think you should only provide guarantee if clients have followed your after care advice (which is no bitting or picking the gel), also you should let them know that changing colour is not included in guarantee.. Yes, you should probably put this all down on a paper and ask them to sign it, that if the do not follow after care - they are not entitled to guarantee.. Good luck :hug:

I don't give a guarentee, it says on my after care leaflets, 'their extensions are their responsibility as soon as the leave the salon' I never tell them if they loose one in the first week I'll replace free it until they came back, 'cos if you do they abuse it. And your boss should pay you for her friends faults!!!

Maybe you can re-define the guarantee period. Maybe take it to 5 days if you still want to give a guarantee. I would also have something for them to sign, an after-care do's and don'ts sheet. You go over it with them, then they sign. I would also indicate somewhere on the sheet you can tell a lost nail from one that's been torn off. Obviously, self inflicted damage WON'T be covered.

As far as your boss' friends are concerned, I think it's very unfair of her to be asking you to do this. And if they are her 'important' friends, then why isn't your boss doing their nails?

HTH and best of luck to you! :)

Last edited:
I offer a 24 hour guarantee and that is it! I tell all my clients that if it lifts, breaks, chips or loses an element, they have 24 hours to call me for a fix--otherwise they pay for it. No ifs ands or buts!

I offer a 24 hour guarantee and that is it! I tell all my clients that if it lifts, breaks, chips or loses an element, they have 24 hours to call me for a fix--otherwise they pay for it. No ifs ands or buts!

You tell 'em Tiger!!! I never make a guarantee and you know why??? Because I KNOW my work is excellent and I know that any problems are caused by the client! Period.

well said:D

You tell 'em Tiger!!! I never make a guarantee and you know why??? Because I KNOW my work is excellent and I know that any problems are caused by the client! Period.

Same with me. I dont make a guarantee either. I talk throughout the treatment re aftercare and make sure they are happy before they leave. Occasionally i have the odd client that breaks a nail and they usually say "it was their fault". I charge for my time and it is time consuming to fix/replace the nail.

Very rarely i do not charge for a repair, but they always feel obliged to leave me a tip!

I had some clients throughout the years who would repeatedly "loose their enhancements" and will be demanding to get a set free, once you do they will be there all the time. Trust me - you may end up being full doing nails for free. Might as well set up a Nail Charity)

Hope it get sorted with your boss doll) Good luck:D

Once my clients leave the appt their nail care is up to them.
I give them aftercare advice and if they decide to abuse it then they pay for all repairs :green:

I offer a one week guarantee. and to be honest i just dont find it a problem. BUT its for if they have a problem, not a change of heart on colour!

I rarely get anyone coming back, I find it sets me apart from the competition in the area ... its very competitive around here.

maybe you need to sit down with your boss and define exactly what is covered etc.

tigi

LOL Okay that post made me feel a tons better!

And to Gigi, you're right! I do my prep properly, and I spend a heck of a time explaining to the client how important their maintenance is. Heck, I even give them a complimentary mini bottle of Solar Oil to get them started, so there is no need for me to give out a one week guarantee.

So I talked it out with the other gel tech, and we have decided to get rid of the guarantee all together. Instead, we'll be giving out a home care instruction manual, just incase they "forgot" what we told them during their appointment.

Thanks everyone <3

Latest posts

Back